Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2009: Gambling Tax

Options
  • 14-10-2008 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Gambling tax up 100% from 1% to 2%.

You'd have to imagine the bookies will have a serious think about passing it on to the consumer once again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

this is gonna effect me big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Afaik the reason why it was 1% is that there was a sort of non-official agreement that the bookies would shoulder it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Ivan Yates was on Hooks radio show and was losing the head big time on this. He reckons that lots of small shops will go to the wall as they cant possibly sholder the increase (they did so far even though they didnt have to). He thinks this plays into the hands of the internet bookies and will effectively finish off the local shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

I agree this is a disaster....Betting tax doubled..petrol up 8 cent a litre so dearer to get to work and also a levy on my wages of 1% plus funding for greyhounds and horse boards down 9.5%...mmmmm and the boys at Coolmore still pay no tax on their multi million breeding operation...Not very fair i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The funding cut to horses and greyhounds is right, they always got way, way more than other sports.

As above small shops will have to pass this on. Internet bookies win

• Advertisement

the industry employs way more people than any other sport...if im wrong name a sport in ireland that employs more???????

the industry employs way more people than any other sport...if im wrong name a sport in ireland that employs more???????

Name any industry that got as many tax breaks and government investment?

Intel ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

didn't even know there was a tax on betting.

i do all mine online and will be always like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

there used to be a tax the punter would pay, then the bookies unofficially agreed to pay it as long as it didnt increase. now it has its gonna kill alot of smaller bookies, probably incliding my prospective business

• Advertisement

Wasn't tha long ago it was 10% and no bookies would absorb it.

20% not 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

im showing my age but i only ever remember the 5% tax! ah bless!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

i have no memory of it being higher then 10%. punter used to have the choice of paying on the stake or paying a higher figuring on the winnings. i wud see most bookies still taking this as the figure is only worth 40m to the goverment some small bookies will suffer but the like of boyle's and paddy power will have no problem absorbing it. its only on over the counter bets any way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The tax increase has been scraped as per the just announced Finance Bill.

Another back down.

i heard it has just been postponed until may???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The tax increase has been scraped as per the just announced Finance Bill.

Another back down.

To be honest it was a stupid increase anyway because;

1. It was only going to yield another €40 million
    2. It was going to put a lot of smaller independents out of business, who are SMEs which are the lifeblood of this country
    3. With the way gambling has gone the tax would have been an irrelevance. Most web betting sites are stationed in tax havens where no betting tax would have been paid

This tax increase along with Paddy Powers predatory tactic of guaranteeing prices would have put an awful lot of independent bookmakers out of business.

If the Government really wanted to make something out of the racing industry they should have looked at taxing stallion fees. That would have yielded a hell of a lot more than €40 million.

Advertisement