Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Budget discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

So we are dealing with incompetent and blundering buffoons who were incapable of the fundamental economics of the average family -- in the good times, save a bit for the bad. Now we, the taxpayers, pick up the bill. OK, so there will in due course be a general election, and we can be rid of Brian x 2. But then what? Labour? FG? SF? PDs (or sorry--forgot), Greens? I don't know about the rest of ye, but I am fast becoming an anarchist (look it up-- believer in the absence of government).:mad:

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know, could be worse. At least booze didn't go up.

Is VAT not applied to booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

TimAy wrote: »
    I will happily be paying the ten euro to get as far away from this country as possible once I graduate.

Likewise. So sick of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Perhaps the Wolf Tones can re release this track as a tribute to Brian Lenihan :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8xcGEbmHXU&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I will hold this current government responsible for the premature deaths of thousands of old age pensioners in this country.

Many elderly were brought up during the war era when they lived through an time when families saved and skimped on everything in daily life from food vouchers, switching off lights, even cutting down on heating, they repaired everything instead of replacing. My 86Yo father is an example.

My father is privileged that he still has a family and a GP that he knows as a personal friend to make sure he takes his prescriptions. There are thousands of elderly that are on their own who have no family or GP connections. Their health is now in serious jeopardy because they are in danger of skimping on their vital prescriptions such as warfrin and heart medication to save a few cents. Brian Lenihan you will have blood on your hands.

I'd just like to clarify this. I wouldn't argue that the proposed means testing for medical cards is probably going to be a complete cock up. I just believe that there's nothing wrong with means testing in theory. It's just the actual threshold used that will be a problem.
    pithater1 wrote: »
    And you were doing so well... :D:eek::pac:

:D He was wasn't he? He just couldn't resist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bambi wrote: »
    Im all for free fogey transport but the midicil card should be means linked

I'm not even saying your wrong, but here's why I believe that the medical card for the elderly should have been left alone.

Those monies could have been drawn back from other means, ie the ATM charge being reduced from €10 per year to €5-. Like, who gives a flying fvck. (to name but one)

But there's not only that. What kind of message those this send out to the elderly?.

I'll tell you what it reads like to me, ''Now your 65, hurry up to 70 and die you greedy fvcker''.

It tells me that we don't value our elderly, they've become a burden to us.

I don't care if my elderly neighbours are racking it in still, or are bearly keeping the wolves from the door. I value them all, I cherish the contribution they've made to Ireland and I believe their last years should be made as comfortable and less stressful as possible.

As for the rest of the budget, I've other view's on that but not as strong as I feel about the medical card.

I feel the government done a despicable, greedy and uncaring thing - BASTARDS.

EX-FF voter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hmmm.....just read this interesting article.

http://www.rte.ie/money/budget2009/stories/2008/1015/budgetlenihan.html

It seems Me. Lenihan is quite prepared to keep taxing us more & more if we continue to shop in the north to try to avoid the "Rip-Off Ireland" prices. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mairt wrote: »
    I'm not even saying your wrong, but here's why I believe that the medical card for the elderly should have been left alone.

Those monies could have been drawn back from other means, ie the ATM charge being reduced from €10 per year to €5-. Like, who gives a flying fvck. (to name but one)

But there's not only that. What kind of message those this send out to the elderly?.

I'll tell you what it reads like to me, ''Now your 65, hurry up to 70 and die you greedy fvcker''.

I don't care if my elderly neighbours are racking it in still, or are bearly keeping the wolves from the door. I value them all, I cherish the contribution they've made to Ireland and I believe their last years should be made as comfortable and less stressful as possible.

As for the rest of the budget, I've other view's on that but not as strong as I feel about the medical card.

EX-FF voter here.

I'm not one to believe a sneaky wagon like harney on the amounts that this will affect but when Tony O'Reilly is entitled to a medical card there's a problem. Our health system is fundamentally f*****d though, regardless of whos on the medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

vinylmesh wrote: »
    You're saying we should punish those that were wise enough to save up for their retirement?

that's how i read it too, so someone put some cash together for when the where not working. My father in law will now face this, he has recently been made redundant at retirement age, with 40 years in the company he received a half decent "retirement" fund. but he is expected to live on this with his wife and maybe the pension an pay all his medical bills. it's farcical
    Seemingly this €10 tax on flights is not payable on planes with less than 20 seats.

So the super rich jet set don't have to pay it!

FF looking out for their friends once again:mad:

I'm wondering is this tax maybe against the equality act? i mean those suffering from disability are also exempt from the fee as are people living on the islands off galway etc, so me and an able bodied dubliner have to pay it so am I not being discriminated against because i'm not and islander and also because i don't suffer from a disability?
    Likewise. So sick of this country.

too right seriously thinking of getting out now, i think the final nail will be if they try a sneaky mid year mini budget

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Again that was invented by haughey to buy some OAP votes.

Im all for free fogey transport but the medical card should be means linked

The Haughey thing was part of a Govt plan to address a whole range of issues covering education, health and industry that allowed us to get going. Much as it galls some people there was at a time when he was doing some good for the country.

