Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Call Credit Rip Off

Options
  • 14-10-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought my godson a mobile phone for his fourteenth birthday in Tescos in Clare Hall at the weekend. It cost €129 with a promise of €80 call credit. I rang Meteor today to register his phone for the call credit and they told me that he is only entitled to €10 call credit and that the shop and the meteor website are wrong with regards to the €80 call credit.

http://www.meteor.ie/phones/all/details/sony-ericsson_w580i_black/

What can i do?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Did you read the terms ?

Doesn't look like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

KTRIC wrote: »
    Did you read the terms ?

Doesn't look like it.

Yes i did. It says €10 per month for few months and i am fine with that but the have told me on the phone he will only get €10 total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Killme00 wrote: »
    Yes i did. It says €10 per month for few months and i am fine with that but the have told me on the phone he will only get €10 total.
    About Call Credit

New Customers: Requires online registration, transfer of number and phased call credit requires monthly top up.

Did you transfer his number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tictac2580

I rang Meteor today to register his phone for the call credit

The terms mention ONLINE REGISTRATION.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It also says "Call credit up to €80". So, €10 qualifies.

They always have more than enough conditions in the clauses to be able to cover themselves.

From their FULL TERMS that a brand new customer (not transferred from another operator) will only get €10.

I can't see how they are doing anything wrong, or not sticking to the terms you agreed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 stacka

this happened to me with xtravision they were running a meteor promotion with 60 euro free credit. the first time i went to top up was told by meteor that there was only 10 euro on phone. Their customer service did not seem to give a toss. Took phone back to xtravision who told me that several days after I purchased the phone they got a memo from meteor saying that they were stopping the promotion.

I persisted with xtravision and they were good enough to give me a refund.

Think this is a bit underhand from meteor. If they have phones out there on promotion they should be honoring this. The only reason I purchased was because of the free credit offer. I wouldn't have went with them otherwise. Safe to say after this experience I won't be going meteor in the future either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Does it not mean you get 10e a month for 8 months? That's how it works on VF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 stacka

Carturo wrote: »
    Does it not mean you get 10e a month for 8 months? That's how it works on VF.

thats what I thought myself but after talking to meteor customer service was told there was 10 euros and 10 euros only with the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The shop are the ones "ripping you off" here and not Meteor. I would notify Meteor and make them aware that the shop is giving out incorrect information to their potential customers. Then I would go back to the shop and get a refund. Otherwise just keep the phone and the tenner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

http://www.meteor.ie/phones/all/call_credit/

http://meteor.ie/plans/switch_to_meteor/free_sim/porting_bonus/

Looks like you should have gotten €61 credit, if you registered online. Can't see how this is the shops fault. You could have gotten up to €80 credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Random wrote: »
    The shop are the ones "ripping you off" here and not Meteor. I would notify Meteor and make them aware that the shop is giving out incorrect information to their potential customers. Then I would go back to the shop and get a refund. Otherwise just keep the phone and the tenner :)

How are the shops ripping people off? The offer is from Meteor,they tell shops like Xtra-Vision what deals are on at the moment etc and all places like Xtra-Vision do is sell the phone and tell you what Meteor's offer with credit is. The shop has nothing to do with credit,its all up to Meteor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tvnutz wrote: »
    How are the shops ripping people off? The offer is from Meteor,they tell shops like Xtra-Vision what deals are on at the moment etc and all places like Xtra-Vision do is sell the phone and tell you what Meteor's offer with credit is. The shop has nothing to do with credit,its all up to Meteor.

I'd agree, your contract is with Meteor not with Xtravision or any otgher shop,m the information is there in the Terms & Conditions and the Meteor.ie website...in the end its upto the customer to ensure they are informed and to ask the right questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hi,

I bought my godson a mobile phone for his fourteenth birthday in Tescos in Clare Hall at the weekend.

What can i do?

You can take it back for a full refund and get a better deal and phone somewhere else...

i'm guessing this is his first phone or he's getting a new number....

If the free credit is what your after 3 pay offer the best deal at the moment, €5 on the sim and €10 for 8mts as long as you top up by €10pm so you get €85 free credit... No registration is required...

02 speakeasy Offer is abismal...50 cent on the sim, €5 for 3mts and an extra €5 if you register on line...so a total of €20.50 (€20pm top up is also required)

Meteor offer €1 on the sim, €10 for registering and €10 for registering online so a total of €21

Vodafone offer up to €20 free credit....

At the moment all the free credit offers are useless except 3's offer and that still requires a €10 top up..best of a bad bunch..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

take a look here to see why you shouldn't listen to drunkmonkey when he recommends 3:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/dm.htm

all he does all day every day on the mobiles forum is try to get people to switch to 3. occasionally he posts correct information but you simply can't trust his recommendations because he's not trying to present you with the best option for you, he's trying to get you to switch to 3, regardless of whether 3 would be any good for you.

his reasons for doing this are beyond me because he doesn't seem to be getting paid by them but the fact remains, he loves 3 and will invariably exaggerate their benefits (and make some up) and exaggerate every other network's drawbacks (and again, make some up)

this thread for example. his latest thing is to focus all attention on the free credit offers because 3's is very slightly better than the other networks on some phones.

you'll note he doesn't mention that meteor offer up to €80 credit on the higher value phones* and he makes out like free credit should be the deciding factor here when you could easily save far more in credit than 3 give if you get an appropriate deal on another network.

basically every tiny little thing that 3 do slightly better is shouted from the roof tops and exaggerated and everything they do worse (far more things imo) are ignored

*may be incorrect but that's what it says on their website

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wow he certainly posts alot of "postive" posts about three, crazy :)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    take a look here to see why you shouldn't listen to drunkmonkey when he recommends 3:

all he does all day every day on the mobiles forum is try to get people to switch to 3. occasionally he posts correct information but you simply can't trust his recommendations because he's not trying to present you with the best option for you, he's trying to get you to switch to 3, regardless of whether 3 would be any good for you.

his reasons for doing this are beyond me because he doesn't seem to be getting paid by them but the fact remains, he loves 3 and will invariably exaggerate their benefits (and make some up) and exaggerate every other network's drawbacks (and again, make some up)

Sam, wtf, give it a rest and stop watching every word I say.....i've merley informed the OP of all the options, just cause 3 give the most free credit does not make me a bad guy....
    seriously man your verging on the obsessive....give it a rest....

this thread for example. his latest thing is to focus all attention on the free credit offers because 3's is very slightly better than the other networks on some phones.

Sam let's get one thing straight, The OP was giving out about free credit and asked what to do, I gave my 2cent which is allowed......now go away and troll someone else..

Sam, wtf, give it a rest and stop watching every word I say.....i've merley informed the OP of all the options, just cause 3 give the most free credit does not make me a bad guy....
    no it doesn't. but spending all day every day trying to get people to switch to 3 and making up stuff in the process does
    seriously man your verging on the obsessive....give it a rest....

all i did was spend ten minutes going through your post history. i'd consider it more obsessive to spend 8 months pimping 3. your readiness to rubbish every other alternative whether what you're saying is true or not, promote them whether what you're saying is true or not and blindness to their faults is reminiscient of a cult member at this stage tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Sam let's get one thing straight, The OP was giving out about free credit and asked what to do, I gave my 2cent which is allowed......now go away and troll someone else..

it absolutely is allowed. and i am equally allowed to put your posts into context by showing that you always recommend 3 and take every possible opportunity to recommend 3 so the fact that you're recommending 3 here doesn't necessarily mean very much

seriously go away your a troll....you have added nothing to this thead but a personal attack on me!

seriously go away your a troll....you have added nothing to this thead but a personal attack on me!

i posted a link to a selection of your post history with a short description of the content of each post. if you consider that a personal attack then fair enough

edit: please point out the sections which you believe to be untrue with a description of why you believe them to be untrue and i will remove them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

it absolutely is allowed. and i am equally allowed to put your posts into context by showing that you always recommend 3 and take every possible opportunity to recommend 3 so the fact that you're recommending 3 here doesn't necessarily mean very much

Are admin aware of this? The plugging seems excessive.

drunkmonkey surely if you believe this to be a personal attack report the post and let the mod decide if Sam is trolling or providing helpful information to boards users so they can make a more informed decision about which provider they will use

Baza210 wrote: »
    Are admin aware of this? The plugging seems excessive.

i know some of the mods are. i don't think it's reached admin level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

i know some of the mods are. i don't think it's reached admin level

Judging by your list it looks like there's way too much plugging going on for him/her not to have something to do with 3. Absolutely Ridiculous.

Cabaal wrote: »
    drunkmonkey surely if you believe this to be a personal attack report the post and let the mod decide if Sam is trolling or providing helpful information to boards users

Sam is the most Pro Meteor poster I have seen on boards, I'm pro 3 so what we cancel each other out but I do not troll him...Both of us give help posters in mobiles & pda and are active in other parts of boards where there is no problem with anyone...

Sam has dragged this thread completly off topic as it does not show meteor in a good light, The poster was right about the call credit rip off.....

Did I not provide usefull information to the poster about their free credit options? Sure it was pro 3 in this case bit so what that's the reality of the situation..

Judging by your list it looks like there's way too much plugging going on for him/her not to have something to do with 3. Absolutely Ridiculous.

I could have done the exact same thing to Sam if I knew how...

• Advertisement

Sam is the most Pro Meteor poster I have seen on boards, I'm pro 3 so what we cancel each other out but I do not troll him...Both of us give help posters in mobiles & pda and are active in other parts of boards where there is no problem with anyone...
    follow the instructions below and you will see that i regularly recommend every network depending on what the person has asked for, even :eek: 3!! the difference is i recommend what the person wants to the best of my ability based on what they asked for whereas you try to think of a way to get them to switch to 3
    Sam has dragged this thread completly off topic as it does not show meteor in a good light, The poster was right about the call credit rip off.....
    you'll notice i didn't even post in the thread until you yet again took an opportunity to pimp 3, thereby dragging the thread off topic. and the words "rip off" imply it was deliberately done. this is a case of misinformed staff
    Did I not provide usefull information to the poster about their free credit options?
    you did, however he didn't ask about his free credit options, you just saw an opportunity to pimp 3 and took it
    I could have done the exact same thing to Sam if I knew how...

go to the top of the thread, click search->advanced search. type my username in the user name text box and any keyword you want, then on the bottom left choose "show results as: posts". you should probably choose mobiles & pdas from the list box too. i'd love a list of all the posts where i exaggerated or pimped* so i can retract them all

*as defined by jumping in to promote something when it's nothing to do with the thread. this thread for example

edit: and what you call being "pro meteor" is more often than not attempting to correct you when you post something about them that's not true

Advertisement