Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD drive wont work!!

Options
  • 14-10-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Anyone any ideas why a DVD drive wont allow my pc to boot up when its connected.The driver is installed for the DVD drive and the drive config is set to assign a secondary master slave for the DVD drive with the CD ROM being the secondary master drive.All connections are solid.All ideas welcome at dis stage:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Is it an internal or external drive? IDE or SATA drive?

what is your boot sequence in Bios?

If either or both drives are IDE is there any jumper clips on the jumper pins?

Sorry to reply only with lots of questions but i don't really understand the line-

"drive config is set to assign a secondary master slave for the DVD drive with the CD ROM being the secondary master drive"

• Registered Users Posts: 39 elless

Thanks for the reply really appreciate it. The drive is an internal one and I have assigned it as a "secondary master slave" to the CD ROM (which is listed as the secondary master drive, the primary master drive being the Hard drive, drive config is in system config or set up or F2)

Im not familiar with IDE or SATA Ive only come across all this today.All I can tell you is I have a CD ROM (originally came with pc) with a CD burner/DVD player (that I have added) connected by a ribbon to the motherboard and both powered by connection to the pc.

The boot sequence is as follows:
    Floppy (not installed)
    Hard drive
    CD ROM
    The problem could be that I havent assigned the Burner/DVD to the above list in order to assign it as a slave to the secondary master ie the CD ROM
    but I dont know.If it is then I dont know how to add it to the list.

Any ideas? Ask as many questions as you like if it gets this working I'll be delighted:D

Thanks
    elless

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Check the jumpers on the back of the CD & DVD drives, one should be master and the other set to slave.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

they are both IDE drives then if they are connected by ribbon cable.
    Are you using the same ribbon for both drives? if you are the connection on the end of the ribbon is the master and the one about a third of the way down is slave
    if its a separate ribbon forget the above.

Have you checked the jumper pins on the drives?
    there should be three pairs to the left of where you connected the ribbon cable

usually there is written somewhere near which pins do what

i have an old drive in front of me and it says (from left to right)

CS (that means cable select meaning if there is a jumper on these two pins and its connected to the end of a ribbon cable with two connectors for two devices it will be the first or master device)

SL (that means slave;))

MA (that means master of course)

so check that out and see if it helps. You could also replace the cd with the DVD drive just to see if its recognised.

then check the bios settings and see if the new drive is showing up and set boot order to 1hard drive 2 DVD

good luck let us know how your getting on

Would you believe I am at this since 2.30 yesterday and I have no hair left lol

The first thing I did yesterday was to just replace the CD with the DVD but would not work, now with what you are telling me I might need to change the jumper on the back of the DVD.The pins on the DVD, as you said guys is, Master, Slave and Cable Select and so is the CD ROM.The DVD has a jumper covering the Master pins and the CD ROM has a jumper covering the Cable Select pins.

I have a single ribbon ONLY to connect 1 drive at a time but I managed to get a single ribbon to connect both at the same time.Neither way worked

Are the jumpers in the right order: CD ROM as master and DVD slave if so what do I do next because if the jumpers are right then why didnt it work yesterday?

Help:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

simplify your problem
    will it boot without both dvd or cd rom drive connected ?
    will it boot with dvd drive only(cd rom not connected)?
    if yes to 1st and no to 2nd then your dvd drive is faulty.

The PC wont boot without the CD connected at all.

It wont boot with the DVD connected on its own or together with the CD.

It wont boot when the ribbon, with the extra connection for the slave, is connected either only to the CD or when I connect the DVD to it aswell

When I connect the DVD to my old pc, which is where it came from it works fine, but the problem is the old pc is knackered so I cant use that.The DVD is not that old.

So is the multi connector ribbon knackered and the DVD because they work fine on the old pc if I can get that to work.Just running slow due to all the ****e I have on it.It should work Im just missing something:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Few points:
    If you connect both the hard drive and the dvd rom on the one cable the speed will decrease to the slowest componment.
    Ie the hard drive will only run at the dvd speed,really slow.

Has the hard drive got windows installed?

Yeah the hard drive has windows XP installed.I understand what you are saying about the hard drive lagging to suit the slowest component but it should boot up.I think definitely it has to do with the jumpers but they seem to be in the correct order.I need to double check again.Headwrecking:pac:

I have just checked and the jumpers are a different scenario on the CD ROM to the DVD.The DVD has Master,Slave and CS ie 3 sets of 2 pins with 1 jumper but the CD has 4 sets of 2 pins with 1 extra on its own and with 2 jumpers.

Anyway can someone tell me if the jumper is on the Master pins does that mean its the Master or does it mean its the slave??I think or I hope this is the problem.Please Please Please help:(

Thanks
    elless:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Your floppy DRIVE cable is probably on backwards, this will stop it "booting".
    Unplug it and try boot. There is no way your cdrom or dvd drive will cause your hard disk not to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

u may need to turn off boot stopping on errors in bios. also remove floppy from the bios boot sequence.
    with regards the dvd/cd rom info u are giving its confusing. is it a case of, u had a working PC with cd rom drive originally and then u tried to install a dvd drive and then started to experience problems?

Advertisement