Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Budget discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

oh good god almighty were all gonna go homeless and have to sell our limbs because of the evil budget made by the evil greedy government and their sweaty builder buddies....... oh noez we are all doomed :(

:pac:
    Am i the only one here that doesnt give a ****?

People are acting as if its the end of the f*cking world its only a f*cking budget. calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

€100 for a and e charge,,,so all the hard working people on the medical card can still nip in for free and if my child suddenly cracks his head open i have to find 100 from somewhere??? How the hell so they expect people to be able to afford that:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've worked it out. between increased petrol costs, increased car tax, and employment levy's, and the higher unemplyment benefit, combined with the ridiculous cost of childminding, I am making a massive €35 per weekbyt having a job versus being on the dole. Thats less than a euro per hour that I actually work. The goverment just keeps screwing me right over.

Before anyone jumps up saying anything I work in a secure job making a decent average wage, but its getting incredibly hard to get up in the morning for €7 per day.

Work hard and get a promotion/get a new job/study and get (further) educated. Drive a more efficient car in relation to the new car tax system to on save car tax and hopefully petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Kensington wrote: »
    [/mindless ranting mode off] :pac:

In fairness you'd get far, far better facilities for the fees that you'd pay abroad. Far far better. And if something was to improve for the extra €600 they're going to charge each person then absolutely, go for it, but I think we all know damn well that not one cent of that extra €600 will actually end up being funded back into colleges...

I know a single cent wont go back to the colleges. I'm not sure the minister said it would, I certainly don't remember an increase in third level funding being introduced today. But "free" college is a massive burden/weight on the government, one a lot of other countries governments won't take. Maybe we can't afford it right now.
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    I think the poster said that as soon as he finished College he was off.

Thats my point if the poster was so desperate to get out of the country why not go to college abroad. Probably because its a lot more expensive. So he will take the cheaper education here yet still moan about it, and then f*ck off and pay his taxes elsewhere. Now I'm not saying that you "owe" the government anything after going through education especially with 1500 reg fees, but bitching about the registration fees yet making full use of the cheaper education when you have every intention of leaving the country straight after seems stupid to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The Green Party in Government has ensured that the most vulnerable people in our society are protected

This is what happens when you put a bunch of tree hugging pussies into the government, just unbelieveable cheek....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The €200 council tax is on second homes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Thats my point if the poster was so desperate to get out of the country why not go to college abroad. Probably because its a lot more expensive. So he will take the cheaper education here yet still moan about it, and then f*ck off and pay his taxes elsewhere. Now I'm not saying that you "owe" the government anything after going through education especially with 1500 reg fees, but bitching about the registration fees yet making full use of the cheaper education seems stupid to me.

He is still contributing to the economy while he is here even though he is still taking advantage of the lower college fees. When he finishes college and if he feels he can get a better standard/quality of living elsewhere, good luck to him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If I go on the dole I don't work and therefore don't have to pay any of the charges associated with work i.e petrol, childminder, motor tax, etc then I work out €35 a week better off. How does that not compute to you. If I stay at home drawing the dole I don't have to pay all these.

The dole is the better option for about 70% of the country at this stage... I'd love to see it happen, if only to re-inforce what an epic failure this budget was...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If I go on the dole I don't work and therefore don't have to pay any of the charges associated with work i.e petrol, childminder, motor tax, etc then I work out €35 a week better off. How does that not compute to you. If I stay at home drawing the dole I don't have to pay all these. How am I being childish by thinking workin for that little extra isn't worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

no one held a gun to your head to have kids/buy a car etc. you were free to float around bumming off the dole or working with more disposable income if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Shmuck wrote: »
    I don't think this budget went far enough, they should of been tougher. They're just delaying the envitable by having a reasonably soft budget, and I say this as someone who earns just slightly above minimum wage. Only I'm not greedy and selfish like your average Irish person. Unlike you lot I don't have a cocaine habit to feed and I'm not an alco. I don't own a gass guzzling range rover to get me to my work which is 20 minutes away from my flat.

We are all in this mess together and everyone has to make big sacrifices. I'm sorry the income levy wasn't about 5% for everyone. Its not like we can't afford it, I earn peanuts, pay ridicoulous rent money for a bedsit, but could still easily afford it. In fact I wouldn't mind if we all just had to throw a grand or two at the government every year to speed up our recovery process and get the celtic tiger back on track.

*feels smug and looks down with contempt on the cretinous vultures in this thread*

I wouldnt be against it either, but what would happen with the extra money we would give them?

If they could use the money to get jobs into the country its fine by me.

They shouldnt have touched petrol and car tax, its too expensive as it is and will only go against job creation/sustainment.

I am very disappointed they didnt increase the price on cans of drink and bottles.We drink too much at home and they are much too cheap.

You can get 20 bottles of bud for €14 in tesco etc and they charge €4.50 a bottle in the pubs.The margin is too big and it would have made much more sense to increase tax on them instead of cigarettes etc.A significant increase in drinks in shops would have meant some people quiting, more customers for pubs, taxis, fast food restaurants etc etc.

I was out on saturday night and say two barmen filling up the fridge with 3 case's of miller from Tesco, thats unfair tbh.

