Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car park with Bike Racks

Options
  • 14-10-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Anyone know if the car parks in Dublin city centre have racks for locking your bike? I'm specifically trying to find out about Drury Street.
    I'm thinking not due to all the bikes locked around town but I thought I'd double check.

There have been other threads about the safest place to lock bikes in town but I didn't see car parks mentioned.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

How disappointing, the wiki server is down. There are three car parks listed on it with bike parking. Brown Thomas was one I think. I can't recall the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Thanks Verb I didn't event think to check there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Dawson street was another, but you have to pay a one off fee for a key.
    However, somebody was on here over the last few weeks saying that they were no longer giving out keys as there were too many in circulation already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Theres a carpark on fleet street which has a cycle rack that is free. The rack itself is near the carpark office which always has a guy in it. But theres a wall between it and the rack so safety wise id be a bit skeptical. Someone could easily walk straight in and snip the lock and be relatively out of view. On the plus side your bike is out of sight which combats the opportunist bike thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

Thanks for the replies. That one on Fleet Street sounds pretty good.
    I nipped into Drury street car park last night, they don't have a rack but I made an arrangement* with the security guy. He said it would be ok to leave my bike there and showed me a railing I could use near his hut. I only need it once a week while I’m in class.

I'm quite surprised that it's not standard to have sets of bike racks in car parks.

*nothing seedy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

LDB wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised that it's not standard to have sets of bike racks in car parks.

It is now, but tend to be in the worst possible locations.......in the deepest darkest coners furthest from the entrance :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It is now, but tend to be in the worst possible locations.......in the deepest darkest coners furthest from the entrance :confused:
    I've also noticed that they tend to be those crappy ones which you can only lock a wheel to unless you lay the bike down on it and block everyone else from using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Racks like this ?
    low_bike_rack.jpg

I just reverse my bike into those and lock the rear wheel through the triangle onto the rack, then lock the front wheel to the frame with another lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

locktechnique1.jpg

Advertisement