Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specification guide

Options
  • 14-10-2008 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hi there, im considering building my own pc, but before i do i feel i have to understand what the difference is between parts. I've tried searching the internet in vain to find a guide that would explain basics diferences in parts as well as there effect on performance, ie.
    "Club3D 9500GT, 512MB DDR2, PCI-Express"
    vs
    Club3D 9500GT, 512MB DDR3, PCI-Express
    Hope you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Might be easier to split it up into separate things i.e. look at CPU's first, who makes them, their differences, basic PC architecture. This should kick on to RAM (how RAM speeds can effect CPU performance and visa versa) then onto the motherboards types (Intel boards are slightly different then AMD ones i.e. onboard memory controllers versus inchip controllers) and how CPU/RAM combos act differently, be they on an AMD base motherboard or an Intel ( FSB speeds w/ Intels). AGP,PCI, PCIe slots (speed differences, voltages/wattages supplies to them)

It can be a bit confusing at first as one topic will leak into another and back again e.g. CPU speed can be increased by upping the Front Side Sub (FSB) speed on an Intel based board but if you increase that speed too much your memory will become unstable. Too low an FSB speed causes the RAM to become a bottleneck preventing you from getting the best performance from the CPU.

CPU's : Intel versus AMD
    RAM types i.e. DDR2, DDR3 etc, dual channel
    Motherboards : Intel or AMD based, pros/cons
    Harddrives: SATA versus IDE versus the new SSD drives
    Audio : Onboards versus separate card, 5.1, 7.1 or just stereo
    PSU/Power Supplies : peak load rating versus constant load ratings
    GPU/Graphics Cards : AMD/ATI v NVidia

You don't have to go into great detail but knowing that you want a Core 2 CPU from Intel will point you to what motherboards you'll end up getting (wanting an AMD cpu will give you a different set of motherboards to choose from).

Once you've the CPU chosen, the motherboard should fall into place, then you can choose RAM, graphics card, how many hard drives you want, sound card. Take the power all this stuff needs (each bit of kit should specify its max wattage under load) and this will point you in the direction of the power supply and how big it need to be e.g. 500W or a 750W.

Pick your bits from an online retailer and then post them on here (or some other forum) and get peoples feedback on it.

Firsts builds can be expensive as you've to buy the case (~€60), OS (€~400 Vista? or Linux --> free), screen (>€200) but this stuff can be reused in subsequent builds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think you've gone a bit overboard there Yarnhall, he was only looking for the basics.

For a total beginner, this is really all you need:

CPU: They come in various types - single core, dual core, triple core (only AMD) and quad core. You have AMD versus Intel - Intel are far better in most ways, though if you're not an overclocker and only require a really basic machine, there is value in the lower end AMD products which are often faster then Intel at the same price point - but only the low end really. In 90% of cases, Intel CPU's are faster per clock and euro. Single core CPU's are fine, but dual core's, even the basic ones, are so cheap these days there's really no reason to go single core. Unless you're on an incredibly tight budget and can't afford to go a cent over budget. But even in such a scenario, there are Intel Celeron dual cores now, which are sufficient for the day to day tasks at a price point of sub 50 euro. These are not sufficient for heavy gaming or heavy multi-tasking. 150 would purchase you an excellent CPU for games and multi-tasking; as low as 50 euro would purchase one equally excellent for typical 'office' and casual entertainment purposes.

Ram: Doesn't really make a blind bit of difference to a normal or casual user. If you plan on overclocking, it will make a difference, ram is rated at different speeds from 533mhz upwards. But generally speaking, you don't have to worry about this, as long as the ram is the correct type for your motherboard (ie it is DDR2 or DDR3, and the board supports that speed, some boards will only support speeds of 667mhz and below). Good ram is so cheap these days, it's worth it just to get it over the cheap generic stuff.

Motherboards: Not really much to say here, at a very basic level you have different boards - those that support AMD cpu's, and those that support Intel cpu's. Be careful to get a board compatiable with your chosen cpu, i.e the current Intel socket is called Socket 775, but there are socket 775 motherboards that only support older socket 775 cpu's from the Pentium 4 and Pentium D era, and again there are newer 45nm S775 CPU's that will not work on certain older motherboard that support Socket 775 Core 2 Duo - this can be confusing for some people as the older 65nm CPU's are still available in healthy quantities alongside the newer 45nm. It's rare that someone would make this mistake after doing even a tiny bit of research into what you're buying, but it wouldn't be the first time someone bought a board assuming because it was that socket, it was automatically compatiable with the latest cpu's. The layout of motherboards varies, there are differences in cooling (the chipsets), number of ram banks, number of sata ports (for connecting dvd drives, hard drives, etc), BIOS features (overclocking, changing voltages memory speeds and timings, etc), number of expansion slots (PCI-E, or PCI), onboard features (HDMI, Video, Audio, USB, etc). Personally I always buy cheap motherboards, not cheap as in poor, but cheap as in reliable and basic. 50 euro will buy you a solid, reliable motherboard capable of decent overclocking. For certain other features, like for example if you wanted a motherboard capable of running dual video cards at full speed, the minimum price would dramatically increase.

