Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting facts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The traffic lights at the Marian area take forever to change.

The amber light at the top of the Folly means speed up, while the red light means it's ok to turn right as long as you're practically attached to the rear of the car in front.

Due to some strange electronic phenomenom, the indicators on Mercedes do not work in Waterford.

Brendan McCann has Waterford's best interests at heart.

Ok, yeah, I made that last one up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

magick wrote: »
    but anyway the river running down near rainway square was once paved at the bottom, why i dont know but their used to be boats running up and down it.

which reminds me it used to be clean enough to swim in. I remember a nationwide programme about it kids used to jump off the gas works bridge into the river at high tide and swim. It had a sandy bottom in it as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

trishw78 wrote: »
    which reminds me it used to be clean enough to swim in. I remember a nationwide programme about it kids used to jump off the gas works bridge into the river at high tide and swim. It had a sandy bottom in it as well.

I sure as hell wouldn't chance swimming in it now, awful shame its so unclean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Love the facts! Keep them coming. Cream crackers were invented here too? Fantastic. I'd live on the things if I could.
    Awful shame that river has been bollocksed up so bad. I remember talking to an old timer before that lives down by the waterside about how he used to fish in that river. And catch quite a few aswell.
    The only thing you'd catch in that cesspool these days is the mange.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Asmodean wrote: »
    The only thing you'd catch in that cesspool these days is the mange.

To be fair, you can catch a decent trolley also. No more paying Tesco a €1 :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gscully wrote: »
    The traffic lights at the Marian area take forever to change.

The amber light at the top of the Folly means speed up, while the red light means it's ok to turn right as long as you're practically attached to the rear of the car in front.

Due to some strange electronic phenomenom, the indicators on Mercedes do not work in Waterford.

Brendan McCann has Waterford's best interests at heart.

Ok, yeah, I made that last one up!

Neither of the above are facts, but opinion. Really not the type of posts for this thread.

EDIT: Clarification received, above post is grand. General room for a bit of a craic is always allowed., just not people posting rants rather then facts/bit of humour. :)

Sully wrote: »
    Neither of the above are facts, but opinion. Really not the type of posts for this thread.

Hmmm...how many of the 'facts' posted are actually fact? One or two have already been disputed!

- Does it really take the guy 25 mins to climb the crane? Who timed him?
    - St John's river, is it a cesspool really...or just a dirty river?

Is your quote above about paying Tesco a €1 fact? Not really, since it's refundable. No, it was just your stab at humour...pretty similar to what I did when you think about it...but I'm not a 'king'...fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

gscully wrote: »
    Hmmm...how many of the 'facts' posted are actually fact? One or two have already been disputed!

- Does it really take the guy 25 mins to climb the crane? Who timed him?
    - St John's river, is it a cesspool really...or just a dirty river?

Is your quote above about paying Tesco a €1 fact? Not really, since it's refundable. No, it was just your stab at humour...pretty similar to what I did when you think about it...but I'm not a 'king'...fact!

I was speaking to the safety officer on the job he told me it takes 25mins to climb to the top

nobody claimed that John's river is a cesspool it is not really safe to swim in ATM a walk past it will prove it i.e. the shopping trollies, traffic cones, spare tyres etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

trishw78 wrote: »
    I was speaking to the safety officer on the job he told me it takes 25mins to climb to the top

I didn't mean to discredit your fact. I was just highlighting to Sully that not all 'facts' posted were real fact. My point being that the guy could do it in 24 mins if he wanted to...I hope you get what I mean.
    nobody claimed that John's river is a cesspool it is not really safe to swim in ATM a walk past it will prove it i.e. the shopping trollies, traffic cones, spare tyres etc etc etc

Actually, someone did call it a cesspool. Yes, I'd totally agree that it's not safe, but describing it as a cesspool doesn't mean it is one. I posted some points tongue-in-cheek, but Sully chose to play cop, ignoring his own tongue-in-cheek remark and ignoring that many of the 'facts' posted aren't real facts. Anyway, I don't want this to thread to degenerate into a tit-for-tat, so I'll leave it at that.

BTW Trish, I did find your remark about taking 25 mins quite interesting. Sure is a long way to climb!

• Advertisement

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Thanks...I think I'll pass though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

the kitchen sink to basin ratio in waterford is 3.2 : 1
    thats up from 2.6 : 1 last year
    probably a reflection of the the current economic climate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 amyloneill

Keith Barry!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

amyloneill wrote: »
    Keith Barry!!!!!!!!!
    Eh? I havent a clue about who or what you refer to but in any event just stating a name as opposed to a fact is trolling tbh.

As Im unfamiliar with these neck of the woods I will leave the above post for Sully to deal with.

Keith Barry is a local magican.. See Wikipedia

Keith Barry is a local magican.. See Wikipedia
    Im sure he appears now and again :D

But the thread is "interesting facts". I still fail to see how posting a name is an interesting fact. Or did the user concerned get confused and think it was a thread about famous people which is a different scenario altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

the platform at waterford trainstation was the longest platform in ireland and the UK.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

the platform at waterford trainstation was the longest platform in ireland and the UK.

your kidding me right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

the full stop was first used in a letter delivered by a waterford man working for the royal postal service in england to a mr j.r hartley who went on to carve out a career writing books on fly fishing

fatherbuzzcagney doesn't kid anyone. fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

longshanks wrote: »
    fatherbuzzcagney doesn't kid anyone. fact

Funny!

I've already moved one of your posts from this thread this evening longshanks.

There's already been warnings to keep this on topic. Any more silly posts are going to be deleted and infractions will be handed out.

