Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE NATIONWIDE RE WW1 AIR FILMS

• 14-10-2008 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Did anyone watch Nationwide last night? It featured a section regarding a reunion of the PDF & Civilian personnell who worked on the WW1 "Flying" films made here in Ireland during the '60s and '70s. Almost every single shot in the program showed special effects of complex explosions and mock dogfights etc. As the son of the man, an ex 2nd Field Engineer Sergeant behind these effects, I was annoyed to hear people take credit for this work. There wasn't a single mention of his name and one civilian actually alluded that some of the effects were his work. The pilots featured were incredible flyers and the ground crews were also thorough professionals - but at the end of the day the public payed to see the explosions and dogfights. I wonder if any of the 2nd field COY lads were at the reunion? There were carpenters etc involved in recreating the planes of the era.If you saw the shot of the pilot actor walking away from the crashed biplane and how close he was when the plane exploded you get an idea of how deadly accurate this work had to be. Yet there wasn't a single injury as a result of the explosives or effects.At the time some of the more dramatic explosions were captured by amateur 8mm film and thankfully I got some of this transferred to video including the army carpenters building the replica aircraft.
    Despite the fact that he wasn't mentioned it is his name that features as the Effects men in the film credits. Just in case there are any old sweats who remember him his name is Noel Gallagher and his side kick was also a 2nd field man -Ex Sgt Tom Berry. Noel Gallagher is retired and has actually just completed building a 2 seater aircraft which is awaiting its offical test flight.
    Thanks
    Stephen Gallagher (ex Cpl, 5thinf)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

I saw it, it was interesting particularly as I'm old enough to remember seeing the dogfights overhead when they were making those films.

The 'civvie' you referred to is in fact Gerry Johnston who was in fact involved in the making of 'The Blue Max', as a trainee special effects operator. It was his first film job but he undoubtedly knew your Father and most probably worked with him. I doubt if he would take any credit away from your Father.

He has recently published a book called 'Lights, Camera, Dynamite' detailing his life in special effects. I haven't seen it yet but maybe your Dad got a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

The 'civvie' you referred to is in fact Gerry Johnston who was in fact involved in the making of 'The Blue Max', as a trainee special effects operator. It was his first film job but he undoubtedly knew your Father and most probably worked with him. I doubt if he would take any credit away from your Father.
    quote]
    Thanks for the reply. I knew it was Gerry Johnston and tried to email him from his effects company website - but the mail repeatedly bounced
    ( server error). Although I remember Gerry working on the films I was very young at the time.I asked my Father if he saw the programme and he, along with anyone else we know got the same bad impression.My father couldn't care less and I am probably being silly but I'd have liked to see the work attributed to the men responsible and feel they've been done a dis-service. In my parents house somewhere are the original drawings of those Oxy Acetylene Machine Guns along with plans drawn by my Father of the Tri plane and other drawings, notes etc. Attached are scans of one of the explosive effects. If you look at the 2nd one you can see the "bombs" that have been tied onto the plane and how close they are to the aircraft (and pilot!). I am willing to stand correction on any of the points I've made but they've been made in good faith.
    Thanks

Advertisement