Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget cuts in sport

Options
  • 14-10-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

From today's announcements:
    Item|2008|2009|Change
    Capital Grants Scheme|56 million|56 million|0%
    Swimming Pools Scheme|20 million|18 million|-10%
    Irish Sports Council funding|57.6 million|53 million|-8%
    National Sports Campus|6.7 million|4.4 million|-34%
    Lansdowne road|93 million|1.5 million|-98%
    Horse and Greyhound racing fund|76.3 million|69.7 million|-9%
    Disadvangaged areas sports grants|1.5 million|1.35 million|-10%
    Overall|311.1 million|204 million|-34%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Will this effect the FCP? Will that continue at all

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Not too bad I suppose. If they spread that Landsdowne Rd cut around a bit more it would have hurt a lot of sports a lot more.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Will this effect the FCP? Will that continue at all

I think the FCP would be funded out of the DoJ budget. I don't think it's looked upon as a sporting issue. In funding terms it's probably miniscule though, none of the participants are paid to be there as far as I'm aware.

Their only big cost would be the conference that was held in Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The FCP's safe, all the bodies (41 in total) being axed or merged doesn't include it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

IRLConor wrote: »
    I think the FCP would be funded out of the DoJ budget. I don't think it's looked upon as a sporting issue. In funding terms it's probably miniscule though, none of the participants are paid to be there as far as I'm aware.

Their only big cost would be the conference that was held in Mullingar.

Sorry Conor I should have been more precise I just meant will the budget cuts effect the FCP not the particular cuts mentioned by Sparks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Let's not forget the VAT increase. For the likes of me who mainly does a bit of game and vermin shooting and the occasional 50-100 clays it's not going to matter much but I can see this eroding the targetshooter's budget a good bit. Especially when the vice of choice is fullbore rifle or pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Is there any news from the FCP lately? Any more meetings planned?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Sorry Conor I should have been more precise I just meant will the budget cuts effect the FCP not the particular cuts mentioned by Sparks

Ah right. Makes more sense.
    Let's not forget the VAT increase. For the likes of me who mainly does a bit of game and vermin shooting and the occasional 50-100 clays it's not going to matter much but I can see this eroding the targetshooter's budget a good bit. Especially when the vice of choice is fullbore rifle or pistol.

You're looking at less than half a cent in the euro (approx 0.4c) or, for every €1000 of ammo about €4.13. While it's annoying that it's going up it shouldn't be that big of a deal for ammo buying. It should be less than a cent increase for most rounds.

Advertisement