We've allowed a random thread for a reason. Please keep the mindless rambling to that thread.

Oh takola your patience is a virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

To be fair, you can catch a decent trolley also. No more paying Tesco a €1 :P

I was on my way home from a night out once with a friend. We went to tesco to get pizzas and naturally we got a trolley. Brought the pizzas home in the trolley. Guards pulled up.

"Lads where are ye going with the trolley?"
    "We we did pay our one euro for it!"
    "Fair enough, bring it back tomorrow"

They walked away laughing their asses off.

takola wrote: »
    Funny!

I've already moved one of your posts from this thread this evening longshanks.

There's already been warnings to keep this on topic. Any more silly posts are going to be deleted and infractions will be handed out.

We've allowed a random thread for a reason. Please keep the mindless rambling to that thread.

cabaal disputed the train station platform fact.
    i'd heard that fact before.
    so i said fatherbuzcagney does'nt kid anyone. fact
    merely pointing out that it was a locally known fact.
    i like sentences that include the word fact.
    the quay in waterford was once declared the noblest in all europe, by the historian mark gerourd. fact
    the viking settlement site found at woodstown predates all other such sites. fact.
    the tall ships are coming back. fact.
    County Waterford is known locally as "The Decies" (An Déise). Some time between the 4th and 8th centuries, a tribe of native Gaelic people called the Déisi were driven from the southern parts of the country, conquering and settling here. The ancient principality of the Déise is today roughly coterminous with the current Roman Catholic Diocese of Waterford and Lismore. The Deise has a rich history from megalithic tombs and ogham stones, to Vikings, to remnants of English occupancy, including the Gaulstown dolmen, Reginalds Tower and the Ballysaggartmore Towers respectively. that one from wikipedia. fact.
    brendan bowyer, blaas, john mullane, phoenix, canting a ball. facts.

longshanks wrote: »
    cabaal disputed the train station platform fact.
    i'd heard that fact before.
    so i said fatherbuzcagney does'nt kid anyone. fact
    merely pointing out that it was a locally known fact.
    i like sentences that include the word fact.
    the quay in waterford was once declared the noblest in all europe, by the historian mark gerourd. fact
    the viking settlement site found at woodstown predates all other such sites. fact.
    the tall ships are coming back. fact.
    County Waterford is known locally as "The Decies" (An Déise). Some time between the 4th and 8th centuries, a tribe of native Gaelic people called the Déisi were driven from the southern parts of the country, conquering and settling here. The ancient principality of the Déise is today roughly coterminous with the current Roman Catholic Diocese of Waterford and Lismore. The Deise has a rich history from megalithic tombs and ogham stones, to Vikings, to remnants of English occupancy, including the Gaulstown dolmen, Reginalds Tower and the Ballysaggartmore Towers respectively. that one from wikipedia. fact.
    brendan bowyer, blaas, john mullane, phoenix, canting a ball. facts.

Your first post wasnt interesting, nevermind useful. Fact.
    Your second post was not clear and looked like even more off topic rambling. Fact.
    Your seceond post was not fact. Im sure he does kid people, or has. Fact.
    Your required to contact the moderator via PM if you dispute any issue with his/her moderation. Fact.
    This post isnt even interesting, but its based on facts. Fact.
    This is off topic, so lets swing the boat around to get onto interest facts. Fact.

kthxbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

Professor Ernest T Walton (a deise native) split the atom with Sir John Cockroft. In recognition of this work they shared the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1951. Ernest Walton was the only Irish scientist ever to receive this honour.

In 1492 Perkin Warbeck arrived in Ireland. He claimed to be the true king of England and he attempted to overthrow Henry VII. While much of Ireland flocked to his side Waterford stayed loyal to King Henry. In 1493 Warbeck's men besieged Waterford for 12 days but failed to take it. Afterwards Waterford was given the motto Urbs Intacta Manet Waterfordia which means Waterford the unconquered city.

The meaning of waterford: is "windy fjord" or "haven from the wind swept sea". Even today it is easy to see why it may be got its name for the River Suir is, even during bad weather, relatively calm and therefore would have been suitable for the sleek Viking longships to drop anchor. The second possible meaning is "Fjord of the rams", this is, a place where rams or sheep could be loaded for export.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

not joking re platform. A quiz master told me that as it was a question one nite he came across. He has since passed on but i will try to get proof somewhere, i never took any notice til he mentioned it but it is a realy long platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

While I've heard that Waterfords platform is one of the longest, Limerick Junction's platform I think is the longest in Ireland having heard it mentioned on a Michael Palin programme years and years ago. It will be
    interesting to see which one it actually is now.

Your first post wasnt interesting, nevermind useful. Fact.
    Your second post was not clear and looked like even more off topic rambling. Fact.
    Your seceond post was not fact. Im sure he does kid people, or has. Fact.
    Your required to contact the moderator via PM if you dispute any issue with his/her moderation. Fact.
    This post isnt even interesting, but its based on facts. Fact.
    This is off topic, so lets swing the boat around to get onto interest facts. Fact.

kthxbye.

good comeback kev. really.
    anywho, when i said that fatherbuzzcagney doesn't lie it was in relation to the fact about the platform. how am i supposed to know if he does, or has kidded people outside of this thread. jeeesus.
    and here is a fact to swing the boat around; liam neeson's grandmother was from waterford

gaythxbai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

john power's (bassist and backing singer with liverpool band the "la's" and also founding member of the brit pop band "cast") father is originally from waterford.
    i beleive cannon street

Advertisement