Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Towns for West Dublin?

• 14-10-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭

[This started out as a response in the Clondalkin Fonthill Station thread, but I thought it was a little off topic.]
    Why close one station in Clondalkin surrounded by houses and an industrial estate to open another one surrounded by fields.
    My thoughts exactly. I've sketched a quick map below to show the future Kishoge and Clondalkin stations. Imho they should do an Adamstown on the area inside the red border. It doesn't make much sense to have rapid transit links going through fields; there should be high density residential near the stations.

clondalkinstationwg3.png

Copenhagen had the idea of 'fingers' for its suburbs, with rapid transit through the middle of each 'finger', and motorways in-between. In Dublin, it seems that we've built motorways or DCs through the middle of each suburb, with rapid transit in-between.

Another obvious area for a new town is Westmanstown on the Maynooth line. This has the dual advantage of being on a rapid transit link, as well as being close to Lucan Village and near the N4.

So what do you think? Are these suitable areas for 'New Towns', or do we have enough suburbanisation already, thank you very much!? Or any other areas in Dublin worthy of Adamstownisation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

That is the "town" of Balgaddy.

It was always planned to be the town centre for that part of Dublin (since 1972) because of the transport links but Liam Lawlor, brown envelopes, Fianna Fail etc saw that Quarryvale (Liffey Valley) was rezoned as the "town" centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

A load more commuter traffic on the M50 would also be nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

i live a 5 minute walk from the new station in clondalkin.. and i was on it today talkin to a local politician who was dead proud of the new station.. and she told me that the only reason they moved it was because the couldnt raise the track lines or something because the tracks went in a curve, so instead of two track lines theres four now. which i assume is better..

but hey.. im all for that new station..
    if anyone has ever experienced the "joyful" hour on the 78a into town , risking your life, i welcome this train station,where it takes only 9 mins to town , with open arms!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

McNuggy wrote: »
    i live a 5 minute walk from the new station in clondalkin.. and i was on it today talkin to a local politician who was dead proud of the new station.. and she told me that the only reason they moved it was because the couldnt raise the track lines or something because the tracks went in a curve, so instead of two track lines theres four now. which i assume is better..

I don't claim to understand the engineering side but it seems there is a big project to 4 track that line.
    A friend uses the Parkwest station and says their local train is always getting delayed so the Cork train can speed through. That's fair enough and has to be done but if it's 4 tracked then capacity will be way higher.
    if anyone has ever experienced the "joyful" hour on the 78a into town , risking your life, i welcome this train station,where it takes only 9 mins to town , with open arms!!!!

QFT
    Some say the 77 is the worst bus in Dublin but they're wrong, it's most definitly the 78A. I pity anyone getting it, I'll certainly never get it again.
    Good frequency and reliable and it's fine in the morning (usual suspects probably still in bed ;)) but as rough as can be up on the top deck in the evenings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

i dnt get the engineerin side either...but seein as u sed the train gets delayed cos of the tracks nt bein big enuf for 2 trains.. it kinda makes sense...

as 4 the 78a... iv had my fair share of evening journeys on it... n i hav t say id rather get a bus t the viullage n walk 4 20 mins then get 78a home.. the people on it are actually just disgusting.. a guy was burnin heroin on tinfoil beside me once wen i was foolish enuf to sit upstairs.. n the drivers jus ignore it?? sumthin defo needs t be done about that... sheer disgrace ... altho i agree its fine in the mornin up till bout ten ... n its so frequent... dam them bad eggs to hell thatr ruin it 4 the rest :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Aard wrote: »
    [This started out as a response in the Clondalkin Fonthill Station thread, but I thought it was a little off topic.]

My thoughts exactly. I've sketched a quick map below to show the future Kishoge and Clondalkin stations. Imho they should do an Adamstown on the area inside the red border. It doesn't make much sense to have rapid transit links going through fields; there should be high density residential near the stations.

clondalkinstationwg3.png

Copenhagen had the idea of 'fingers' for its suburbs, with rapid transit through the middle of each 'finger', and motorways in-between. In Dublin, it seems that we've built motorways or DCs through the middle of each suburb, with rapid transit in-between.

Another obvious area for a new town is Westmanstown on the Maynooth line. This has the dual advantage of being on a rapid transit link, as well as being close to Lucan Village and near the N4.

So what do you think? Are these suitable areas for 'New Towns', or do we have enough suburbanisation already, thank you very much!? Or any other areas in Dublin worthy of Adamstownisation?

Great post Aard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Aard wrote: »
    It doesn't make much sense to have rapid transit links going through fields; there should be high density residential near the stations.

From what I gather they needed the space for P&Rs and to facilitate the 4 tracking. They kinda had no choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i dnt get the engineerin side either...but seein as u sed the train gets delayed cos of the tracks nt bein big enuf for 2 trains.. it kinda makes sense...

as 4 the 78a... iv had my fair share of evening journeys on it... n i hav t say id rather get a bus t the viullage n walk 4 20 mins then get 78a home.. the people on it are actually just disgusting.. a guy was burnin heroin on tinfoil beside me once wen i was foolish enuf to sit upstairs.. n the drivers jus ignore it?? sumthin defo needs t be done about that... sheer disgrace ... altho i agree its fine in the mornin up till bout ten ... n its so frequent... dam them bad eggs to hell thatr ruin it 4 the rest :(

:eek::eek::eek: use English its not your mates on your phone your talking to!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

That whole area is to be developed like adamstown and its called clonburris. Kishoge will serve it as its train station.

• Advertisement
Advertisement