Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More barracks closures on the way

• 14-10-2008 4:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/money/budget2009/tracker.html

State agencies to be reduced by 41
    Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:28:49
    There will be a reduction in the number of State agencies by 41 and there will also be a reduction in the number of army barracks. The school building programme will be E581m in 2009, while the capital investment in third level education will be E265m in 2009. E1.65bn will be spent on housing programmes in 2009. There will be an extension of the local authority mortgage scheme by increasing maximum loan available to borrowers.

O Dea has his back to the wall, this is the only way he can reduce expenditure and still fund much needed equipment. Govt are a shower of w*nks.

We can probably expect the LTAV and much needed Naval vessel procurements to go on the back burner too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Will this stop recruitment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Will this stop recruitment?

recruitment is stopping anyway, until 2010 if my cadre are to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was (still am) hoping for the V.E.R. (Voluntary Early Retirement) to be brought back again.

Given the right package and I'd nothing but a memory, gone for ever.

'Bye bye' Kilbride, 'Bye Bye' The Glen & weekend duties... Hello long hair and a beard :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Mairt wrote: »
    Hello long hair and a beard :p

You can have mine. I'll be letting them both go for a very reasonable sum soon enough. Gotta keep funded if not warm in this recession. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

Longford to close was expected so was at least one of the "North of the Gap" Barracks maybe both, and Monaghan was well flagged. All the small ones except Cavan now closed. Will the Longford lads have to give up their border allowance? At least less duties now for the Cav boys!!

Really a blind man could see this coming

Just saw the following "St. Bricins Hospital, Dublin will also be closed."

Army better invest in equipment and get a return from the sales revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

DEFENCE GROUP
    Gross Expenditure for the Defence Group in 2009 is €1,061 million, a decrease of €27.1 million (€22 million Current and €5.1 million Capital) on the 2008 forecast outturn.

The current saving reflects the fact that most of the costs associated with the setting up of the EU military operation in Chad were incurred in 2008. The saving is partially offset by an increase of €18 million on the Army Pensions Vote arising inter alia from revised superannuation arrangements for Defence Forces personnel.

The detailed 2009 Estimates for this Group are set out at pages G.76 (Department of Defence) and G.78 (Army Pensions).

and

Longford and Monoghan Barracks, Rockhill House and Lifford Military Post to be closed and merged with Finner, Athlone and Dundalk. St Bricins Hospital Dublin to be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mairt wrote: »
    I was (still am) hoping for the V.E.R. (Voluntary Early Retirement) to be brought back again.

Given the right package and I'd nothing but a memory, gone for ever.

'Bye bye' Kilbride, 'Bye Bye' The Glen & weekend duties... Hello long hair and a beard :p
    Surely job security is more important these days?

Advertisement