Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget and Garda recruitment

• 14-10-2008 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Has there been any news or cutbacks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

GARDA SÍOCHÁNA Budget Decreased:

2008 : 1,546,546,000

2009 : 1,540,342,000

take a look at http://www.budget.gov.ie/2009/downloads/CombinedBudgetEstimates2009&SPCP.pdf

page 48 for An Garda Siochana details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

I notice there will be a 1% decrease in salaries between 2008 and 2009 amounting to some €10 million.

Lets say the average Garda earns €40,000 in a year including all expenses and overtime, then there will be 250 less gardaí in 2009 than in 2008.

= bad news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

li@mo wrote: »
    I notice there will be a 1% decrease in salaries between 2008 and 2009 amounting to some €10 million.

Lets say the average Garda earns €40,000 in a year including all expenses and overtime, then there will be 250 less gardaí in 2009 than in 2008.

= bad news
    There could be other factors involved though, retirements and stalled promotions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

6 million......?
    Have to admit, I was expecting much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Tackling%20Crime%20%E2%80%93%20An%20Absolute%20Priority

From the Dept of Justice press release today:
    The attested strength of An Garda Síochána to increase to almost 14,900 by the end of 2009 from its current attested strength of 14,267. In addition to the almost 1,100 recruits currently in training, four hundred new recruits will be taken on during 2009.

but
    Budgetary constraints mean that there will need to be a reduction in Garda overtime next year. However, the additional rostered hours available next year arising from the increase in the strength of the Force amount to over 1 million hours. This will more than offset the planned reduction in overtime hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭James_UK

Quite the drop?

Hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cathalfeely

so this is saying that the novemberintake will continue on as a full intake and that there will only be 400 recruits next year (so possibly 100 four times a year) i'm only guessing that november will be a full intake as there has been no official word on it yet???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

so this is saying that the novemberintake will continue on as a full intake and that there will only be 400 recruits next year (so possibly 100 four times a year) i'm only guessing that november will be a full intake as there has been no official word on it yet???

Technically there are currently 4 un attested intakes at various stages of training right now:
    JD - phase 3
    KA - Phase 2
    KB - Phase 2
    KC - Phase 1;

So that would be roughly the 1100 they mention that are currently in training; What was said to us ages ago was that the intakes next year would be 100's as would November; Nothing has been mentioned about it for a while now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The November intake will be a full in-take as they budgeted as such when the finance was there last year ...

It will be next year when the changes come into effect i.e. in-takes every 3months therefore 4x100students

that's unless someone somewhere decides to alter the budget and re-allocate funds as and when the need arises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Our Inspector told us this week that the intakes are goin to be cut from 250 to 50 :eek: wow crazy if true! Just enough to keep the college staff employed and carry through for the next 6 months

Look on the bright side quality rather than quantity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Greycliff

The November intake is full with 120 going in same as next Febs intake at 120. I interviewed on Monday and was told it would be next May or November i would be going in,that is of course if i get it and after the grilling i got i wouldn't be holding out much hope!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Can I ask what batch you are in? THats pretty bad waiting a year to be called down the college!

Greycliff wrote: »
    The November intake is full with 120 going in same as next Febs intake at 120. I interviewed on Monday and was told it would be next May or November i would be going in,that is of course if i get it and after the grilling i got i wouldn't be holding out much hope!!!!
    Can I ask what batch you are in? THats pretty bad waiting a year to be called down the college!

Devil08 wrote: »

I'm in Batch 2 from the May applications. It's pretty bad alright i guess. I'm just thankful i'm not in Batch 4. They have stopped interviewing every week now too it's down to one week a month so things are really slowing down in the recruitment side of things...

Greycliff wrote: »
    I'm in Batch 2 from the May applications. It's pretty bad alright i guess. I'm just thankful i'm not in Batch 4. They have stopped interviewing every week now too it's down to one week a month so things are really slowing down in the recruitment side of things...
    F**K, im in batch 4. Gonna be waiting forever, not looking good

Get on to the recriutment section in public jobs and try and find out. I heard that from a sergeant in the college but it mighten be 100% accurate you know the rumour mill in the gards but the info on intake is fairly accurate and is reflected in the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Anyone want to make a prediction as to whether recruitment will pick up or how the job propects in AGS will be a few years down the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 wispa

heard from a very good source that there will still be intakes next year just with smaller class sizes.this november will be a full class.hope that sheds a bit of light on it for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Are intakes due to be back as they were in say 4 or 5 years time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

There has been an accelerated recruitment drive in the past few years because the government undertook to increase Garda numbers to (I think) 15000. They are just about at that number now anyway so the accelerated drive was always going to slow down. The 400 per year intake was always on the cards even if this recession had never happened purely to sustain the numbers after retirements and promotions etc. Who knows what the government will decide in a few years, maybe theyl want 20,000 Gardai out there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭lightyear

wispa wrote: »
    heard from a very good source that there will still be intakes next year just with smaller class sizes.this november will be a full class.hope that sheds a bit of light on it for people.

Word in the college itself from staff (teaching and kitchen) has been that they've been informed that the intake this November will only be 100-120 students.

lightyear wrote: »
    Word in the college itself from staff (teaching and kitchen) has been that they've been informed that the intake this November will only be 100-120 students.

maybe my source is wrong:eek:.if they do cut the classes down what sort of numbers would you be looking at. how many in a full class and how many would be in a cut down class if thats whats gonna happen next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Up to Nov it has been about 270 every 3 months.

thanks paola.and how many do you think you could expect in a cut down class if thats gonna be the case next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

The most obvious thought would be 100 or so per intake.

Obvious is not always the way though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Livewire304

So now that the November intake in down, just how many is there? Like someone said in an earlier post, think of quality over quantity!! class based learning now hopefully over big lecture theatres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

So now that the November intake in down, just how many is there?

compared to 275 in the august intake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So, when do you all think they'll be accepting applications again?

Advertisement