Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greedy Promoters

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

jonny68 wrote: »
    Perhaps im being too harsh on DEAF as ive just noticed they are putting on a free event in the Globe all day Saturday which is to be commended, il try stop by for a pint as well.

I'l be playing around 7 if there's a tune you'd like to hear - and it has to be old and electronic - then let me know :-)

Paul Chillage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Dont know what your all crying about most new dance music is S.hite,and the nights that they have in Tripod,Pod etc etc are so bring Id rather go clubbing in the gravediggers,no atmosphere and boring,Keep it oldskool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Dont know what your all crying about most new dance music is S.hite,and the nights that they have in Tripod,Pod etc etc are so bring Id rather go clubbing in the gravediggers,no atmosphere and boring,Keep it oldskool

LOL. Your full of crap and its exactly your attitude that makes people intensely dislike the "back in my day" brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Back in my day???Im only 23 ya bleeding gickball,and I know what Im talking about,going see Sasha,Axwell or some other over hyper super DJ who play boring mudane dance music,were they charge 50 quid a ticket in some uber trendy student riddled dump like Tripod,were theres no atmosphere or buzz,just loada dopes with stupid t-shirts and gay haircuts,swaying left to right with plastic cups in their hands,least at the asylum reunion nights you got a glass,sorry my friend but if you find that enjoyable,you abit sad areant ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Your 23 and going on about what it was like when you were probably 5 years old and im the sad one? 50 quid into tripod...and you know what your talking about? Dont make me laugh, your full of crap. You only seem to mention tripod, funny that. Maybe if you tried other places and went to see decent new DJ's instead of just the latest "OLD SKOOLZ RENUNIONZZz" night once a month you would have your eyes opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭electrofilth

Back in my day???Im only 23 ya bleeding gickball,and I know what Im talking about,going see Sasha,Axwell or some other over hyper super DJ who play boring mudane dance music,were they charge 50 quid a ticket in some uber trendy student riddled dump like Tripod,were theres no atmosphere or buzz,just loada dopes with stupid t-shirts and gay haircuts,swaying left to right with plastic cups in their hands,least at the asylum reunion nights you got a glass,sorry my friend but if you find that enjoyable,you abit sad areant ya

In all fairness you are blabbing on a bit (50 quid what ticket?), plus I think if you learnt to spell it would make your argument seem a little bit more convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

One week ban for personal abuse. No need for it RaverRo808

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

wow
    swift justice,i like it:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Jaysus, I remember those shoes! They were't cheap either - between about 40-60 irish punts!!! I used to provide a lot of the music in that store - if it was electronic - I played it. As it says on the profile - early house, orbital, aphex, 808 state, meat beat manifesto, warp records, depeche mode etc etc
    Liam Dollard and Billy Scurry used to drop into the shop and give us tapes they'd made from Sides aswell and Billy used to dj every Saturday in the GPO arcade in a shop called "The Gap" (no connection to the USA one) and we had a smallish shop upstairs but the one I worked in mostly was in Crown Alley (where Difontaines is now)

Yeah, we did a Fax Records Special in February 2000 and had a really fascinating interview with Pete Namlook. We'd been long tme fans and felt that the label didn't get enough exposure here. It still doesn't and goes largely ignored even though the back catalogue boasts some of the finest collaborations and singular releases in electronic music history, in my opinion of course.
    As far as "Raumland" goes, well I don't think Pete or Move D have put out a dud yet. It's the usual blissful, emotive, dark electronics from the two of them.
    Glad to see there's another Fax fan out there.
    Btw have you checked out some of our recent shows on the myspace blog?
    P

Yeah I remember the Cox Creepers set me back a few quid then alright... heavy b*stards on the feet too - they would have been just before my clubbing days though, probably about 1992 or so.

