Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready to use skim coat

Options
  • 14-10-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Had a small section of plasterboard that needed skim coating so I thought a bucket of one of these ready to use skim coats (this one was by Rawlplug) would do the job.

Found it very very frustrating trying to get a good finish with this stuff. Has anyone used this stuff? Whats the secret to getting a good finish with it?

Have a couple of tram lines that I could never get out. Then the surface itself is crap....not much fun putting effort in and going backwards:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Eurorunner

Just noticed your post, i tried to use this before for a patch up job but ended up sanding back, i asked plaster about this stuff and its like most stuff "ready to use " out of a tub "it doesent work !". I ended up skimming it with regular skim coat plaster messy but got the finish. I also remember nearly choking when sanding the stuff back not like the add on tv says or the easy to follow guide. To fix tram lines u might use a lighweight filler or a premixed one preferrably of a good brand and coat liberally and leave slightly proud to sand smooth.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thought it was just me!
    Thankfully its not in a place where it will be noticed all too much. Wanted to leave it for a few more hours but did try sanding a bit of it and its not going to look half as bad once I get it sanded.
    In hindsight, looks like I should have bought a bag of gyproc skimcoat. Mess wouldnt have bothered me - I was going with the other stuff as I thought that it would be easier for the likes of me to get a reasonable looking surface with it.:rolleyes:

me too I couldnt wait to use it as i often get the water to powder mix wrong and end up using more than i need, its now gathering dust in the shed for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What's a tram line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

FX Meister wrote: »
    What's a tram line?

big steel tracks for trams. loads of them in dublin.

sorry. could resist:D:pac:

• Advertisement

You crack me upicon10.gif, get out the pollyfilla,

Tram lines are the small scratch marks left in plaster or filler when it dries quite small to see but are very obvious when painted.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I thought the idea with this stuff was that it HAD to be sanded back...
    I've used Lafarge and gyproc readymix (I assume this is what the OP is talking about) and try as I might with a steel float I couldn't get the finish I can get on proper skim...but when it dries and you get some sanding done, it comes up better than skim.
    You should never be sanding any of this sh*t without a proper particulate blocking dustmask...the gypsum and silica mightn't cause cancer but they do eventually lead to emphysaema (sp?) and silicosis of the lungs.

As for tram lines...the majority of them are caused by dirt and dust picked up from adjacent surfaces or by improperly mixed material...wet your knife/float and run back over the surface again.

Wertz wrote: »
    I thought the idea with this stuff was that it HAD to be sanded back...
    Well the one I was using wasn't suggesting that it was a necessity.
    I've used Lafarge and gyproc readymix (I assume this is what the OP is talking about) and try as I might with a steel float I couldn't get the finish I can get on proper skim...but when it dries and you get some sanding done, it comes up better than skim.
    Yes thats the stuff (although mine was branded Rawlplug 'Easy Smooth' but same difference). Well thats good to hear ref. the sanding - might not be so bad afterall.
    the gypsum and silica mightn't cause cancer but they do eventually lead to emphysaema (sp?) and silicosis of the lungs.
    Hadn't really considered this aspect of it - but now that you mention it, I think I won't bother with it this evening and will wait and sand it next week when I have a dusk mask.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's really more a risk during repeated and prolonged exposure...for someone doing a bit of DIY it's less of an issue....but that said you only get one pair of lungs.
    I've used Rawlplug's version of polyfilla and wasn't impressed with the performance...funnily enough used to get tramlines in it for no apparent reason (later put it down to the powder not mixing up to paste properly)...

Found an old dusk mask and took to sanding it. Scrubbed up reasonably well considering the state it was in originally - so no harm done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

get a tub of gyproc pro-fin semi lite from any merchant. It's basically the same stuff only 1/10th the price. Overfill and sand back is dead easy, its really soft but hardens with the first watery coat of emulsion over it.

It was suggested to me here a few years ago when I asked a similar question - can't remember who it was but I owe them a debt of gratitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That Gyproc pro-fin in the white bucket with blue wriing is good stuff.
    Easy to apply and sand.
    I find to get a good finish a paintbrush with a bit of water flicked on as it dries and just give it one good run with a trowel, you can get a really nice finish this way.
    Mixing the pink skim is hard work and it sets so hard that you can't even sand it if necessary.

Advertisement