Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Stilo, piece of S**t?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I have decided to buy a car around the 1.4 litre mark.

I was looking at the ususal, ford focus, golf etc but kind of want something different. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the Fiat Stilo? Saw a very nice 2004 model with 50, 000 miles for much less than what you would pa equivilant in the latter cars mentioned? Question is, am i buying a time bomb?

I actually own a 01 bravo at the moment. Its never given me a "serious " amount of grief, its just that.....well its a Fiat!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Old models = poor
    Newer models = decent enough

There was a complete mid-run re-engineering. The 'new' one even got a higher Euro-NCAP rating.

My parents had an 02, very early model, and it had every electrical issue under the sun. However I've a mate with an 04 and its been grand for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi,
    I have a 2003 1.2 stilo with the skyroof.I am very happy with it and have had it 3 years with no probs.
    Also had a brava 00 before this and only had gearbox trouble(taught sister and lets just say gearbox took a trashing)
    But the stilo is very safe with loads of airbag and tons of safety features.
    Got the timing done last week as car had 51k up and it cost me €220 so make sure timing is done.
    www.fiatforum.com is very good for info on all things fiat.

Bear in mind that this site will give you a idea of probs that can happen like airbag faults etc. but i never had a second of trouble.

I could easily go for the new bravo but love my stilo too much.

Try to get one with a good service history.The 6th gear is handy,i get about 44mpg mixed driving.

regards,
    Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A friend of mine put 90k miles on one in 2.5 years with zero probs. Which is more than could be said for some of the other rep's German Brands.....ahem...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

My wife had a 05 1.4 and she did 45k miles of happy motoring in it, very underated car for what you get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...indeed, I know where there is one idle, due to that fancy louvred sky roof.

I'd be tempted to disconnect the roof, leave it closed, and just drive as-is.........might call him about it tomorrow........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

The 5 door version is a better bet as it doesn't attract boy racers or anyone else when you think about it. Less likely to have been abused.

The 1.2 litre dynamic models from earlier years are stuffed with extras, cheap on tax and easy on fuel thanks to 6 speed gearbox.
    Slightly unreliable electrics wise and airbag seat sensors give a lot of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There was a recall and issues with Pre 03 models. Brother has a 03 Stilo for two years and swears by it. The only hassle he had so far was airbag sensor

His dog chewed the rear seatbelts in this car last year causing it to fail the NCT :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

We got a 1.2l 3dr 5 years ago, only has 50,000miles on it now, but it's never let us down and we've spent nothing baring oil and tyres. The brake pad light did come on this weekend so there's another 30euro......

As for the air bag fault, it did pop up but after checking around a few sites I found its usually the connector uder the seat, sure enough a few minutes with a soldering iron had it hard wired in and no more problems.

Great little car really, more so round town of course.

Advertisement