Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Budget discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I wonder what exactly will qualify as a major urban area. This is seriously not good. Oh and motor tax is going up by the sounds of it too. Guess working people will just have to cut back spending.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

What did he say just before cycling to work that caused such a fuss?

I hate foreigners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

toiletduck wrote: »
    He could throw in the odd joke here and there, ffs WORST BUDGET EVER.
    Its gas he's talkin os gaelige now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

he's just give us the really bad news in Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

cornbb wrote: »
    I'd swear he said 50% not 50c re. the tobacco but irishtimes.com says 50c too so maybe I'm wrong... I hope I'm wrong...

so did i, but like i said i could have been wrong

he's also bringing up motor tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I thought it was the cycling. I heard a few shouts of "Why don't you cycle to work?" after he said it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

"Fuk you biffo, this should be your job you fat cnut." Microphones picked him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

DarkJager wrote: »
    **** carbon footprints, I'd be more concerned about my finances than the ****in environment at this stage.

He keeps saying he's looking after the vulnerable. He really means he's looking after the people that contribute **** all to this country.

The more I watch, the more I feel a sequel to Falling Down coming on.....

Hey guess what, as an able bodied person with a job, that's your function in society.
    Get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Savman wrote: »
    Its gas he's talkin os gaelige now.

And it looked like yer man over his shoulder was picking his nose, it's getting better.

think it was teh increase on motor tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

awww and I just baught a boat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Don't forget its 8c/litre + the extra vat....

We pay tax on our taxes here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hey guess what, as an able bodied person with a job, that's your function in society.
    Get used to it.

Plenty of able bodied cnuts on the dole mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

awww and I just baught a boat

I think we're gonna need a bigger boat...

This ship's goin down.

No wonder he put the dole up. He's out on his ear at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Get used to it.

So I can work my arse off for the ****in sponges on the dole to have it easy? **** that. Car tax, increase in petrol, levy on income....its really time to quit the jobs and just get on the dole. Every lazy **** on this island is laughing his ass off now at more free money for **** all coming his way...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Council tax coming in off €200 on private residents on houses except new purchases..

So I can work my arse off for the ****in sponges on the dole to have it easy? **** that. Car tax, increase in petrol, levy on income....its really time to quit the jobs and just get on the dole. Every lazy **** on this island is laughing his ass off now at more free money for **** all coming his way...

Not a chance. Sure it's only 20 to 5, the scroungers are still in bed.

couldn't agree more. the hard worker gets raped again

i mean the fuel supplement increase for the elderly doesn't kick in til April so the poor feckers have to freeze this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Dragan wrote: »
    Plenty of able bodied cnuts on the dole mate.

More power to them.

Of course that would be far more telling if i subscribed to the idea that everyone on the dole is a sponger, but i'm not that kinda guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Child benefit for 18-year-olds to cease in 2010 Child benefit will be halved for 18-year-olds from 1 January

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

This 1% tax levy? Will tax credits still cover the hit for most part time workers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

JP Liz wrote: »
    Child benefit for 18-year-olds to cease in 2010 Child benefit will be halved for 18-year-olds from 1 January

was it not ceased for kids 18 and over and halved for kids of sw parents? thats what i thought he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

DarkJager's posts have been so ****in insightful that I **** ******** **** **** **** ******** **** **** ************************ ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** ** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** splooge all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

pithater1 wrote: »
    This 1% tax levy? Will tax credits still cover the hit for most part time workers?

Tax credits will not cover this levy, it's 1% on earnings up to 100,000 and 2% after that.....if I got it right that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

tabatha wrote: »
    its not 10 euro on all departures, its 2 euro for short haul and 10 for the rest
    An air travel tax applying to all departures from Irish airports will come into force on Monday 30 March 2009. The general rate applying will be €10 per passenger with a lower rate of €2 for shorter air journeys (those under 300 kms).

An indicative schedule listing the destinations from particular Irish airports to which the lower rate will apply is set out below. Other destinations from Irish airports in excess of 300kms will attract the €10 rate.

The Finance Bill will provide that the tax will be payable by the appropriate airport authority to the Revenue Commissioners in respect of passengers departing from Irish airports on and from 30 March 2009. In effect the airport authority will collect the tax from the airlines.

The air travel tax will not apply to

- passengers under two years

- disabled passengers and assisting persons

- aircraft with less than 20 passenger seats

- transit passengers

- members of the crew

- air services to and from Irish offshore islands

- aircraft departing airports that in the previous calendar year had less than 10,000

departing passengers.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

basquille wrote: »
    DarkJager's posts have been so ****in insightful that I **** ******** **** **** **** ******** **** **** ************************ ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** ** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** splooge all over the place.

I'm angry...what can i ****in say?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Old people freeze while the builders/developers who caused this whole mess get 2.1 BILLION, (one way or the other they benefit regardless of how it is dressed up).

People, wake up, you and your family have just been raped by the FF/developer cartel.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Tax credits will not cover this levy, it's 1% on earnings up to 100,000 and 2% after that.....if I got it right that is.

from RTE

Finance Minister Brian Lenihan has delivered his first Budget, saying that the Government faced difficult choices, but was guided by principles of fairness.

He said we must bring order to the public finances over the next three years.

The Minister announced that an income levy of 1% on all incomes up to €1,925 a week - just over €100,000 a year - would be introduced. The levy will be 2% above that level.

Advertisement'This levy will allow all income earners to contribute in a proportionate manner to the restoration of order and stability to the public finances,' he said, adding that it would be kept under review.

Mr Lenihan also said that Cabinet Ministers and Ministers of State would be giving up 10% of their current pay. He also said he was conducting a review of the National Pensions Reserve Fund.

The Minister said he expected the economy to shrink by 1.5% next year, as measured by GNP, with GDP contracting by 0.75%. He said unemployment would rise to 7.3% but inflation would ease to 2.5%.

He said there would be a Budget deficit of 6.5% of GDP next year, well above the EU limit of 3%. The Minister said this was the maximum reduction that could be achieved this year, but it was his intention to lower this further.

Current spending will rise by 1.8%, with a current deficit of just over €4.7 billion and a capital deficit of €8.7 billion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I think that was just over him saying he'd increase a scheme to encourage cycling to work, they were shouting "do you cycle?" etc.

Advertisement