Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S60 Auto v Manual

Options
  • 14-10-2008 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Lads considering buying an '02 S60 D5 SE. Have a choice of the Automatic model and the manual model. The Auto model is €300 cheaper.

Does anyone know if the auto model is tougher on diesel or what kind of mpg does it achieve? From the vrt webside i note that the emissions for the auto model is 201grams compared with 173grams for the manual.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

S60 D5 (163hp)

Urban, Extra Urba, combined
    Manual - 32.8, 57.6 , 44.8
    Auto - 26.6, 49.6, 37.7

Achieving these figure in practice would be a challenge but the differential is useful for comparison.

Zip much the same in each though 0-100 : 9.5man, 9.9Auto, in practice the Auto feels a little quicker though since you (I anyway) find it changing down more often than you would bother with a manual - so the auto sucks more juice then also if your driving style is to push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you drive both? That alone might make your mind up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

unkel wrote: »
    Did you drive both? That alone might make your mind up :)

Drove both, both quite peppy just a tad concerned about the fuel economy, or any other things that I should be worried about regarding the automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Hi

petrol is simply going to cost more on vrt

diesel will cost less on vrt

I personally prefer the diesel auto - i never touch manual S60s, but of all the cars I sell, I really like driving the S60s around on auto, however small leg room in the back, thats my only dislike, but its not a big issue, also the handbrake is a little close to where your left legs rests, but you soon get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I have an s60 petrol and do high mileage but as the family is growing we need more room. The s60 stays as the run around but we will be getting a bigger car very soon as the leg room in the back is just not good enough.
    But if you are driving long distances on your own with no complaints form the back then its the place to be. Mine is manual and if buying again I would more then likely go for a D5 in auto as first preference. I am getting 28 -30 mpg week to week and I wouldn’t be to shy on the pedal but not taking the piss at the same time

• Advertisement
Advertisement