Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat Scully Departs

• 14-10-2008 5:57pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Rovers and Scully have parted ways..amicably.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/944/
    Shamrock Rovers and Pat Scully have mutually agreed to part company with immediate effect.

"Pat has given great service to Shamrock Rovers," says Hoops' chairman, Jonathan Roche. "I don't believe anyone else could've achieved what he did, coming in after we'd been relegated and working within a very restrictive budget.

"We won the First Division championship at the first attempt, and then finished fifth in our first season back in the Premier Division – again, on a very tight budget.

"During that time, Pat had to juggle funds and players out of necessity. But as well as bringing in some very experienced players, he developed young talent such as Padraig Amond and Eoin Doyle.

"He also brought in and nurtured players such as Aidan Pride, Ger O'Brien and Tadhg Purcell. He leaves behind an impressive legacy.

"We wish Pat every success in whatever path he takes," Roche adds. "He played a pivotal role in our club's revival."

Pat Scully joined Shamrock Rovers in December 2005, from Kilkenny City – a club he revitalised during what was his first management role after a distinguished playing career.

Shamrock Rovers will advertise the position of First Team Manager. In the meantime, a temporary, part-time replacement will be made for the remainder of the 2008 season.

Extratime.ie will bring you more on this story as we get it.

Inevitable really. Would do a decent job for Drogheda, Bohs or Cork's re-building...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I called this last week.

Go me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »
    I called this last week.

Your clairvoyant powers were not exactly stretched on this one, Des. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Fair play to Scully, a man of integrity if ever there was one. An exciting chapter in the history of SRFC just got even more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Handy job for Alan Mathews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

gimmick wrote: »
    Handy job for Alan Mathews.

Someone is looking for a straight swap, me thinks

• Advertisement

At least Ricer may deign to favour us with his presence on Friday night, now.

No, rumour has it down here that we will have a part time, all Cork management team next season. Talk is of either Caulfield and Morley or Colin O Brien and Billy Woods.

Mathews will hardly stick around, given our future is still very much cloudy.

As an aside, Billy Woods retirement as a player is official as of today. Great great player. My favourite CCFC player of all time.

Alan Matthews my hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

No, rumour has it down here that we will have a part time, all Cork management team next season. Talk is of either Caulfield and Morley or Colin O Brien and Billy Woods.

Mathews will hardly stick around, given our future is still very much cloudy.

As an aside, Billy Woods retirement as a player is official as of today. Great great player. My favourite CCFC player of all time.

I wouldnt think matthews will leave for definite. in fairness hes stuck it out this season and i respect him for that. but if he does leave pat scully would be a good replacement.

sad to see billy woods go. given the injuries in the squad they could have given him more first team oppurtunities. right now im lookin at the derry match and they have a few kids on the bench.

Give it to Sean Connors for the craic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I think Dave O Leary is still available:D
    Scully done a great job at the Hoops pity to see him go before the stadium move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gareth Cronin (Waterford) or John Gill (Dundalk) I'm hearing so far. Could see possibly Scully off to Dundalk if Gill leaves (sacked if Dundalk don't get promoted methinks).

You hear? I hear Gill is going to Shels.

CiaranC wrote: »
    You hear? I hear Gill is going to Shels.

Not a chance, if Keely doesn't renew his contract I'd be putting money on Cronin or Scully to be Shels manager depending on how other things pan out, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Gareth Cronin (Waterford) or John Gill (Dundalk) I'm hearing so far. Could see possibly Scully off to Dundalk if Gill leaves (sacked if Dundalk don't get promoted methinks).

Have heard Cronin's name being mentioned also, with talk of some local fella take over at Waterford.

Sad to see Billy has retired, but he obviously hasn't been happy recently, pity he didn't go out on a high. But he does have his car sales job and a young family (another addition to the family recently). He has done well for us as a part time player, some great memories of him. My favourite player also, the local lad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Not a chance, if Keely doesn't renew his contract I'd be putting money on Cronin or Scully to be Shels manager depending on how other things pan out, etc...

Think there'd be a few others close in the mix too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

LOL at Shels and Cork fans 'in the know' about who will get a job that will be advertised less than 24 hours after Scully left.

LOL at Shels and Cork fans 'in the know'
    lol at you supposedly "in the know" about other clubs, yet when challenged refuses to post facts, and then pretends to have missed the questions posed.

lol at you claiming Rovers were "far from" getting rid of Scully only four days before he was "mutually agreed" to leave your club.

Clutching at straws there mate, it would seem a lot of people know more about your club's employment strategy than you.

LOL at Shels and Cork fans 'in the know' about who will get a job that will be advertised less than 24 hours after Scully left.

How was I pretneding to be "in the know"? Is speculating what happens wrong now?

lol at you supposedly "in the know" about other clubs, yet when challenged refuses to post facts, and then pretends to have missed the questions posed.

lol at you claiming Rovers were "far from" getting rid of Scully only four days before he was "mutually agreed" to leave your club.

Clutching at straws there mate, it would seem a lot of people know more about your club's employment strategy than you.

