Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Budget discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

DarkJager wrote: »
    So staff losing their jobs is now a good thing??? The off licence restrictions probably haven't dented their sales, but its another example of this governments sheer contempt for the people. Its a ****ing nanny state - they dictate what we do and if we don't like it then tough sh1t..

Where did I say staff lost their jobs? You seem to have jumped to the extreme end of things very quickly

Staff got their hours cut I didn't here any claims of job losses after the new hours were brought in.

The government being a nanny state is really a separate issue from the budget. I tend to agree especially when it comes to the drinking hours in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

Does anyone know if the VAT Threshold was increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally some good news - there's no increase in the price of craic. It remains at 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Its a ****ing nanny state - they dictate what we do and if we don't like it then tough sh1t..

Yeah I wished we lived in a democracy where we could vote them out. Oh wait we do.

I find it strange how so many people when you ask them are pissed off with Fianna Fail but will happily vote them back into power repeatedly. It's no wonder FF treat us with contempt. We're gluttons for punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nice to see that if yer not married then its open season on yer income. Ha good oul holy catholic ireland, are there not like eu laws about our rights or some such sh** to stop discrimination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

javaboy wrote: »
    Yeah I wished we lived in a democracy where we could vote them out. Oh wait we do.

I find it strange how so many people when you ask them are pissed off with Fianna Fail but will happily vote them back into power repeatedly. It's no wonder FF treat us with contempt. We're gluttons for punishment.

The thing is we are not blessed with a good oposition, Kenny blew the last election for them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bambi wrote: »
    Nice to see that if yer not married then its open season on yer income. Ha good oul holy catholic ireland, are there not like eu laws about our rights or some such sh** to stop discrimination?

As far as I know, the allowance is split between the couple so it only benefits those couples where one of them is not working. You do know it is possible to be married outside of the Catholic church, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I didnt vote for them.

But really, what option do most people have. The other shower are just as bad. Better the devil you know maybe?

This country really needs a new political party, but then any new party wouldnt be a wet week in power before they are corrupted by power and money. That's the problem with people.

Democracy is a bag of shoite but its the best we have.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    The thing is we are not blessed with a good oposition, Kenny blew the last election for them imo.

The electorate blew the last election.

The electorate blew the last election.

The govt were there for the taking, the oposition blew it, they should have got rid of Kenny after the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Where did I say staff lost their jobs? You seem to have jumped to the extreme end of things very quickly

Staff got their hours cut I didn't here any claims of job losses after the new hours were brought in.

The government being a nanny state is really a separate issue from the budget. I tend to agree especially when it comes to the drinking hours in the country.
    I heard from somewhere they are opening earlier???

caoibhin wrote: »
    I didnt vote for them.

I officially grant you permission to whinge. :D
    But really, what option do most people have. The other shower are just as bad. Better the devil you know maybe?

The problem is that FF know that seems to be the prevailing attitude so they don't fear an electoral backlash very much. There's very little accountability because the people aren't willing to punish their politicians. Just look at the amount of scandal that has surrounded FF recently. In the UK government ministers voluntarily resign if they accidentally filled out their planning permission form incorrectly. Over here they'd have to be dragged out of office kicking and screaming even if they committed murder.
    This country really needs a new political party, but then any new party wouldnt be a wet week in power before they are corrupted by power and money. That's the problem with people.

Unfortunately I'd say the only chance of a new major political power on the horizon is some kind of BNP style party.

The problem is that FF know that seems to be the prevailing attitude so they don't fear an electoral backlash very much. There's very little accountability because the people aren't willing to punish their politicians. Just look at the amount of scandal that has surrounded FF recently. In the UK government ministers voluntarily resign if they accidentally filled out their planning permission form incorrectly. Over here they'd have to be dragged out of office kicking and screaming even if they committed murder.

Unfortunately I'd say the only chance of a new major political power on the horizon is some kind of BNP style party.

True their is not a culture here of resignation and as said the oposition here are very weak. The BNP has very little support in the UK and could not see that style of party getiing a foothold here.

TBH I am not suprised we were colonised on and off since the 9th century we just lap up sh1t like it were a three course dinner. All we are going to do about our woes regarding the budget is bitch and moan on the internet and in pubs. We deserve what we get because we take it so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

As much as i dis-like the french i forone think the people of this country need to follow what french do and riot in the streets. The current rescission is an excuse for increase in just about everything. I feel sorry for the OAP over 70 who have to get means tested to avail of a free medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

jay-me wrote: »
    TBH I am not suprised we were colonised on and off since the 9th century we just lap up sh1t like it were a three course dinner. All we are going to do about our woes regarding the budget is bitch and moan on the internet and in pubs. We deserve what we get because we take it so easily.

true lol

unfortunately we have one defining abiity and that is to take a raping like this like none other :rolleyes:

if they tried to do this sh!t in France there would be uproar and to think how easily they surrendered in WW2 :confused:

come a long way they have :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So staff losing their jobs is now a good thing??? The off licence restrictions probably haven't dented their sales, but its another example of this governments sheer contempt for the people. Its a ****ing nanny state - they dictate what we do and if we don't like it then tough sh1t..