Personally think the car for over 70s was a very poorly thought-out scheme and one that really only seems to benefit doctors. Pure vote-buying for sure but the basic principle of it , is not unreasonable.

One of the unforeseen or foreseen effects if you are in Govt. is that over 70s now will also have to pay the Health levy of 2%. While they had a card they were not liable. Now they get a 3% tax bill (Health levy + income levy) on top of the loss of 5% of the interest on any savings they might have, while the Govt. works out whether they qualify or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

is_that_so wrote: »
    One of the unforeseen or foreseen effects if you are in Govt. is that over 70s now will also have to pay the Health levy of 2%. While they had a card they were not liable. Now they get a 3% tax bill (Health levy + income levy) on top of the loss of 5% of the interest on any savings they might have, while the Govt. works out whether they qualify or not.

Ouch, that's really bad!

javaboy wrote: »
    I'd just like to clarify this. I wouldn't argue that the proposed means testing for medical cards is probably going to be a complete cock up. I just believe that there's nothing wrong with means testing in theory. It's just the actual threshold used that will be a problem.
    My father is a retired shift engineer from the ESB, his pension would be a lot more than the average industrial take home which would automatically leave him without a medical card.

He dropped out of the VHI scheme when the free medical for over 70ies came into effect. His wife is confined to a private nursing home in South Dublin at a cost of €1200 a week which is almost double his pension when psychotherapy and wheelchair taxi fares are taken into consideration.

His savings will last probably at the very latest another year. He may be then forced to sell the family home where other dependant members of the family still live.

I would like to hear Mary Harneys answers to where my father now stands.

I'm not one to believe a sneaky wagon like harney on the amounts that this will affect but when Tony O'Reilly is entitled to a medical card there's a problem. Our health system is fundamentally f*****d though, regardless of whos on the medical

That's my point. Although it's very unlikely that someone like Tony O'Reilly would lower himself to public healthcare :D there are plenty of people who are getting free healthcare and don't need it. I was listening to the radio this morning and apparently some over 70's were ringing in saying they never use their medical card and have private healthcare but are angry that this entitlement is being taken from them. There's something slightly wrong there.
    My father is a retired shift engineer from the ESB, his pension would be a lot more than the average industrial take home which would automatically leave him without a medical card.

He dropped out of the VHI scheme 7 years ago when the free medical for over 70ies came into effect. His wife is confined to a private nursing home in South Dublin at a cost of €1200 a week which is almost double his pension when psychotherapy and wheelchaire taxi fares are taken into consideration.

His savings will last probably at the very most another year. He may be then forced to sell the family home where other dependant members of the family still live.

It will be interesting to see all right. Some of the policies definitely seem to have been rushed into the budget without proper planning. I heard Brian Lenihan on the radio yesterday talking to a caller about the parking space charges. He was shaky to say the least on the details of the proposal.

It will be interesting to see all right. Some of the policies definitely seem to have been rushed into the budget without proper planning. I heard Brian Lenihan on the radio yesterday talking to a caller about the parking space charges. He was shaky to say the least on the details of the proposal.

The budget was unplanned and rushed with the minimum of thought put into it, in particularly hitting out at most vulnerable in society, I.E the poorer and the elderly.

It was like someone hard up for cash rooting for change in between the seat gaps of an old car.

If you listen to any of them on the radio, they cannot answer any of the questions directly and go off on a tangent to some other part of the budget. Hookie is particular is getting really annoyed at them and is even shouting them down sometimes to get them to stop the PR BS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

He's buggered. I heard this discussed on the radio yesterday.
    Went like this:

Govt.: Here ya go mate, free medical card because we're a great govt. and we want to take care of you.

Pensioner: wohoo! - no more medical bills, fcuk you VHI, shove yer policy (that I've been paying all my life) up yer jaxxie!!1

VHI: fair enough /cancels policy.

- a few years later -

Govt.: well actually we were just kidding /yoinks medical card from pensioners fist.

Pensioner: wha? wait? no?

Pensioner: Sorry VHI, can I come back now, I need medical cover... please?

VHI: fcuk you mate! you're old and have pre-existing conditions and we won't cover you...

Pensioner: but I was with you for 30 years....

VHI: pffft... new policy is a new policy mate.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

SteveC wrote: »
    Pensioner: Sorry VHI, can I come back now, I need medical cover... please?

VHI: fcuk you mate! you're old and have pre-existing conditions and we won't cover you...

Pensioner: but I was with you for 30 years....

VHI: pffft... new policy is a new policy mate.

Good point. The issue of pre-existing conditions is going to be very interesting. You can't knock VHI for their "new policy is a new policy" policy though.

You can't knock VHI for their "new policy is a new policy" policy though.

your policy of not knocking VHI for their policy of a new policy is a new policy goes against my policy of knocking the VHI policy of a new policy is a new policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

If you listen to any of them on the radio, they cannot answer any of the questions directly and go off on a tangent to some other part of the budget.

