Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card for COD4

Options
  • 14-10-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

I discovered my brother in law had purchased a copy of COD4 for his PC but is unable to play it as his graphics card (Geforce FX 6600) does not meet the min requirements. I told him I would source a new card and install it and would greatly appreciate some advice here on what card to go for.

The box states the min graphics cards as Geforce 6600 or Radeon 9800pro but I am guessing that these cards are a little on the old side now.

Unfortunately my brother in laws PC has an AGP port which will complicate things I think. I am pasting some relevant specs below and would appreciate any recommendations that would do enough to run the game albeit not at maxed out resolution / features and not break the bank at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4E, 3000 MHz (3.75 x 800)
    Motherboard Name Intel Rock Lake D865PERL (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE
    System Memory 1021 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (06/28/04)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

System Slot Properties:
    Slot Designation J5C1
    Type AGP 4x
    Usage In Use
    Data Bus Width 32-bit
    Length Long

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

There is no such card as an FX 6600. I would suggest that its an fx5600 or something. Anyway the AGP x4 is going to bottleneck the graphics card. You can get 3850s for AGP but as I said it will be bottlenecked by the AGP x4 slot.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=378202

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

There is no such card as an FX 6600. I would suggest that its an fx5600 or something. Anyway the AGP x4 is going to bottleneck the graphics card. You can get 3850s for AGP but as I said it will be bottlenecked by the AGP x4 slot.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=378202

Yup you are correct, it was an FX 5500, I got myself mixed up with the Geforce 6600. Either way, it is insufficient to run COD.

Funnily enough I was looking at that exact card you posted but was hoping to find something a little cheaper, mainly as I fully expect my brother in law to play the game in 800x600 or some such resolution. He is the epitome of a casual gamer only playing the SP game. I expect the fact that it is an AGP card I need it wouldn't necessarily be cheaper and harder to find.

How does the Radeon HD 3850 stack up against the recommended graphics cards?.

btw, thanks for your reply. it is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Brando_ie wrote: »
    How does the Radeon HD 3850 stack up against the recommended graphics cards?.

Grand, more than enough poke to run Cod 4 on high settings on 1024 x 768.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Even with the 4x limitation the 3850 would get by on high settings without too much trouble. But you'd really need to make sure your psu had enough juice to run it, chances are it doesn't.

Just get this, 60 quid, and more then enough to fly through the game at mid-high at normal resolutions. I have an 8400GT in my laptop roughly about the same speed as a desktop 7600GT and I get by on 1280x800 high textures, other settings off and it's grand - looks and playability wise.

Another 512mb of ram at least wouldn't go amiss either, the difference between even 1 and 1.5gb is really worth it.

The Fx5500 is worth about 15-20 quid second hand by the way, to give you a little cash back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

ATI X850 PE agp
    Put one in the nephews system plays perfect

Think it was €50 all in on ebay (shipping included) about 6-8months ago so maybe cheaper now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jesus joe...that's a crap card for that cpu+board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

Matthew AKA FAT BAST*rd go piss up a flag pole .

Good solid cheap card . WHats ur advice ,

Did ya aquire ur new ATI yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Joeface wrote: »
    Matthew AKA COLEMAN AKA FAT BAST*rd go piss up a flag pole .

Good solid cheap card . WHats ur advice ,

Did ya aquire ur new ATI yet .

4870X2..have it about a month man..fantastic card...even at 1920x1200 and 4xAA 16xAF I'm getting a constant 90fps...that's the reason I'm kicking your ass in COD4 every night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

4870X2..have it about a month man..fantastic card...even at 1920x1200 and 4xAA 16xAF I'm getting a constant 90fps...that's the reason I'm kicking your ass in COD4 every night :D

can ive some money please?

Advertisement