Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu home projector €299, half-price

• 14-10-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Just saw these in my local Supervalu, €299, normal price (according to Supervalu) is €599.

The brand is 'InFocus,' seem pretty good/popular brand going by their website, although I can't seem to see the model that Supervalu are selling (box doesn't detail the model # in the shop either, unfortunately).

You can project your TV pictures to 8-foot or use it for gaming which is my particular interest.

I just wanted to ask does anyone know anything about the technology in general, is this a good offer (is the machine obsolete perhaps, hence the cheap price?) and finally, did anyone buy one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

that is cheap, not sure if things have changed but a bulb will usually set you back about €299 or at least it did last time i checked... a few years ago now...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The resolution and quality on a cheap projector (i.e. less than a grand) is spectacularly awful, particularly for gaming. Don't bother if that's what you're thinking. You're as well off to put it towards a proper (i.e. Samsung) HD telly :)

Bulbs (depending on the device obviously) can go from €20 to €200 to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Thanks Kharn, most customer reviews for even the cheapest Infocus projector I could find on pixmania suggested they were pretty good for gaming, considering the price. I'll keep hunting about though and see if I can turn up anything concrete!

Well, a friend of mine has a cheap (albeit slightly older model) projector and I have a 27" Samsung TV. We were having an X-Box LAN party and no one wanted to play with the 8' projection after seeing the immense difference on my 720p bad boy :)

If you're a big movie buff and you've got a decent sound system already, it may not be a bad idea. Although, not having any details of the projector in questions, it's hard to make a proper recomendation.

Yeah, I have no clue about the technical jargon whatsoever, so I'll try and find out what the model number is on this one that's on offer so I cam google it. I have a feeling it's no longer in production, hence the price, and hence the fact Supervalu have their hands on it.

I'm not a movie/home theatre type guy but I play games a fair bit and watch DVDs like the next fella, so I probably wopuldn't bother unless it was at least decent if you get me, doesn't have to be amazing like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Kharn wrote: »
    Well, a friend of mine has a cheap (albeit slightly older model) projector and I have a 27" Samsung TV. We were having an X-Box LAN party and no one wanted to play with the 8' projection after seeing the immense difference on my 720p bad boy :)

If you're a big movie buff and you've got a decent sound system already, it may not be a bad idea. Although, not having any details of the projector in questions, it's hard to make a proper recomendation.

I have a HD projector that cost 800.

It does a nice 10 foot HD screen. Try looking at some of the Optoma projectors, they are well worth the cash.

how much did your TV cost?

Emmo

800 for a HD projector? That's a great price! Admittedly, it's not a branch of tech I keep tabs on, so if they're down to that sorta money, it's morth reconsidering :)

My telly cost €535 18 months ago. Similar spec'd models are obviously cheaper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

i got a 3M MP7730 projector in my room and use it for gaming and movies and it really is kickass. Its an old projector that i got for free at the time, didnt expect much from it when i tried it but it definatly displays in high def. i got a nice 5 ft screen on my wall by just painting over it in white, never bothered buying a screen. So just sayin 3M projectors are pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

Just a quick question guys, I assume you are talkin about a projector on a white wall hoooked up to your cable, like in a pub yeah?

My question is do you need a TV liecence for the projector?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Any moire details on this deal lads? is it in all super value's?

Ok obviously it would not be a brilliant model, but would it be ok for watching movies, dvd or divx etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

RedRaven wrote: »
    Just a quick question guys, I assume you are talkin about a projector on a white wall hoooked up to your cable, like in a pub yeah?

My question is do you need a TV liecence for the projector?

If it has a tv tuner then yes.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A pic would be good. It's not one of those big black and blue InFocus projectors, is it? The one I am thinking of isn't HD, and had a pretty short bulb life-expectancy.

Don't know though without a pic or model number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Would love to know if this is nationwide or just in your local store..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Didnt see any in my local store today.

It's in Kane's supervalu in Donabate, I've looked at the box and the only info I can see is that it's an 'InFocus' brand, there doesn't appear to be any model numbers on it as far as I can see but I will check again.

I don't know if it's in all Supervalu outlets or just this one.

@byte, from the picture, it did appear to be a blue machine with a black stripe down the middle of it, yes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Sounds like the In1 "Big Play" model. It doesn't have a tv tuner, just component and composite. It's fine as a toy, but not as a serious projector (SD, low contrast ratio). Elara and Powercity(I think) were selling this for under €200 at the start of the summer.

Edit:
    Specs are here, elara don't sell it anymore http://irishsmartconsumer.blogspot.com/2008/07/cheap-and-cheerful-projector.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just found this on Komplett: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342123 for €309 + delivery

Acer Projector X1160, 2000 ANSI, 2000:1, SVGA

Acer X1160 is ideal for those who want to indulge in cinematic entertainment and high-intensity gaming in the comfort of their own home.