I was watching them on the TV3 News with yer man Vincent brown over the last few nights, and every time a question was put to them and i mean a simple yes no question like do you think X is fair they waffled on and didn't answer the question at all.

dade wrote: »
    I was watching them on the TV3 News with yer man Vincent brown over the last few nights, and every time a question was put to them and i mean a simple yes no question like do you think X is fair they waffled on and didn't answer the question at all.

Ah that's all politicians in fairness. There's no deniability in a straight yes or no. You could ask them something really simple like "Do you agree with murdering every second baby born to appease the Sun Gods?" and they still wouldn't give a straight no.

They never know when they might have to row back on a previous answer. In the second US presidential debate this year, a question was asked and the moderator specifically said it was a Yes or No question and to only give a one word answer. Yet they still both rabbited on for 2 minutes.

On the other hand it could just be a simple case of Irish politicians not having a clue about the details of the budget! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Did she say that changes to the retirment home payments meant you could give part of your house to pay?

The conservative government did something similar in the UK and people had to sell family homes. I believe the retirement homes were forced to give the money back as it was challenged a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Mairt wrote: »

EX-FF voter here.

I agree 100% +. Lenihan has managed to pull the cruellest, dirtiest, most cynical trick that I would have thought was beyond even FF ministers. OK, some pensioners may be in the fortunate position of being able to pay, but many, having had their pension schemes destroyed by FF economics and their state pensions put under strain by the government approved heating and electricity costs etc, will be unable to. If there was any natural justice in this world, when the first pensioner dies because he/she couldn't afford medical care, Lenihan should be arrested and jailed for the rest of his miserable life. Like you, an ex FF voter here too. I sincerely hope they get wiped out at the next election.

I'm writing to our local TD (Martin Cullen) in a few days, when I've calmed down a bit, pointing that out strongly.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Tbh I work purely on the understanding that when I'm too old to continue the State will step in and look after me. It's their most important responsibility as they do nothing else right. Now they're shirking that too, the fukin slimy scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

This incompetent shower of cretins need to be forced from office.

10 years of total and utter blatant mismanagement and squandering and wastage of our tax euros.

And still the forever FFers will tug the forelock, make excuses and proudly declare their intention to vote for them again next time around.

Wake up people. You owe no loyalty to political parties or gombeen incompetents like Cowen, Lenihan and co.

CONSUMERS could be slapped with increased bank charges after the Government last night left the door open for financial institutions to pass on to customers the cost of the controversial bailout scheme

THE super-rich who own private jets will not have to pay the new air travel tax, the Government has confirmed

HALF of homeowners who purchased in the last three years will be left owing more than their houses are worth.

There's not much point us all bitching about it here on an internet forum. We have the power to rid ourselves of these utter contemptible criminal excreta.

Let's force them out of office. Let's lay siege to Leinster House and Government Buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

lenihan said before the budget " we must protect the most vulnerable in society"
    after children the most vulnerable people in society are the elderly
    and he just shafted them.

ART6 wrote: »
    If there was any natural justice in this world, when the first pensioner dies because he/she couldn't afford medical care, Lenihan should be arrested and jailed for the rest of his miserable life. Like you, an ex FF voter here too.

I think FF voters should be arrested and jailed too for aiding and abetting! ;) You'll get a reduced sentence though since you're an ex-FF voter.
    I sincerely hope they get wiped out at the next election.

I wouldn't count on it tbh. As long as people continue to put charisma over competence when voting, this crap will continue.

Rebeller wrote: »

In fairness there's very little the government can do to stop them passing it on. At the end of the day the banks are companies looking for a profit. If they have a big expense like the money they have to give the govt. they will naturally try to make that up by charging more to customers somewhere along the line.

It would take unprecedented government meddling to stop them getting that money from customers somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

trust me, these c**ts will be re-elected and they know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Even if that's the case, the Greens may not - and if I am not mistaken, they were needed for this government in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Rebeller wrote: »
    This incompetent shower of cretins need to be forced from office.

10 years of total and utter blatant mismanagement and squandering and wastage of our tax euros.

And still the forever FFers will tug the forelock, make excuses and proudly declare their intention to vote for them again next time around.

Wake up people. You owe no loyalty to political parties or gombeen incompetents like Cowen, Lenihan and co.

CONSUMERS could be slapped with increased bank charges after the Government last night left the door open for financial institutions to pass on to customers the cost of the controversial bailout scheme

THE super-rich who own private jets will not have to pay the new air travel tax, the Government has confirmed

HALF of homeowners who purchased in the last three years will be left owing more than their houses are worth.

There's not much point us all bitching about it here on an internet forum. We have the power to rid ourselves of these utter contemptible criminal excreta.

Let's force them out of office. Let's lay siege to Leinster House and Government Buildings.[/QUOTE

A 1990 Poll Tax riot type situation might make this corrupt shower of crooks see that the people are raging about the total waste that was made of this countrys boom,these scumbags have no fear they think they are untouchable,
    the more time goes by and times get so much harder the people of this great Republic will see that we were mugged by Fianna Fail,banks and developers:mad:

Advertisement