Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt

Options
  • 14-10-2008 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I am buying a 04 BMW 318ci Coupe off a friend of mine in a couple of weeks. The car looks in good shape and has only had one owner over the last 4 years. The mileage on the car is around 52K. I have heard from a couple of people that I may need to get the timing belt changed in the next year or so when my mileage approaches the 60K mark, is this true? I have heard cars needing a new timing belt after 50 or 60K but I assume that it varies with the make of car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I am buying a 04 BMW 318ci Coupe off a friend of mine in a couple of weeks. The car looks in good shape and has only had one owner over the last 4 years. The mileage on the car is around 52K. I have heard from a couple of people that I may need to get the timing belt changed in the next year or so when my mileage approaches the 60K mark, is this true? I have heard cars needing a new timing belt after 50 or 60K but I assume that it varies with the make of car?

Your car doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain, which doesn't have a scheduled replacement interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on the make and model of car, some use timing belts, some use timing chains. A timing belt has a shorter life span than a timing chain and needs to be changed at shorter intervals.

Afaik the 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engine in the 04 318ci is chain driven which means it should not need changing until well over 100k miles or whenever BMW recommend.

A quick phone call to a BMW dealer will confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

timing chain in a BMW will never have to be replaced only the tensioners may have to be replaced

Advertisement