The Acer X1160 SVGA (800x600) digital projector is designed to bring colors to life with its 2000 ANSI Lumens brightness and 2000:1 contrast ratio. Featuring a longer lamp life with up to 4000 hours of use and a 6-segment color wheel, this value projector utilizes Acer ColorBoost and SmartFormat technologies for rich, vibrant imagery and complete wide format support.

The Acer SmartFormat technology features a simple set-up process, which allows for easy continuation between speakers for presentation use, complete widescreen format support that permits instant synchronization of wide-format without resolution adjustment from your notebook, and the Acer Top-Load Lamp Design to complete lamp replacement in a few simple steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

Hmm Interesting.
    Well IMO I think that a cheap projector would be grand out.
    For me, most of my movies are 700mb downloads. So the quality on them wouldnt be that good in the first place. The projector wont make it any better/worse I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Zascar wrote: »
    Just found this on Komplett: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342123 for €309 + delivery

Any opinions on this one. Seems fairly decent, but i don't know anything really. I'm looking for projector for watching movies , like above. Not exactly home cinema, just better than on a laptop really :o.

What yis reckon?

I'd say the people over at the Home Entertainment forum will know more so I posted this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57581512

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

I spotted the infocus herelast week, you get the screen as well,..remember it's only a bargain if you need it otherwise it's just an inpulse buy...;);)

Wow, that is seriously cheap, can it possibly be any good at that price? Maybe its that cheap since it is so ugly...

Actually searching for reviews, this was retailing at $499 and still gets decent reviews.... Looks like a no brainer really... Says "Box Shabby, Product Pristine - limit one per customer"

Delivery is €30 - what a complete ripoff!!!

Reviews: http://www.projectorreviews.com/infocus/in1/index.php
    http://www.projectorreviews.com/infocus/in1/index.php
    http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-article/14753/infocus-releases-a-projector-for-gamers
    http://www.slashgear.com/infocus-in1-gaming-projector-at-woot-088390/

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

lensman wrote: »
    I spotted the infocus herelast week, you get the screen as well,..remember it's only a bargain if you need it otherwise it's just an inpulse buy...;);)

Bulb Life = 1000 hour(s)
    Could still use it for speakers after it burns out... And the free screen is nifty.
    Hmmm, where did I hide my credit card?

"The Play Big IN1 is described as an instant home theatre and gaming projector. It is based on DLP technology from Texas Instruments and features a built-in DVD player and speakers, which should make it easy for beginners to get started with the unit. There's also a ceiling mirror (no laughing at the back please) that allows you to watch your favourite film on the ceiling (for example, if you're in bed)."

Energizeer wrote: »
    "The Play Big IN1 is described as an instant home theatre and gaming projector. It is based on DLP technology from Texas Instruments and features a built-in DVD player and speakers, which should make it easy for beginners to get started with the unit. There's also a ceiling mirror (no laughing at the back please) that allows you to watch your favourite film on the ceiling (for example, if you're in bed)."

I don't think it has a DVD player - the other reviews say "Sadly no in build DVD Player"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

byte wrote: »
    A pic would be good. It's not one of those big black and blue InFocus projectors, is it? The one I am thinking of isn't HD, and had a pretty short bulb life-expectancy.

Don't know though without a pic or model number.

Are those that bad? Couldn't believe when I saw the price of them, 150 euro for the projector and the 8' screen, 100 euro for b grade ones! I mean....even if it only did 640x480 it's great for the price.

I've an ancient 3M projector I got a good few years ago for free, watch movies on it a bit - it's great. Sure, it's not cystal clear quality, but it's perfectly fine and much better then watching it on a tv. :) I can only assume the IF one would be the same....used to play my old Xbox on it as well, that was definitely great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Wow, that is seriously cheap, can it possibly be any good at that price? Maybe its that cheap since it is so ugly...

Actually searching for reviews, this was retailing at $499 and still gets decent reviews.... Looks like a no brainer really... Says "Box Shabby, Product Pristine - limit one per customer"

Delivery is €30 - what a complete ripoff!!!

[/url]
    They ship from the UK hence the £24uk shipping, I ordered from the a few time now...sound enough,...I picked up one of these last week €190 incl shipping :D it,s a HANNS G HG223

I just bought that projector. Great deal for €152 all in, including a screen.

Hopefully I'll get it by friday. I'll let you know what its like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I got one too :D. I wonder if the projector or screen is actually used?

I don't know about delivery by Friday. It says 2 day delivery, but I'll be surprised if it arrived in 48 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

lensman wrote: »

Must resist,must resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

very cheap but check the specs out..
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=650172

its only vga and 500lumens.. meaning the room would have to be pitch black to make it out..

Still kinda tempting though for the price

Advertisement