Yeah well rumour has it that there will be a new charge on off sales but that it won't be brought in until after the christmas.

True their is not a culture here of resignation and as said the oposition here are very weak.

They're not really that weak imo. No weaker than FF really.
    The BNP has very little support in the UK and could not see that style of party getiing a foothold here.

I don't know about that. Take a look at any of the Roma, Nigerian or general immigrant related threads here on AH and tell me there isn't an appetite for a far-right nationalist party.

Also a lot of people who would never normally voice their anti-immigrant views publicly might behave a little differently in the anonymous comfort of a polling booth.

Vanbis wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the OAP over 70 who have to get means tested to avail of a free medical card.

I think the means testing is long overdue. I haven't seen the actual threshold used so it could be unfair but the idea makes sense. I mean why should a financially comfortable 75 year old with a decent pension income get free medical care? It doesn't make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

The BNP has very little support in the UK and could not see that style of party getiing a foothold here.

I really hope your right.

But if history has shown us anything its that in times of strife and crisis, people tend to lean towards the more extreme politics, be that to the far left of right.

While some of the comments about immigrants on boards.ie and some comments i have overheard in bars and on the street, are just people mouthing off, there is no doubt that there is a growing intolerance and racism in this little island.

Some of the comments about the less fortunate people on social welfare and migrants on Boards today have left me despairing. Its not too far fetched to suggest a similarity to Germany in the 1930's where the people needed to find a scapegoat for their problems and were happily egged on by more sinister elements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    No beer price increase :)

More income from fags :)

More income from depressed single women in their early 30s who sit on their arse downing wine and watching sh1t on Living= profit.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'm quoting Brian Lenihan here on Prime Time in front of me here:

"36% of people working in Ireland are outside the tax net".

I don't believe a system that has pretty close to 50% of the people who are in employment, paying no tax whatsoever, is workable in the long term. We all use public services, so we should all be contributing towards these services.

Could he not have even got 10 Euro off every person who pays no tax whatsoever???

Businesses have done better than any person out of the good times. Is it not time for them to put their shoulder to the wheel and take an increase in Corporation Tax???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

The BNP's foothold in the UK is in the working class areas, where they prey on people's insecurities and ignorances. I cansee this becoming prevalent in 5 years time when the sh/t has really hit the fan and we are still as overcrowded as ever.

I have just finished a degree and masters, and I am struggling to find work. Now I am not saying the govt. is fully to blame here, but it just seems that every second story you read is another skeleton coming out of the closet, more corruption, and more FF policies that will screw the single earner.

I think I will have to suck things up and get a McJob. But as soon as I have earnt enough for an airfare, I am out of this sh/thole.

Volvoboy wrote: »

Will someone please think of the children...
    Sitting at home without two crusts to rub together while good aul dad is down the local having a pint of plain.

Didn't Angela's ashes teach ye anything?

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I'm quoting Brian Lenihan here on Prime Time in front of me here:

"36% of people working in Ireland are outside the tax net".

I don't believe a system that has pretty close to 50% of the people who are in employment, paying no tax whatsoever, is workable in the long term. We all use public services, so we should all be contributing towards these services.

Could he not have even got 10 Euro off every person who pays no tax whatsoever???

I'm not sure but I'd say a lot of countries have similar percentages of people working tax free.

And he is taking money off everyone. 1% levy.

Volvoboy wrote: »

I love Youtube comments. Somebody asked why they all have beards and where they're from. So somebody replies "The reason for the beards is that these poor men are Muslim radicals incarcerated in Guantanamo bay by the evil Americans. The 'Pint of Plain' they refer to is a well-known Islamic alcohol-free beer, free available in their home country."

The BNP's foothold in the UK is in the working class areas, where they prey on people's insecurities and ignorances. I cansee this becoming prevalent in 5 years time when the sh/t has really hit the fan and we are still as overcrowded as ever.

Yes it tends to be in working class areas but in England they still have very little support certainly in terms of councils/MP.

I would like to think it would be the same here, but who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'm not sure but I'd say a lot of countries have similar percentages of people working tax free.

And he is taking money off everyone. 1% levy.

Well he has just said that no other country has managed to keep as many people out of the tax net. It seems to me that outside of the building industry, a lot of the employment creation has been in the low paid/low skill area. These people, we are now being told, have been fully outside the tax net.

I'd respect the man more if he put the boot in and made a half decent effort to sort out the root causes of the problem, which is the current expenditure. He needed to take out a fu*kin' angle grinder to public sector pay. He hasn't done it and until he does do it, nothing he says or does will make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

caoibhin wrote: »

Some of the comments about the less fortunate people on social welfare and migrants on Boards today have left me despairing. Its not too far fetched to suggest a similarity to Germany in the 1930's where the people needed to find a scapegoat for their problems and were happily egged on by more sinister elements.
    I agree I'm in a relatively low paid job and am pi$$ed off about the budget today but at the same I'd much rather be in my situation than that of someone on the dole. And the truth be known I can't gaurantee that I won't be out of a job in the next few months myself, as I work in a small company which could easily go under unless business picks up and I'm sure there are many others in the same boat.
    Its unfair to say people on social welfare are there by choice or are well able to work because for the majority that is just not the case.

Advertisement