Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skin problem !any ideas ?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

hey !! my 5yr old lab has dry patches of skin on all four legs and they are slighty lumpy patches and the hair has come off the area!! :( the vet suggested that its because we have concret slabs out the back which shes lys on but im not totally convinced thats the case! i attached a photo although its not the best as my cameras c**p !! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭turtle dubh

molly(",) wrote: »
    hey !! my 5yr old lab has dry patches of skin on all four legs and they are slighty lumpy patches and the hair has come off the area!! :( the vet suggested that its because we have concret slabs out the back which shes lys on but im not totally convinced thats the case! i attached a photo although its not the best as my cameras c**p !! :p

Hi my 11 yr old lab has them to and it is from lying on my driveway which is concrete and tarmac. She has them for a good few years. The vet has looked at them and she fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

they are just pressure points where the dog lies on them, most bigger breeds will have them, i have a rottie who gets them too. They arent serious at all.

Try rubbing vaseline or coconut oil into them to keep them soft and to encourage hair to grow back, the coconut oil is great for that, but you kind of need to put it on most days.
    Just make sure the bedding they lie on is not too thin either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

thanks just wanted to make sure as everbody i asked was none the wiser!!!! i alreasy put vaseline on them but probely not enough as i should will do from now on !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If there's a favourite spot he lies on, you could try buying one of those dog frame hammock things - it's like a tube-steel square frame with four legs about six to eight inches high, and a sort of heavy-duty material like shadecloth forms the bedding part. They have a lot of give in them so when the dog lies on them they're comfortable and not as hard on the bits that touch the ground when they lie down. They look a bit like a square one of those mini exercise trampolines.

The material is waterproof so you can leave them out in all weathers - if it gets rained on, the water wicks away pretty quickly.

My cat's got the same deal on his heels - two little pink bald patches that are pressure points from where he lies and sits. I check them out every so often to make sure they're not scabbing or sort, but they're just like a bald callous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

our lab sleeps on one of these:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3662490/Trail/searchtext%3ETRAMPOLINE.htm

It's grand, he likes being off the damp ground and on something cushy! Nice place for him to sun himself too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

awh brill i seen the beds for dogs looks simalar but thats much cheaper !! she sleep in the house in a a massive bed but shes so lazy when shes out the back all shes does is try sun herself or sleep:rolleyes: !! tanks for the help :D

Advertisement