Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Budget discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Linku wrote: »
    I think that was just over him saying he'd increase a scheme to encourage cycling to work, they were shouting "do you cycle?" etc.
    Clearly he does.. the fit specimen that he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Tax credits will not cover this levy, it's 1% on earnings up to 100,000 and 2% after that.....if I got it right that is.

So in essence the tax rate is now 21%? At the moment I work part time and generally my tax credits are muc higher than the ammount I am taxed, hence I pay no tax after tax credits are taken into account, will this still be the same?

Also noted that the €2 flight tax will be applied to flights with a distance of less than 300km so in essence ALL flights out of the country will be hit with the €10 fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Mortgage interest releif reduced from 20% to 15% for existing owners. Increase in releif for 1st time buyers to 25%.
    €200 council tax

BAstards

Also is it possible for the opposition to vote down this budget?
    Time to get on to your local TDs etc in that case people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Were f00ked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

caoibhin wrote: »
    People, wake up, you and your family have just been raped by the FF/developer cartel.

Rape implies lack of consent. I would consider the electorate voting them in again and again to be a loud and clear "Yes. Do me. Do me."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

pithater1 wrote: »
    Also is it possible for the opposition to vote down this budget?
    Time to get on to your local TDs etc in that case people

Nope don't think so. But you can do something. When it comes to election time again, stand in the polling station and break the fingers, hands and arms of any **** who ticks a box for Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The point is being made on RTE that he is borrowing too much and he hasn't used the knife deep enough here. I have to agree with this, I don't think this budget is going to make enough of a difference. The major problem with the public service, which is too many people in it, still hasn't been dealt with here...

He needed to take a fu*king chainsaw to the public sector, instead he has pricked it's arse with a toothpick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

An air travel tax applying to all departures from Irish airports will come into force on Monday 30 March 2009. The general rate applying will be €10 per passenger with a lower rate of €2 for shorter air journeys (those under 300 kms).

An indicative schedule listing the destinations from particular Irish airports to which the lower rate will apply is set out below. Other destinations from Irish airports in excess of 300kms will attract the €10 rate.

The Finance Bill will provide that the tax will be payable by the appropriate airport authority to the Revenue Commissioners in respect of passengers departing from Irish airports on and from 30 March 2009. In effect the airport authority will collect the tax from the airlines.

The air travel tax will not apply to

- passengers under two years

- disabled passengers and assisting persons

- aircraft with less than 20 passenger seats

- transit passengers

- members of the crew

- air services to and from Irish offshore islands

- aircraft departing airports that in the previous calendar year had less than 10,000 departing passengers.

Such as a government jet leaving baldonnel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

More power to them.

Of course that would be far more telling if i subscribed to the idea that everyone on the dole is a sponger, but i'm not that kinda guy.

Neither am i. However, to say that a decent percentage of them are not is foolish.

SW , much like the health service, is completely miss managed and a lot of the money put into it does not go to the people who are deserving.

If they provided a deep and clear review of both these issues i would have no problem with them putting more money into it.

I do have issues with the current system.

Why do you have such a problem with that or is this just the easy trolling attitude for the day?

Then again, given your current location, why do you even care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm angry...what can i ****in say?? ;)

you could say fuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

More power to them.

Of course that would be far more telling if i subscribed to the idea that everyone on the dole is a sponger, but i'm not that kinda guy.

I'm on the dole and I think it's a ****ing joke that I got an increase. If they were gonna increase the dole it should be increased for families with kids, not for ***** like me living rent free with my parents.

This is a joke of a budget, there's a chance my 83 year old granny next door is gonna lose her medical card, while I keep mine, how the **** is that fair?!

DarkJager wrote: »
    Nope don't think so. But you can do something. When it comes to election time again, stand in the polling station and break the fingers, hands and arms of any **** who ticks a box for Fianna Fail.

Thought as much :(
    Large public protest anybody?
    Kildare Street tomorrow lunchtime perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The air travel tax will not apply to
    - aircraft with less than 20 passenger seats
    Typical, those of us braving Ryanair get screwed whilst ministers, FAS management and the great and the good of Fianna Fail's developer buddies with private jets get a free ride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Darragh29 wrote: »
    He needed to take a fu*king chainsaw to the public sector, instead he has pricked it's arse with a toothpick.

