Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

underground explosions oranmore derrydonel area - anyone know what it is

Options
  • 14-10-2008 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Im kinda concerned about what seems to be underground explosions im hearing in the oranmore derrydonel area of galway. Im wondering if anyone knows what it is. Ive been hearing it for the last year but it seems to be getting louder. It literally shakes the house. All the windows and doors rattle. I know they are building the new dublin galway road but I dont think they are close enough to where i live to be able to hear it quite so loudly. Does anyone know of any blasting going on around here.
    ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's either some Quarrying, or the rumoured underground testing that was suppost to be part of some Pharmacutical Plant that maybe could be on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

galwayrush wrote: »
    It's either some Quarrying, or the rumoured underground testing that was suppost to be part of some Pharmacutical Plant that maybe could be on the way.

There is a quarry near by but its not ment to be operational. I wonder is some builder stealing from it lol. I havent heard of this pharmacutical plant. Why would they need to test the underground? Pardon my ignorance. Any rumours as to where its ment to be placed?

Thanks for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gameshotpro

Particle acceleration test :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Im kinda concerned about what seems to be underground explosions im hearing in the oranmore derrydonel area of galway. Im wondering if anyone knows what it is. Ive been hearing it for the last year but it seems to be getting louder. It literally shakes the house. All the windows and doors rattle. I know they are building the new dublin galway road but I dont think they are close enough to where i live to be able to hear it quite so loudly. Does anyone know of any blasting going on around here.
    ?

id say it must be the road. they could be blasting and ud be surpised how shock waves travel through the earth. There grinding their own chips etc from hardcore their digging up i heard, so id imagine they might need the odd explosion to release some more. I could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

There is a quarry near by but its not ment to be operational. I wonder is some builder stealing from it lol. I havent heard of this pharmacutical plant. Why would they need to test the underground? Pardon my ignorance. Any rumours as to where its ment to be placed?

Thanks for the answer.
    Rumours have placed the new plant from Oranmore to Mellows Colllege on the way to Athenry. Not sure why they would need to test underground with explosives, if it was true, obviously it would be for underground testing and storage of some dangerous cmenicals.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    Rumours have placed the new plant from Oranmore to Mellows Colllege on the way to Athenry. Not sure why they would need to test underground with explosives, if it was true, obviously it would be for underground testing and storage of some dangerous cmenicals.
    no way:eek::eek::eek:
    Do the residents of Galway get a say in it? Nice that they are already testing before they see if there is going to be any residential uproar.

Army firing range? That's out there somewhere isn't it?

Army firing range? That's out there somewhere isn't it?
    I dono, unless they are setting off land mines lol. Its really loud all my neighbours fell it too. It feels like an earthquake to be honest.

I wonder if there is anyone here closer to the new dublin/galway road who also feels it, or if its just around where i live.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It happens at 3pm every few days or something right? My boyf lives out that direction, said it's to do with them building, says it's like a mini explosion. i'll find out exactly what it is, but don'y worry, it's something mundane like quarrying..(as opposed to something exciting!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

Has anybody heard more details on this?

Gardai have closed off Claregalway road at Carrowmoneash roundabout.
    Heard mutterings that it was a gas explosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Has anybody heard more details on this?

Gardai have closed off Claregalway road at Carrowmoneash roundabout.
    Heard mutterings that it was a gas explosion.

Galway Bay FM report a gas leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

?

How's it goin, I live out that way and those explosions were to do with the blasting going on at Cashla Quarries - near the ESB substation and the proposed gas power station:eek: It's a fecking joke they can blast when they like with no notice to residents - my house is over a mile as the crow flies and our house shakes (slightly) when they blast! I know someone who lives closer and stuff falls off there shelves when the blasts happen. It just irritates me that no stipulations have been made on the quarrying activity to notify residents within a certain buffer zone of the blasting - common sense would suggest that this is a reasonable requirement!! can't imagine what it's like for people who live right beside it - it has to affect the houses built on strip foundations particularly// anyway, who do you talk to get something done - mentioned it to everyone canvassing but do any of them give a sh*te once it's not their houses shaking:confused:

over and out
    mc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

mchammer wrote: »
    How's it goin, I live out that way and those explosions were to do with the blasting going on at Cashla Quarries - near the ESB substation and the proposed gas power station:eek: It's a fecking joke they can blast when they like with no notice to residents - my house is over a mile as the crow flies and our house shakes (slightly) when they blast! I know someone who lives closer and stuff falls off there shelves when the blasts happen. It just irritates me that no stipulations have been made on the quarrying activity to notify residents within a certain buffer zone of the blasting - common sense would suggest that this is a reasonable requirement!! can't imagine what it's like for people who live right beside it - it has to affect the houses built on strip foundations particularly// anyway, who do you talk to get something done - mentioned it to everyone canvassing but do any of them give a sh*te once it's not their houses shaking:confused:

over and out
    mc
    Jim cuddy is aware of it, and has brought it to the attention of people, and from canvassing down lisheen kyle it was a huge concern. Its not gone unnoticed. Problem is, that its going to keep happening until this road is over. If people are concerened about any damage to their homes, id get an engineers assesement...that might slow them down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Yeah. We could definately do with something to slow down road building in the west. :p

Advertisement