Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.5 weeks - where to go???

Options
  • 14-10-2008 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm thinking of heading to Australia and New Zealand next summer. I'll have roughly 6.5 weeks. I'm interested in seeing scenery very different from Ireland, e.g: great barrier reef, rainforests, meeting a broad variety of people. history and seeing some major cities. I don't want to be so worn out from travelling that I don't appreciate places I see so ideally would be spending at least 3 days in each place. So,what would you recommend for an itinerary?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

When you say Next summer ... you mean Irish summer? Most people here actually live in Aus/NZ so summer = winter :)

but anyway .. 6.5 weeks, the main question is do you want the sun?
    If so stick to Oz, NZ will be snowy then (absolutely beautiful, but still snow)

You mentioned the rainforest & the reef, well there is a place called Cape tribulation north of Cairns where you can do both, the ads say "where the rainforest meets the reef", To myself cairns was a Meh, others love it.

You could easily spend 6.5 weeks alone in Oz or in Nz .. so not sure how you want to split it .. I'll take a guess at 4 in OZ and 2.5 in Nz

Fly to cairns, spend a day there to look around, it's a nice place, but very party town, take a 2 day trip to Cape tribulation to see the rainforest etc, back to Cairns, head towards whitsundays spend 3 days sailing, then head towards Fraser island, again another 2 or 3 days here.

Now from here you can either head down towards sydney/brisbane via bus/car etc or fly somewhere, Personally I think it would be ideal time to head for Uluru/Ayers Rock, it would be decent temp (18-25C) so could walk around all the sites and be amazed, like Kata Tjuta (Uluru) http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/uluru/index.html
    there is so much to see there, The Olgas, Uluru & Kings Canyon ... as I said perfect time to explore as when it gets too hot, they close off many areas (as it is like an oven)

Also Darwin will be coming out of the rainy season then, and the national parks when they just open are amazing, Kakadu & Litchfield with the waterfalls and culture is out of this world.

Sydney will be cold then (15-20C) and melbourne will be colder ... they are great cities, but only spend a few days in one.

so depending on your flights a good route could be
    Sydney -> Uluru -> darwin-> cairns -> Cape trib -> Cairns -> whitsundays -> Fraser -> ...? maybe to brisbane then to New Zealand etc ..

I've been to all these places, and they are amazing, I have some photos of my trips here http://picasaweb.google.com/kevhussey/ if you want an idea of what they look like

Advertisement