Yeah, the dopey prik took a chainsaw to the normal worker instead.

National wage agreement is now dead I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Also a 3% increase in DIRT for all normal deposit accounts.

Another great reason to take all your savings out of the bank and stick it under your bed .........as if the banks weren't in enough trouble already:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Its like being back in the 80's

Someone put some Duran Duran on the record player...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

With regard to the 1% tax is it on all your income ie if you were paid 100 now you get paid 99 and get taxed on 99??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OK for all us morons out here (it might just be me though) is this budget really as bad as was predicted? OK things have gone up such as cigarettes, wine, petrol etc. But those on the lower tax band such as myself can now earn up to €1000 more per year before being taxed. I haven't bought anywhere yet but if I do they've made it easier for people like myself.

So...... what's the verdict for the average Joe Soap?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its like being back in the 80's

Someone put some Duran Duran on the record player...
    I already have my ankle warmers on.

• Advertisement

sioda wrote: »
    With regard to the 1% tax is it on all your income ie if you were paid 100 now you get paid 99 and get taxed on 99??

As I understand it, this levy will operate independently of other tax, whatever your gross salary is, it's 1% of this...

If your on 4000 Euro/Month, you pay 40 Euro a month extra in tax. Your PAYE & PRSI liability is calculated on the 4,000 Euro just as before...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Dinter wrote: »
    Yeah, the dopey prik took a chainsaw to the normal worker instead.

National wage agreement is now dead I reckon.

1% levy FFS.... 1/2% VAT FFS... beer up, airport tax if you want a holiday, no increase in tax credits and thats only stuff I've heard from the coverage so far. this budget is a kick in the nuts to every working man and woman in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

eh, wrong kintaro, you'll have an extra grand before you pay PAYE on your earnings...

Every cent you earn, however, will be 'levied' at 1%...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems to me one of the usual "Let's hope half the work-force will emigrate and send money home like they've always done." budgets. With the added kick in the nuts of taxing people to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Great so in essence we all just got a 1% pay cut :(

You can see the hands of Ibec and The American Chamber of Commerce all over this budget. No increase in Corporation Tax, a fu*kin disgrace...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

He has robbed me of a large chunk of child benefit, as I have an 18 and a 17 year old - should have been getting €166 per child until March 2009, and April 2010...now the rate for the younger child will be halved for most of 2009, and I'll get nowt for her in 2010.

The reduction in the tax relief for medical expenses - well, the 'capping' of relief at the standard rate - will have a bit impact on average families, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

1% levy FFS.... 1/2% VAT FFS... beer up, airport tax if you want a holiday, no increase in tax credits and thats only stuff I've heard from the coverage so far. this budget is a kick in the nuts to every working man and woman in the country

Beer is not up, only wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Dragan wrote: »
    Neither am i. However, to say that a decent percentage of them are not is foolish.

SW , much like the health service, is completely miss managed and a lot of the money put into it does not go to the people who are deserving.

If they provided a deep and clear review of both these issues i would have no problem with them putting more money into it.

I do have issues with the current system.

Why do you have such a problem with that or is this just the easy trolling attitude for the day?

Then again, given your current location, why do you even care?

As someone who was on the dole at various points i have issues with anyone who assumes it's full of spongers, or more to the point that they are better than people who are on the dole, regardless or reason.

Which is pretty much the vibe from everyone who's bawwing, if you'd posting something more the first time we could have saved ourselves a good two or three posts/

And i have my reasons for caring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

pithater1 wrote: »
    So in essence the tax rate is now 21%? At the moment I work part time and generally my tax credits are muc higher than the ammount I am taxed, hence I pay no tax after tax credits are taken into account, will this still be the same?

Also noted that the €2 flight tax will be applied to flights with a distance of less than 300km so in essence ALL flights out of the country will be hit with the €10 fee?

No it looks like 1% of your wages is gone.
    Then your tax credits/reflief will be applied and 20% will be taken from what is left over.

Advertisement