GPU: Video card is very important for games, not important for normal day to day use - for this purpose, many motherboards have built in video cards which are perfectly good for normal use and even HD playback, and the playing of older or kids games. Say the example you have given:

9500GT DDR2 vs 9500GT DDR3. Both are OK cards but the DDR3 one is much faster. DDR2 is standard 400mhz, so 800mhz effective on the memory. DDR3 is 700mhz, so 1400mhz effective on the memory. See the difference? It can lead anywhere from a 10-30% difference in performance, depending on what you are playing, at what resolution. But it will always be faster with the DDR3 model. Only ever consider a DDR2 card if it's for light/budget gaming or something like HD content. For example - a DDR2 9500GT would rip any old game (Half Life 2, Company of Heroes, Call of Duty 2, etc) to shreds. But it would be handicapped on newer games.

Power Supply: Don't go cheap. A cheap PSU risks dying unpredictably, often (mostly?) never reach their specified output without dying or failing, and often draw ridiculous amounts of power to generate said wattage. For example, a good PSU will draw maybe 500w to generate 450w, whereas the really cheap ones often draw twice that for the same power. Avoid brands like Q-Tec, iCute, NorthQ, Advance, etc. Usually it's easy to spot them a mile away. High wattage for low price is nearly always to good to be true - they advertise things like '500w PSU for 25 euro' but they're be missing on critical features (for example, have a very low 12v rail, which is essential for powering video cards, or no Sata headers, needed for all modern drives and hard drives) and be realistically more like 350-400w. Some good makes would be Seasonic, Tagan, Corsair, OCZ, etc.

But of course feel free to ask any more questions. the post above mine is technically sound but I don't think what you were looking for - you don't need to know most of those things, don't let it scare you off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Thank both of you very much, the main intention of building the pc was to play alot of online games as well as running multiple programs at once. I would like to build a pc that allows me the flexiblilty to upgrade easily but without requiring to be updated for a while.I see quad proceesors are fairly cheap (i think) would it be advisable to get one of those or just stick to dual. Also i see alot of posts saying that 4g of ram is advisable even if vista 32 cant access it all, would this be suitable to my needs? I wont have time to build the pc till christmas, its just id like to understand what im paying for rather tham coping the pc gamer templates outright, thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thank both of you very much, the main intention of building the pc was to play alot of online games as well as running multiple programs at once. I would like to build a pc that allows me the flexiblilty to upgrade easily but without requiring to be updated for a while.

With quads so cheap, why not? But that said, it depends on what you mean by running multiple programs as once - Internet Explorer, Media Player, dvd burning - these will not really tax even a low end dual core. Now if you were running encoding apps, editing programs, etc, the quad would come in handy.

Any quad core will last you a long time, at the current moment even the mid-range CPU's from 2 years ago are still perfectly fine for everything including games. There's a lot of new processors coming out but for the majority of people, not a whole lot to actually tax them sufficiently.

It's true that 32-bit OS will not see 4gb, however it'll see most of it, 3.25gb, but it will also take video memory into account - so if you have, for example, a 512mb video card, that's down to 2.75gb. Seeing as you're building fresh, no reason not to go with 64-bit Vista, and the world is your oyster regarding ram.

Post up your intended uses, and what you'd ideally like, and we'll can give you a rough idea of a build. Questions like - How important is noise to you? How important are temperatures? What games will you be playing, and on what size monitor? What sort of case would you prefer, leaning towards neat and compact or a brute that makes itself known? What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Well id like to try all the things my old pc was never able to, multiboxing on wow was one that comes to mind and also ill definatly be playing the new COD game thats coming out, im also learning the basics of C# at the moment so i would probably be messing around with it.
    Size is not an issue to me however a quiet pc would be preferable but not a necessity. I need to buy a monitor as well so i cant say what size it is yet.
    Well i guess my budget would be around e800-900 i dont really see it as a toy more as a hobby investment as id really like to learn all about overclocking and the likes so i can add more to the budget if needs be. I have a vista 32 disk in the house so i wont need an os unless ill upgrade to 64. Id like to follow you advice on getting cheap but not crap, but saying that i have no problem paying extra if it is justified. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement