Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Call Credit Rip Off

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

On a daily basis I advise people on what phone to go for (and contrary to popular opinion it's usually Meteor)...
    I do ask the questions and make sure it's the right choice for them...

If someone has a bee in there bonnet about call credit i'd recommend 3. Which I did in this case.

What have you brought to the thread Sam besides having an uncalled for pop at me? What's your advice to OP about the "Meteor Call Credit Rip Off"?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

On a daily basis I advise people on what phone to go for (and contrary to popular opinion it's usually Meteor)...
    any chance you could follow the instructions i gave to find a few posts where you recommended meteor? on one of the links someone said that they switched to meteor and but the port hadn't gone through yet* and you described it as a "crazy network move". in another someone said they were having coverage problems with an unnamed network and out of the blue you said you were "secretly hoping it's meteor". Seems odd you would go on to recommend them :confused:
    If someone has a bee in there bonnet about call credit i'd recommend 3. Which I did in this case.
    in one of the links on that page, someone said that bebo wasn't displaying properly on his o2 phone and you recommended he switch to 3 :rolleyes:
    What have you brought to the thread Sam besides having an uncalled for pop at me? What's your advice to OP about the "Meteor Call Credit Rip Off"?
    i came here to put your recommendation in context as a person who takes every opportunity to recommend 3. the correct advice had already been given before either of us posted so i didn't feel the need to post until you took the thread off topic

*the reason being that porting had closed for the day and it would go through the next morning. meteor had done nothing wrong in that case, you just wanted to get a dig in

christ on a bike i can't believe i'm asking for your advice but how do you multi quote someone like you constantly do to me?

Actually no don't tell me it mighten be pretty...

Sam thanks for correcting me, It was bad form of me to give call credit breakdowns in a call credit thread, what was I thinking, how stupid of me, I must go out and give myself 50 lashes with a Meteor sim.....:p

christ on a bike i can't believe i'm asking for your advice but how do you multi quote someone like you constantly do to me?
    there's the multi-quote button between the quote button and the thanks button or you can simply copy and paste each quote into a single text box, the bits in between QUOTE=drunkmonkey;57599567] and /quote] (i left out the [ at the start of each or it would appear as an actual quote), like below
    click quote on this post to see what i mean
    Sam thanks for correcting me, It was bad form of me to give call credit breakdowns in a call credit thread, what was I thinking, how stupid of me, I must go out and give myself 50 lashes with a Meteor sim.....:p
    to be more specific, it was bad form of you to give 3's call credit breakdowns in a thread about meteor's call credit breakdowns and try to get someone to switch networks because they had a small issue caused by an uninformed staff member

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    there's the multi-quote button between the quote button and the thanks button or you can simply copy and paste each quote into a single text box, the bits in between QUOTE=drunkmonkey;57599567] and /quote] (i left out the [ at the start of each or it would appear as an actual quote), like below

click quote on this post to see what i mean

Right i'm trying it, bet it'll end in a mess..

to be more specific, it was bad form of you to try to get someone to switch networks because they had a small issue caused by an uninformed staff member

I informed someone who was giving out about free call credit that he could get a better deal else where if free credit was his thing....in fairness if he had of walked into a phone store he would have got correct advice..

OP tesco is not the place to buy a phone...

• Advertisement

I informed someone who was giving out about free call credit that he could get a better deal else where if free credit was his thing....
    which would have been fine (although off topic and pretty much irrelevant to the thread) if someone else had posted it tbh but as far as i'm concerned you have ulterior motives. the way i see it, you're not thinking to yourself:

"oh this person has got a bad deal. i think i'll recommend a different network even though he didn't ask for that. i wonder what would be better for him?? hmmmm, i think that in this case 3 might be good for him"

you're thinking:

"\o/ yay another chance to get someone off meteor and onto 3!!111!!"
    OP tesco is not the place to buy a phone...
    this is true. i'm wondering why they're even selling meteor phones, what with tesco mobile and all

to be more specific, it was bad form of you to give 3's call credit breakdowns

I also gave 02's and Voda(i couldn't find the breakdown for Voda). So I was being fair..

Poster had a problem with getting ripped off with credit on the new phone (that's not correct, that's bad advice), Simple solution give back the phone and get a phone with more free credit....

I presumed the Posters next question would be who gives you the most free credit, I saved him the bother of asking....

Nothing sinister or underhanded about it....

I also gave 02's and Voda(i couldn't find the breakdown for Voda). So I was being fair..
    in fairness now drunkmonkey, the world and it's granny knows that you only mentioned them to point out how crap they are.
    Poster had a problem with getting ripped off with credit on the new phone (that's not correct, that's bad advice), Simple solution give back the phone and get a phone with more free credit....
    the way i see it the problem here is that he was told he was getting more than he was. had he been given the right amount in the first place and the right instructions about how to maximise it i highly doubt there would have been a thread because he'd be happy with his new phone
    I presumed the Posters next question would be who gives you the most free credit, I saved him the bother of asking....

Nothing sinister or underhanded about it....
    but the problem, drunkmonkey, is that you always presume that. this is not just me being crazy dm, several other people have sadi the same thing to you. four months ago someone asked you "must you pimp 3 in every post?" and last week a mod told you to "stop going on about 3 already".

this is not like a live conversation dm, i can go back and view every post you've made and show that you're heavily biased towards 3. i wish you'd stop pretending that you always give fair and unbiased advice

I'm working on getting better with my doctor, it's a long road but hopefully i'll get through it...

This thread would have never happend if OP got a <snip> phone.....it's one complaint i've never heard....ya ya I know there would probably be another thread with a different complaint:rolleyes:

I'm working on getting better with my doctor, it's a long road but hopefully i'll get through it...

This thread would have never happend if OP got a <snip> phone.....it's one complaint i've never heard

true. and it also wouldn't have happened it he got an o2 phone or a vodafone phone or was talking to a competent sales assistant.

btw, have 3 started to do upgrades on 3pay or is it still the case that you can only get a phone with a new sim and you have to make the choice between getting the credit and keeping your number?

edit: and none of this would have happened if it was vodafone's call credit offer that was better than meteor's and not 3's. because it's not about telling people about good offers, it's about telling people about 3's offers

• Advertisement

btw, have 3 started to do upgrades on 3pay or is it still the case that you can only get a phone with a new sim and you have to make the choice between getting the credit and keeping your number?

I've been doing upgrades in 3pay for a couple of months, you keep your own sim and get the free credit again top up x10 get 10 thing starts again for 8 - 10 mts.......there are T&Cs attached to getting an upgrade like you would have needed to top up etc...

I've been doing upgrades in 3pay for a couple of months, you keep your own sim and get the free credit again top up x10 get 10 thing starts again for 8 - 10 mts.......there are T&Cs attached to getting an upgrade like you would have needed to top up etc...
    i just rang 3 and asked about upgrade criteria. The first person hummed and hawed and transferred me to the upgrade dept where i gave up after ten minutes on hold then the second person said i have to top up e200 in 6 months to be eligible :eek:.

I asked if i was a customer for ten years but never managed to reach that figure in a 6 month period would i ever be entitled and he said no. Can you confirm that? Sounds about right to me because i've had my 3 sim for nearly two years and i'm sure i've put more than 200 in and i'm not entitled

i just rang 3 and asked about upgrade criteria. The first person hummed and hawed and transferred me to the upgrade dept where i gave up after ten minutes on hold then the second person said i have to top up e200 in 6 months to be eligible :eek:.

I asked if i was a customer for ten years but never managed to reach that figure in a 6 month period would i ever be entitled and he said no. Can you confirm that? Sounds about right to me because i've had my 3 sim for nearly two years and i'm sure i've put more than 200 in and i'm not entitled

take if from someone in Ireland...here's the criteria ...

You need to be with 3 for at least 1 year, You need to have topped up by €200 in your total time with 3

And you would need to have topped up by a minimum of €30 in the last 3mts.....

you know there is a way round it but you might loose a legacy plan if you had it.....;)

take if from someone in Ireland...here's the criteria ...

