Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What poets are you guys studying?..

Options
  • 14-10-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

hay..:D in my english class so far we've done 3 poets.. adrienne rich, elizibeth bishop and john keats... adrienne came up last year n i think she wont be up this year.. :o
    don't know what other poets she'll pick..
    what about u guys.. what poets have u done, or are gonig to do..
    any predictions form ur teachers?..
    thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

We've done Rich,Bishop,Larkin(who I like most),Longley(Also good) and Mahon. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

our teacher thinks Rich will defy the trend this year but I really don't know

Montague seems good for me as I feel when i'm doing paper two I'll have a good balance between what I have learned in class from him and in what i understand from his poetry

Silly women poets they should have sexy poets !!! Kate Winslet should become one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Silly women poets they should have sexy poets !!! Kate Winslet should become one!!!
    Rich would be spinning in her grave, were she dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

We've done Bishop and Montague so far, not sure who else we're doing.

Keats is one i think.

Rich would be spinning in her grave, were she dead.

spinning in her grave at the thought of Kate Winslet being a great poet as well as a sex bomb! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

spinning in her grave at the thought of Kate Winslet being a great poet as well as a sex bomb! :D
    I hate to break it to you but Kate Winslet is nothing special. :rolleyes:

We've done Longley, Montague (old teacher, very shaky on them), Mahon (easy), Bishop (just started, very long poems which will be a bitch learning off).

K4t wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you but Kate Winslet is nothing special. :rolleyes:

We've done Longley, Montague (old teacher, very shaky on them), Mahon (easy), Bishop (just started, very long poems which will be a bitch learning off).

NEVER, she is the meaning of life!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Well....
    The poets that were on the syllabus last year that are up again are Montague, Rich, Mahon and Larkin.
    I'm just doing Bishop this year new, have those 4 done.
    Which means I've 5, ergo I'm safe.

BUT: Rule out the ones that were on last year's paper, ie, Mahon, Rich & Larkin. Which leaves me with Montague ('07) and Bishop.
    Surely they'll have to repeat at least one from last year. But, if you ask me... Bishop looks pretty damn hopeful. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

We've done Bishop, Rich, Montague and Longley and i'm not sure who the fifth one is gonna be. It's annoying that Rich came up last year cos it's unlikely she'll come up again.. she's so easy to discuss :( It looks probable that Bishop will come up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bythewoods wrote: »
    But, if you ask me... Bishop looks pretty damn hopeful. No?

I can only hope really, couldn't be arsed learning anymore tbh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Montague, Mahon and Longley is all we've covered so far I think.

Once again I haven't any idea what the hell any of them are on about. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Larkin, Rich, and we've started Montague and Bishop.
    Good old Pip Larkin, I'd give my right arm for him to come up

Bishop is driving me f**king crazy at the moment. 2 page poems full of bloody conversation. Why the hell didn't she just write short stories, did she not know the pain and suffering she would be putting on us. :rolleyes:

Rant over.

Please, please let Mahon be on again!!!! Love his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Bishop > every other LC 2009 poet.

Bishop > every other LC 2009 poet.
    Her poems are a cross between short stories and poems so she's a bitch with regards studying for the LC. She talks an awful lot of ****e in some of her poems too, e.g. Questions of Travel. Talk about pointing out the obvious. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Bishop and Mahon in school, but those two again, Larkin and Longley in grinds. Yeow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Have done Longley, Larkin, Montague, Mahon and Rich so far (I think).

I'm not the biggest fan of poetry at all, Rich was by far the worst.

I really don't see any point in bothering with Rich. The same poet has rarely (I know there are exceptions) came up two years in a row. And, she's on the syllabus for the 2010 leaving cert. So they're hardly going to put her up next year, that having been two years in a row, then have the chance of her coming up in 2010 again.

Unlikely I think.

Edit: Oh and I really like Keats, I hope he comes up, he's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I really don't see any point in bothering with Rich. The same poet has rarely (I know there are exceptions) came up two years in a row. And, she's on the syllabus for the 2010 leaving cert. So they're hardly going to put her up next year, that having been two years in a row, then have the chance of her coming up in 2010 again.

Unlikely I think.

Well we did her in 5th year when nobody knew if she'd come up in June. You're right though, I'm gonna forget about her now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I really don't see any point in bothering with Rich.

Even if she weren't on the syllabus there'd still be a point!

• Advertisement

Even if she weren't on the syllabus there'd still be a point!

Yah you're right, but I just don't like her for some reason! Her poems are far too long and storyish. I only really like poets like Keats and Donne, never had time for Rich. But each to their own!

Advertisement