Meat Beat Manifesto, theres another you don't hear mentioned much these days, or even back then a huge amount (In Ireland anyway). Picked up their latest album a while back, pretty good still but not quite what they were. I remember the Gap too, bought my Schott jacket there up on the top floor! - was a good shop at the time for mid-90's ravers clothing requirements :)

Amazing alright the lack of popularity for Fax and Namlook in general, I don't think I've ever seen a Fax release in an Irish store bar City Discs. I know most of the releases tend to be limited, but I suppose that's Ireland though too - I was in London last week and they had a few Namlook CD's, both on Fax and Ambient World. Have you got any of the recent double CD's that are packed with hours of MP3's? - haven't got any myself and have been reluctant to buy due to the sheer length of them, and being MP3 - probably not a very valid reason though! Fax is an exceptional label in general, some really amazing releases over the years - I only have a fraction of what they have put out though, seems to be endless. One I don't have that I really must get round to is Dreamfish... I wish they would reissue it again!

Haven't checked out your recent shows, must do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

Senan, i wasn't contradicting myself. What i was saying was that in my opinion some promoters are overcharging but with no justification, i.e - the money isn't being put back into the venues.

I'd pay the extra few quid if the promoters were playing their part and advertising the nights properly and getting the right venue, sound, lighting rig and anything else that will make the night one to remember. I know its far from cheap to run an event but if you put the work into a good night early on and build it up long term, you reep the rewards.

I remember going to the Temple Theatre in the 90's not long after it opened up and there was about 100 people in the place by the end of the night but you could see the amount of work that went into the place and i knew it would take off once word of mouth spread about the whole set up. The rest is history as they say. I'm sure the promoters of the Temple Theatre lost money in the beginning but kept putting on quality nights.

Theres too much short term thinking today with promoters in my opinion. Get some big name DJ in. Charge a fortune, rinse and repeat. All i know is that Dublin is a sh it hole for a good clubbing experience nowadays. There is the odd gem but they are very few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

really lads you dont know how well you have it,compared to the rest of the country.
    i live in new york and to be honest the scene in dublin sounds alot better than it is over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RudeGirl

The reason some promoters charge comparativley reasonable prices for quiet well known djs is often because they have deals with the venues whereby some or all of the money for the dj fee actually comes from the venue rather than the promoters pocket. So the venue pay and the promoter, eh..... promotes.That's why they can charge a fairly low entry fee for decent acts like Metro Area, Prins Thomas etc.I know this is the case with the button factory (for some nights anyway) and used to be the case with ri-ra, not sure if it still is. Even still promoters often wont break even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Now THIS is serious value for money at a fiver, it is for charity sure but credit where credit is due.:cool:

http://club.ministryofsound.com/club/listings

1zptxdf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

But isn't that gig being held by the venue itself ?
    MOS is an industry .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Wow, David Guetta on that MOS bill, what a draw. I love the way this guy has kept himself so underground and in no way has tried to exploit the commercial side of things. A true hero of the scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Aidric wrote: »
    Wow, David Guetta on that MOS bill, what a draw. I love the way this guy has kept himself so underground and in no way has tried to exploit the commercial side of things. A true hero of the scene.
    almost as underground and subversive as Fedde le Grand (also on the bill)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

i remember in oxygen walking back to the tent after the chems and david guetta was, i **** you not, playing a remix of "who let the dogs out".Sh1t DJ, astute business man

Although Garnier is also on the bill......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm confused. Is there not a huge difference between a very popular, international act coming over to play not simply a DJ set, but a full live set, and a normal club night where some guest DJ plays a set?