He is still contributing to the economy while he is here even though he is still taking advantage of the lower college fees. When he finishes college and if he feels he can get a better standard/quality of living elsewhere, good luck to him imo.

Thats why I said I don't think you owe the government anything. Damn right good look to him if he can get a better living of standard abroad.

But right now he is getting a better education for the money he is paying then he would be if he tried to get college in many other countries.

So yes get your education here, and then leave, but don't moan about reg fees and start shouting that I'm out of here because this country is so crap but I'll take my nice education before I leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

If I go on the dole I don't work and therefore don't have to pay any of the charges associated with work i.e petrol, childminder, motor tax, etc then I work out €35 a week better off. How does that not compute to you. If I stay at home drawing the dole I don't have to pay all these. How am I being childish by thinking workin for that little extra isn't worth it?

Levy of 1% on my already smalll wages!
    car tax, petrol etc going up,a feckin car parkin fee of 200 per annum for work.
    This is like a very bad joke!
    the government had heaps of cash for the last couple of years and blew it on god knows what!
    The country is gone way too PC!!!
    And next we will have the Environmental budget .God only knows what those crowd of tree huggers will have us doing next.
    cycling to work is ok but i live 26km from work!!!
    All I know is this!

everything is going up except my feckin wages!!!

AND YE WILL STILL VOTE IN Fianna FAIL in the morning if there was an election!

GO Figure:eek:

Tony Broke wrote: »

I am very disappointed they didnt increase the price on cans of drink and bottles.We drink too much at home and they are much too cheap.

You can get 20 bottles of bud for €14 in tesco etc and they charge €4.50 a bottle in the pubs.The margin is too big and it would have made much more sense to increase tax on them instead of cigarettes etc.A significant increase in drinks in shops would have meant some people quiting, more customers for pubs, taxis, fast food restaurants etc etc.

I was out on saturday night and say two barmen filling up the fridge with 3 case's of miller from Tesco, thats unfair tbh.

+1 Off-Licence drink sales would have been a better place to hit then petrol. Especially as people can choose to drink, some people have to drive.

They already hit the off licences with the closing time restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Is the e200 cark parking tax just for urban areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

talk about a sneaky little tax!!!
    unreal!
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

AntiRip wrote: »

Yeah but he hasn't defined what an "urban area" is.

the government had heaps of cash for the last couple of years and blew it on god knows what!

It certainly appears that we did not get value for money over the last 10 years and certainly it appears that little planning was done for the inevitable downturn in the economy.

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Yeah but he hasn't defined what an "urban area" is.

Exactly! I work in a factory in a small town, so don't know. How the hell would they enforce this? Could I just park the car down the road from the factory and walk the rest of the way?

DarkJager wrote: »
    They already hit the off licences with the closing time restrictions.

ok, but has the actually stopped anyone getting drink. I would seriously doubt that has effected their sales. People just buy earlier or stock up now. In fact it may have even worked out good for them as their staff automatically went down(assuming most off-license staff are paid per hour).

Plus this didn't get the government any extra revenue. I was comparing an increase in petrol/motor tax V increase in off-license. I know they wouldn't cancel each other out. But it could have taken some of the burden off the motorist.

talk about a sneaky little tax!!!
    unreal!
    j

I hate the way the "Greens" bring in these sh1tty taxes, raise car tax, raise petrol, carbon tax next year. I have to drive 90 miles daily to and from work and have no other alternative. Do they want ppl like me just to go on the dole! What a bunch :mad:

Plus this didn't get the government any extra revenue. I was comparing an increase in petrol/motor tax V increase in off-license. I know they wouldn't cancel each other out. But it could have taken some of the burden off the motorist.

And it is not just the motorist that will be hit, more expensive to get goods to shops now which no doubt we all will have to pay for.

Exactly! I work in a factory in a small town, so don't know. How the hell would they enforce this? Could I just park the car down the road from the factory and walk the rest of the way?

Apart from the urban definition I think how its gonna work is this.

Company has building. Company has X amount of parking spaces. Company is charged X number of spaces * 200. Company decides if they pay for it, or the pass it on to the employees using the spaces.

What I am wondering is can a company that currently has 20 spaces but only uses ten can they turn around and go but we only use ten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

No beer price increase :)

More income from fags :)

More income from depressed single women in their early 30s who sit on their arse downing wine and watching sh1t on Living= profit.

ok, but has the actually stopped anyone getting drink. I would seriously doubt that has effected their sales. People just buy earlier or stock up now. In fact it may have even worked out good for them as their staff automatically went down(assuming most off-license staff are paid per hour).

So staff losing their jobs is now a good thing??? The off licence restrictions probably haven't dented their sales, but its another example of this governments sheer contempt for the people. Its a ****ing nanny state - they dictate what we do and if we don't like it then tough sh1t..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And it is not just the motorist that will be hit, more expensive to get goods to shops now which no doubt we all will have to pay for.

Don't forget the rise in Vat...everybody's gonna have to take the hit..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

what's this, we have pay parking in the town, is this an extra?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

DarkJager wrote: »
    they dictate what we do and if we don't like it then tough sh1t..

I know lol.

In France or wherever they would take themselves to the streets and protest for days.

We on the other hand will just bitch about it.

Advertisement