You need to be with 3 for at least 1 year, You need to have topped up by 200 in your total time with 3

And you would need to have topped up by a minimum of 30 in the last 3mts.....

you know there is a way round it but you might loose a legacy plan if you had it.....;)

while asking the guy to clarify if it was 200 total or 200 in 6 months he repeated the criteria i gave 5 or 6 times very confidentally, word for word each time as if he was reading it from a script. But what you said is completely different. Where did he get that info :confused:

edit: he also said you have to be with them 6 months, not a year. I think i'll ring up a few times and see how many different answers i get :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

tvnutz wrote: »
    How are the shops ripping people off? The offer is from Meteor,they tell shops like Xtra-Vision what deals are on at the moment etc and all places like Xtra-Vision do is sell the phone and tell you what Meteor's offer with credit is. The shop has nothing to do with credit,its all up to Meteor.
    My answer is based on people saying the shop giving out the wrong info and the OP purchasing based on this.

edit: he also said you have to be with them 6 months, not a year. I think i'll ring up a few times and see how many different answers i get :P

He's correct about 6mts, i've just dug out the upgrade criteria from my inbox...I called ds the first time...

this is the criteria the Gospel version:)
    1. The customer must have spent a minimum of €200 with 3 and have a monthly spend of €10 or more
    2. The customer must be with 3 a minimum of 6 months.
    3. The customer’s spend for the previous 3 months is above the minimum requirements set by 3 (€10pm)
    4. The customer’s account is still active, i.e. account has not been retired nor is it due to be retired
    3 Upgrade tiers, bronze, silver and gold, €80, €90, €100

so now we have 4 versions:D

@Sam i've just burnt my steak, I hope your happy:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Simple criteria, you need to be with them at least 6 months, have topped up by at least 200 and top up at least 10 per month for the 6 months prior to your upgrade. Hope that helps sam. Drunkmonkey: Stop going on about 3 for god's sake. Nothing is gonna come of it only you getting banned. Give the information people are looking for in an unbiased way at let the people here make up their own minds.

He's correct about 6mts, i've just dug out the upgrade criteria from my inbox...I called ds the first time...

this is the criteria the Gospel version:)
    1. The customer must have spent a minimum of €200 with 3 and have a monthly spend of €10 or more
    2. The customer must be with 3 a minimum of 6 months.
    3. The customer’s spend for the previous 3 months is above the minimum requirements set by 3 (€10pm)
    4. The customer’s account is still active, i.e. account has not been retired nor is it due to be retired
    3 Upgrade tiers, bronze, silver and gold, €80, €90, €100

so now we have 4 versions:D
    i just called again and got the above word for word. he even mentioned the bit about the account being active and the tiers. his one didn't give the figure for the minimum spend though.

those criteria are a bit strict don't you think? i've been with them since july 2006 and i'm still not eligible and it doesn't look like i will be in the foreseeable future
    @Sam i've just burnt my steak, I hope your happy:mad:
    delighted :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 j-bone

i think you're all missing the point here...there is no such thing as "free" credit,,rather bonus credit for adhereing to a set of guidelines ie..minimum topup per month,,all mobiles are subsidised by the networks, so even if you never get 1cent in "free" credit,,you've still got a handset at a reduced price...go ask nokia...

• Advertisement

Walkman wrote:
    Spelling before sam points it out;-)
    Walkman wrote: »
    Give the information people are looking for im an unbiased way
    i still had the tab open :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wow, I can't believe that I had to read so many pages of bickering.

Posters, if you have a problem with other posters' posts, then use the Report function, or create a thread in the Feedback Forum.

I will not tolerate any further arguing and silliness in this thread. The next person to take this argument any further will be banned without warning.

dudara

To the OP, it is possible that the €80 is given out over the course of 8 months (ie €10 per month) once you top up by a certain amount each month. You might want to check if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

i still had the tab open :P
    i should have known, and i corrected it as fast as i could:-(

Walkman wrote: »
    i should have known, and i corrected it as fast as i could:-(

/evil laughs

/strokes white cat

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Walkman infracted for persisting.

dudara

EDIT: Infraction reversed after consideration.

Advertisement