Being into rock and some metal music, any time a big act comes to play I pay between €20 and €60. Tbh, Infected Mushroom being €40 did not come as all that much of a shock to me, nor did I feel in the slightest that I was being ripped off. They're a hybrid psytrance/rock/metal band these days. It wasn't a typical dance night. No way I'd pay €40 for a DJ set, but this was completely different, everything was almost completely live and they put on such a good show. If one of my favourite rock bands came here and charged €40 I'd willingly pay it and if I had as much fun as I did at Infected Mushroom, I would feel that it had been well worth my money, so I don't see why I'd have a double standard simply because they're an act associated with the dance scene, and dance gigs tend to be cheaper affairs than rock gigs (although they tend to involved DJs, not live bands, the former being vastly inferior IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

theres loads of value for money in dublin, seen Regis for a tenner last friday night, the likes of Junction, Rubberband, Test, Bodytonic, big dish go always have quality irish and international acts over and never charge any more then about 10/12 euro, i haven't paid anymore the 15 quid (at the very most) into a night in dublin in years, most of them have had quality irish/international acts, i can think of 3 ripoff promoters (in dublin anyway) but infairness to them people are willing to pay that much money and they are in it for the money so theres no point blaming them.

whoever claimed the DEAF closing party was a rip off really should read up on things before posting such drivel, DEAF is a weekend festival with a massive amount of gigs & showcases much of which was either free or no more then a 10er, the closing party itself was worth the 35 quid entrance (even though there was huge problems with people getting in, but thats another issue).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

People pay up to €100 for tickets to see coldplay, so €5 is more than reasonale imho!

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »

are you for real,Guetta is as commercial as they come when it comes to dance music, utter rubbish

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I'm confused. Is there not a huge difference between a very popular, international act coming over to play not simply a DJ set, but a full live set, and a normal club night where some guest DJ plays a set?

Being into rock and some metal music, any time a big act comes to play I pay between €20 and €60. Tbh, Infected Mushroom being €40 did not come as all that much of a shock to me, nor did I feel in the slightest that I was being ripped off. They're a hybrid psytrance/rock/metal band these days. It wasn't a typical dance night. No way I'd pay €40 for a DJ set, but this was completely different, everything was almost completely live and they put on such a good show. If one of my favourite rock bands came here and charged €40 I'd willingly pay it and if I had as much fun as I did at Infected Mushroom, I would feel that it had been well worth my money, so I don't see why I'd have a double standard simply because they're an act associated with the dance scene, and dance gigs tend to be cheaper affairs than rock gigs (although they tend to involved DJs, not live bands, the former being vastly inferior IMO).

Absolute rubbish saying DJ's are vastly inferior to rock bands especially in this day and age.

brianc27 wrote: »
    theres loads of value for money in dublin, seen Regis for a tenner last friday night, the likes of Junction, Rubberband, Test, Bodytonic, big dish go always have quality irish and international acts over and never charge any more then about 10/12 euro, i haven't paid anymore the 15 quid (at the very most) into a night in dublin in years, most of them have had quality irish/international acts, i can think of 3 ripoff promoters (in dublin anyway) but infairness to them people are willing to pay that much money and they are in it for the money so theres no point blaming them.

whoever claimed the DEAF closing party was a rip off really should read up on things before posting such drivel, DEAF is a weekend festival with a massive amount of gigs & showcases much of which was either free or no more then a 10er, the closing party itself was worth the 35 quid entrance (even though there was huge problems with people getting in, but thats another issue)
    well Felix on this forum said some DJ didn't show up and the main act Model 500 hardly got any response at all so i for one am glad i didn't attend even if Garnier was good.

311 wrote: »
    But isn't that gig being held by the venue itself ?
    MOS is an industry .

that gig was held in the Ministry of Sound the reason it was so cheap is because it was for charity and these millionaire DJ's for once didn't charge a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

well Felix on this forum said some DJ didn't show up and the main act Model 500 hardly got any response at all so i for one am glad i didn't attend even if Garnier was good.

the guy that didnt turn up suffered a stroke on his way to dublin

model 500 were never goin to raise the roof to be honest, and im pretty sure most of who went were well aware of that fact, they pretty much shaped the whole techno scene so just seeing these guys was enough for alot of people, their music is more deep then bangin'

i heard garnier was terrible

i still think 35 quid is a very fair price, the promoters weren't to know that 1 of the nights main act would suffer a stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

are you for real,Guetta is as commercial as they come when it comes to dance music, utter rubbish

Jonny I dont think you sarcasm radar was switched on for that 1. :o

model 500 were never goin to raise the roof to be honest, and im pretty sure most of who went were well aware of that fact, they pretty much shaped the whole techno scene so just seeing these guys was enough for alot of people, their music is more deep then bangin'

i still think 35 quid is a very fair price, the promoters weren't to know that 1 of the nights main act would suffer a stroke.