We didn't get rid of Scully, but thats not the point. No-one knew this time yesterday that he would ask for a new contract except Scully himself. You know all this though.

Anyone speculating about his replacement, especially on the LoI merry-go-round is swinging totally blind.

I have asked three times what 'backup' you and zebra have been claiming I won't provide.

• Advertisement

How was I pretneding to be "in the know"? Is speculating what happens wrong now?

so long as you acknowledge that it is just complete specualtion, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Rico Return?

You've been found out as a waffler, suck it up.

You really amuse me.

Personally I think Alan Mathews would be an ideal candidate for the Shams job.

You really amuse me.

Wind-up Merchant. Noone at Rovers wants to see that **** anywhere near the job, and Matthews hates Rovers with a passion.

Not on a wind up at all. Mathews will most likely leave City at the end of the season unless something drastic happens, and go abck to his bank job. he is Dublin based, and is used to dealing with part time players. He did a good job with part timers at Longford, so I see no reason why he couldn't do the same at Shams.

Personally, and I cannot believe I would ever see the day i would say this, I hope he stays at City because he has done a very good job with us this season given the circumstances he had to deal with. Had the 10 points not been deducted we would be in with a reasonable shout for 2nd.

No thanks.

stovelid wrote: »
    No thanks.

x 2.

He will not be considered for the job.

x 2.

How do you know?

You didn't know Scully was on his way out.

• Advertisement

You've been found out as a waffler, suck it up.

Because I didn't know Pat Scully would ask for a new contract before the Rovers board did.

Yeah, so found out. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

x 2.

Only slightly ahead of Collins and Doolin in popularity stakes, I'd say.

This is Boards, not an episode of the Sunday Supplement

Mick Cooke mentioned over on our forum.:eek:

Mick Cooke mentioned over on our forum.:eek:

You mean Paul Cooke.

You mean Paul Cooke.

Nope, Mick Cooke Monaghan Utd manager. Pretty decent manager and on a extremely tight budget I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

From what I've heard, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the manager is someone new to the league. Rovers aren't limiting the search to just Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I heard Gill as well for this job , scully the other way ?

:D No longer speculation. I have heard from a very good source that Mathews is on a shortlist of 2 to take the Shams job. This is despite the fact he and the Shams board are not exactly buddies. They see him as an ideal part time manager to establish themselves in Tallaght and push on from mid table.

The other is obviously Rico.

:D No longer speculation. I have heard from a very good source that Mathews is on a shortlist of 2 to take the Shams job. This is despite the fact he and the Shams board are not exactly buddies. They see him as an ideal part time manager to establish themselves in Tallaght and push on from mid table.

LOL, no longer speculation cos you say it? Ill inform the national press right away. Ill tell them Gimmick from Boards.ie says so.

Some crazy claims to be 'in the know' on here lately. I suppose your 'very good source' forgot to mention tonights appointment then or you didnt deem it worthy of a mention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Before gimmick's very good source tells him next week, Jim Crawford is caretaker manager for the season..

• Advertisement

So because there is a caretaker manager put in place my story is 100% wrong? Whatever :rolleyes:

Easiest way to do this is money where mouth is.

Matthews is at 12/1 and Rico 3/1 in Hills, only shop doing a book on the job.

I will lay any amount you want on those two non-runners at those odds. If you are that sure of your source take it.....

Why would I bet with someone I don't even know? All i said, is I heard it froma very good source that Alan Mathews is in the frame for the job.

My God, are Shams fans the most precious in the eL? :rolleyes:

Not sure if we have the same source gimmick, but I've also heard that Rovers want Matthews, and there have been moves from them in his direction.

Why would I bet with someone I don't even know? All i said, is I heard it froma very good source that Alan Mathews is in the frame for the job.

My God, are Shams fans the most precious in the eL? :rolleyes:

What I'm getting at is your source is fundamentally wrong. As is Des's and as is Sarges. You do not have an inside track.

To illustrate the point I am offering you the opportunity to stand over your source, which you are refusing to do. We can put the money in escrow in Betfair or get one of the mods to mediate.

Matthews will not get the Rovers job. Ever. There is a vital piece of information you are missing in relation to him and Rovers. I'm that sure I'll match any bet you want. Are you?

Not sure if we have the same source gimmick, but I've also heard that Rovers want Matthews, and there have been moves from them in his direction.

Place your bet then.....

And that vital piece of info would be?

Place your bet then.....

I'm not saying it's definite that he will be the next manager, but there has been contact from the Shamrock side, to Matthews.

If he never becomes the manager of your little club, then we can't ever prove this one way or another so a bet would be a little bit silly, wouldn't you think? :confused:

I'm not saying it's definite that he will be the next manager, but there has been contact from the Shamrock side, to Matthews.
    If he never becomes the manager of your little club, then we can't ever prove this one way or another so a bet would be a little bit silly, wouldn't you think? :confused:

Absolute and total bull. Simple as.

I won't waste my time asking for a source on that nugget

And that vital piece of info would be?

... that he verbally accepted and renaged on taking the job when Scully got it.....

same board, short memories, wont ask twice etc.

I cannot emphasise strongly enough how much he won't get the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement