Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM Problem

Options
  • 14-10-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a 1 gig upgrade for my PC, however when i add the new 1 gig of ram and switch the computer on, it doesn't boot, i get a sound and the 3 red LEDs stay on. My motherboard has 2 Dimm1 slots and 2 Dimm2 slots, the 2 512mbs are in dimm1, and so i added the new 1 gig to the 1st dimm2 slot, which is how i came to my problem, i know that the new 1 gig is not bad because if i take 1 of the 512mb out and replace it with the new 1 gig the computer boots up and runs perfectly fine. Ive played around with it a bit and the problem seems to be something to do with the dimm2 slots, if any memory is connected to either of the dimm2 slots the computer won't boot and i can't seem to figure it out...my spec is below

any help would be greatly appreciated

XP Pro Service Pack 3
    Lanparty UT NF4 Expert motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
    1 gig ram (2 x 512 Ballistic DDR (PC3200) )
    *new 1 gig is a qimonda DDR, 400, CL3

any other spec just ask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

reading your manual online' to run memory in dual channel mode you would use 1 slot in each channel eg, one 512dimm in slot 1 and the other in slot 3
    but it also mentions a bios setting
    Configure the system memory in the Genie BIOS Setting submenu
    (“DRAM Configuration” section) of the BIOS.

Have you tried using your 512dimms in that way?
    but your board supports up to 4gigs so you should be able to get your extra 1gig stick working with them.
    Check out the bios for different settings hopefully its something simple

Good luck

Advertisement