Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount & Blade

Options
  • 14-10-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Anybody playing this? I read a review of it in Eurogamer a couple of weeks ago (where it got 5/10, for those griping about reviews!) and dismissed it because of the poor review until I read the comments posted afterwards. Almost everyone who posted said that it was an unjustified review so I downloaded the demo to try it out. I've barely left it since and I think my wife might be packing her bags as I type this... :)
    Seriously though, the combat is amazing, especially the horseback combat. Trying to hit an enemy with an arrow shot from the back of a horse isn't as easy as it sounds!
    There's no main story to speak of, it's like Elite set in medieval times. You can be a trader, a slaver, a mercenary, a soldier, good, evil, whatever you want. Just make sure you try the combat, did I mention it's amazing? :)
    Graphically, it's not great but it has a decent following in the mod community and there are some good mods there to improve the look of it. You won't care once you try the combat though, it's amazing!
    Demo here, it's good for 30 in game days(about 8 hours real time) or level 6, whichever you hit first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think it's a fairly kick ass game. The main map areas, where you travel around are a bit baron, and it can get repetative, but the battles are great. Also the almost cult like mod community are continually making new stuff for it. Someone had made a Lord of The Rings mod that I'd wanted to try out, but had the wrong version of the beta.

There's still loads that could of been done to it to make it more accessable, but I think it was put together by a hunsband and wife team mainly on their own (I heard that somewhere but may be wrong. It sounds better if it's true, so don't question me!), and that's a fairly impressive feat especially when you see what they produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Seriously I think there is some kind of conspiracy with these game review sites and major game developers like EA or whoever else. They give the small time developers bad reviews.

But I havnt tried this game yet because the review on gamespot said no to me. Even though they fired one of there employee's cause he wrote a review about Kane and Lynch. But I just find there video reviews better for me cause im too lazy to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I've been playing it for months and its a brilliant game, i bought the beta too to play it more ( was using and older cracked version). And yes it was developed by a husband and wife and a few friends, taking that in mind its a brilliant effort. I'd recommend it 100% and the mods that are being worked on are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Im playing it and its pretty damn good kind of what you would get if you mixed Medieval Total War 2 (sort of) with Dynasty warriors (except it isnt a hack and slash) the satisfaction you go from stabbing someone with your polemarm while on horse back is unmatched

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Its fantastic, played it about a year ago for a good 4months non-stop, the MOD community for it is second to none. Lord of the Rings mod for it is excellent, and Dark Mod is also great fun. In 1066 mod you can do city siege's too, which can be very fun.

• Advertisement

You can do sieges in the the final version, it's been available the last two or three releases now, same with the roaming armies/lords of the different nations.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

City seiges are pretty crap though. Basically 1 ladder/ramp leading up the walls, and your npc's are **** at not blocking the entire thing off.

Great game overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I really like this game the last two nights I've played it. Can't understand how I've never heard of it before but I'll be registering and buying.

Such a nice solid feeling riding full tilt and slicing into somesone head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I just blew through the demo from level 1 to level 8 last night :(
    I'm thinking of buying it, but I don't really understand the tactics bit and friendly-unit control very much. When I had just one fella helping me, he'd constantly die while I killed 10 looters single-handedly.
    I ended the demo with about 40 soldiers, and they just mob everything in sight. I know the backspace menu, but I'd have preferred a built in tutorial on using it.

Also, how do you speed up your map-screen pawn? When it's just me on my horse, I can outrun anything, but when I've got a band of 40 soldiers, I crawl along :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

any song of ice and fire mods for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Balfa wrote: »
    I just blew through the demo from level 1 to level 8 last night :(
    I'm thinking of buying it, but I don't really understand the tactics bit and friendly-unit control very much. When I had just one fella helping me, he'd constantly die while I killed 10 looters single-handedly.
    I ended the demo with about 40 soldiers, and they just mob everything in sight. I know the backspace menu, but I'd have preferred a built in tutorial on using it.

Also, how do you speed up your map-screen pawn? When it's just me on my horse, I can outrun anything, but when I've got a band of 40 soldiers, I crawl along :(

I don't have a band of people so don't know for sure but hovering over dried meat in my inventory suggests that improves morale and increases party speed on overview map. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

You can also hire mostly mounted soldiers and they'll have a similar speed to you...

I've gone through several stages of absolutely loving this game ;) The recent additions to being able to capture your own castles/towns and effectively, starting your own faction makes it truly epic :D

But if you intend to play it much at all and you have a decent computer, make sure you investigate the 500 soldier cap mod. Atm, the most soldiers in a fight is 25 or 50 aside, which can mean hours of reinforcements in the bigger fights and just seems silly. The mod allows for upto 500 aside and makes keep sieges all the more interesting ;)

If you have foot soldiers in your army, it is said that putting three cheap horses in your inventory will speed up your map movement. Having a Cav only army is the fastest way of moving around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Anyone have any links to these mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Stev_o wrote: »
    Anyone have any links to these mods?

Mount and Blade repository was always the site of choice for M&B mods, but it's been down for a few days, should be back soon, linky:
    http://www.mbrepository.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Are there any good mods for whatever the newest official release version is? I've been playing the Lotr mod in an old beta too much and haven't bothered to even install the released game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's a graphics update which is pretty cool. As for gameplay mods, I'd say the good ones wont' come out for a month or two.

Advertisement