I didn't know that other DJ forget his name suffered a stroke on way to Dublin how awful i hope he gets better.

Model 500 are legends, maybe if it was all an older crowd the atmosphere might have been different, i for one remember their earlier stuff and always got a great reaction in some clubs here.

cant comment on Garnier as i wasn't there.

Jonny I dont think you sarcasm radar was switched on for that 1. :o

the thought did occur to me but i didn't see any smileys involved so i assumed whoever posted it was serious, after all there have been fans of scooter on here praising them and being very sincere about it :p:D

edit: someone else got there first

that gig was held in the Ministry of Sound the reason it was so cheap is because it was for charity and these millionaire DJ's for once didn't charge a fee.

so therefore you can see that DJ fees are a huge part of high ticket prices. jaysus this thread is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Sh*t, didn't know Moritz had a stroke... there was a sign saying that the Trio were cancelled due to illness, didn't know it was as serious as that. Do you know if he is ok? A real shame, I was really looking forward to seeing them.

With regards to Model 500, I don't think most people were aware of the fact of who they were at all... certainly not judging by people reactions in the crowd. I agree that they wouldn't raise the roof in terms of their music and would never expect that, but from what I could see in general was a pretty poor response to them - there wasn't even a encore, one of the event organizers had to ask the crowd to cheer for Model 500 to come back out and even then there was feck all response. I could obviously stand corrected, maybe there was a level of silent appreciation :)

I wasn't going to see Garnier and didn't hear his full set but enjoyed it for a while, got a bit boring later on and we left early - thought that was just me being old though (was driving too :o )

Well worth the 35 quid though and by no means a rip off, a bit too packed but I suppose that is to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Sh*t, didn't know Moritz had a stroke... there was a sign saying that the Trio were cancelled due to illness, didn't know it was as serious as that. Do you know if he is ok? A real shame, I was really looking forward to seeing them.

With regards to Model 500, I don't think most people were aware of the fact of who they were at all... certainly not judging by people reactions in the crowd. I agree that they wouldn't raise the roof in terms of their music and would never expect that, but from what I could see in general was a pretty poor response to them - there wasn't even a encore, one of the event organizers had to ask the crowd to cheer for Model 500 to come back out and even then there was feck all response. I could obviously stand corrected, maybe there was a level of silent appreciation :)

I wasn't going to see Garnier and didn't hear his full set but enjoyed it for a while, got a bit boring later on and we left early - thought that was just me being old though (was driving too :o )

Well worth the 35 quid though and by no means a rip off, a bit too packed but I suppose that is to be expected.

That's a pity regarding Model 500-what was the set list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Two words come to mind ,broken and record.

311 wrote: »
    Two words come to mind ,broken and record.

broken_record.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Absolute rubbish saying DJ's are vastly inferior to rock bands especially in this day and age.
    Didn't say rock bands, said live bands, and I explicitly stated "IMO". I like seeing someone singing or playing an instrument live and think it really adds something to an electronic/dance act. So fair play to Infected Mushroom in this regard. If it doesn't really do anything for you then fair enough.

Also, that's all you took from my post? It was a very insignificant remark..

francois wrote: »
    That's a pity regarding Model 500-what was the set list?

It was a mix of all the more well known stuff from both Model 500 and Cybotron... the likes of Clear, Cosmic Cars, No UFO's etc. They did play a couple of tracks I wasn't familiar with that sounded more typical of mid 90's techno and was much heavier.... not from 'Deep Space' either but could have been later 90's stuff which I don't know.

Advertisement