Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something i hate!

Options
  • 14-10-2008 4:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

You know why you click into a thread from the main page (www.boards.ie )? Why can't it just bring you to the first post? It's really annoying having to scroll up a full page, or click back to the first page, and even when you get to the top if the page hasn't fully loaded it will just bring you down to a random post again.

It's really frustrating.

Now i'm going off to cry.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Latest posts, not active threads.

But whateva, if that isn't expected behaviour for the majority of users it's not like it'd be hard to change. That said, I'm not going to do it without the go ahead from Cloud or DeVore.

So go ahead and petition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont want it to take me to the first post. especially useful on threads like the BGRH bar. If I want the first post I;d rather use my PAge Up button to get to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm another who would prefer it to take me to the first post. dunno why, it just seems the more intuitive thing to do... even though i've probably done it over a hundred times i still find myself absent mindedly clicking it expecting to be brought to the first.

what if it took you to the first unread post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Overheal wrote: »
    what if it took you to the first unread post?
    If it took me to MY first unread post then grand, that way if i haven't read the thread before it will take me to the 1st post, and if i have read the thread before it will take me to the first post posted since i last viewed the thread. Best of both worlds, but i'm not sure if that's even possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

How about having the main link being the way it is and a little link beside it to bring you to the first post? Sometimes you're tracking a thread, sometimes you want to go to the start.

John wrote: »
    How about having the main link being the way it is and a little link beside it to bring you to the first post? Sometimes you're tracking a thread, sometimes you want to go to the start.
    That would work for me!

You wouldn't even have to add anything, beside each thread title there is the number of post so far in brackets, just hyperlink that or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If it took me to MY first unread post then grand, that way if i haven't read the thread before it will take me to the 1st post, and if i have read the thread before it will take me to the first post posted since i last viewed the thread. Best of both worlds, but i'm not sure if that's even possible.
    That would be the ideal solution. I guess it would be a huge load on the database though as it would require another entry for every user times the number of threads on boards.

Unless it could be done through cookies?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've grown used to it being the way it is now, so I don't see the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

pain in the ass, but i don't hate it.

• Advertisement

Ah, but do you love it? I generally prefer pain free asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Ah, but do you love it? I generally prefer pain free asses.
    No pain, no gain. ;)
    Nooo, I do not love it. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don't mind it going to last post on loading but when I hit home to go to top of page and then it randomly jumps back down just as I start to read... grrrr

I would love a home button! I'm a new mac user and haven't found one as yet, anyone care to enlighten me?

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/imac-slim-keyboard-1.jpg

same place its always been in. if its a macbook though youre fecked.

:(

Advertisement