Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island Key, East Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

What is this place like to live in at the moment? Any change on the parties etc.?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

Things are going very well here these days with the new management agents.

Love the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

I noticed the unfinished block was purchased in November '13 for 13 million euro, well I presume it was just the unfinished block.

I did hear that Nabco sold their blocks and the social housing side of the apartments will have to relocate in 20 years? bullcrap? sounds far fetched I know

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

I believe the whole complex was sold to Comer Group back in November - 13million sounds a lot for one unfinished block!

Good to hear the place is improviing, we always have loved the apartment (really well finished etc - even compared to our old one in Grand Canal). If someone takes the commercial block next door that should really show an uplift in the area.

Dmaurice wrote: »
    I believe the whole complex was sold to Comer Group back in November - 13million sounds a lot for one unfinished block!.

I wrote that arse ways meant not just presuming the unfinished block :o

I'd imagine then the social housing side will be vacated, I'm surprised there isn't uproar over that

• Advertisement

Who did Nabco sell too? If they dont have to vacate for 20 years then its probably not a major concern for the tenants....I'm all for social housing in apartment complex's but I must admit the way some of them treat it I wouldnt be sad to see them go!

I'd say the Comer group maybe, idk tbh, I was talking to a guy who lives there late last year and he told me had received a letter that Nabco had sold there share and that there was a clause that the social housing side could stay on until 2030 (I think) but would then have to find alternative accommodation

it is hard to stomach when your paying upwards of grand a month on rent and the person in next block is paying a 100 a month with a life time lease and wrecks the place (I'm not saying everyone but there's always 2 or 3)

Agree completely, also if the new owner of those blocks wants them out they'll do a deal to get them out quicker perhaps. I wasnt aware Nabco had sold - It would be interesting to see who is now managing those blocks - could well be Comer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

I also like the new management. The only thing that needs to improve is that litter all around social houses. I'll be making complaints about that and please do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jemmyboy

Going to be starting a job in IFSC in the next few weeks. Glad to hear the situation has settled down. Definitely going to try and get a three bedroom in Island key. The value is too good to pass up compared with IFSC and grand canal dock.

• Advertisement

There are some improvements like improved security but I don't recommend it. Too noisy. It may be good enough for students. Maybe it's just the block I am in but there is always a party over weekend on one side or the other. There are too many apartments, too close together in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kickflips

Hi Guys,
    I was wondering what Island Key is like these days? all settled down etc.. what the noise levels like ?

Weekends are the worst in terms of the noise, there was another party yesterday... I am not seeing any improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

I heard a bit of commotion last Friday night. Sounded like a group of people where outside one of the blocks at around midnight waiting on taxis. By the sounds of it there was 20+ people roaring and shouting. After 10 minutes of this I saw a Garda van drive in and circle. The noise stopped right after.

Things aren't half as bad as they used to be. The new management company seem to be doing a good job. Hopefully next summer they'll look after the roof gardens like the old management company did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭DeanSmedley

Hi guys, when did Comer take over Island Key? And who is the management company now? How much are the service charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sugarblue

Hi guys, when did Comer take over Island Key? And who is the management company now? How much are the service charges?

Took over about 1 yr ago I think . They are also the mgmt co. Don't know the fees though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Any residents here who could share info on utility costs?

I was considering renting there until recently when a work colleague told me her electricity bills have never been less than EUR200 every two months for a two-bed apartment.

She also mentioned an extra fee of EUR70 she pays monthly to the management on top of her rent that they said they would invoice but have failed to yet do so.

Having visited, the apartments are modern and to a reasonable standard but quite expensive rent alone. With electricity so expensive and the other +EUR70 I think I might find better elsewhere.

Is EUR200 every two months a normal electricity bill in a modern apartment in Dublin? Having lived abroad for a long time I'm not sure how to gauge it.

Also, do property management companies usually invoice maintenance fees?

Thanks!

My electricity bill has never been that high. Maximum in 2014 was 147e, minimum was 97e. I live in 2 bed, 2 adults and 1 kid.

I think the other bill your colleague is talking about is the hot water and heating bill that's charged by the management company.

Thank you for your reply zielarz. Your bill seems very reasonable and more in line with what I would hope to pay. We are meeting later today so I must ask her about it.

Went to view a couple of apartments here this evening. Was not expecting what I saw. I know apartments need a bit of a doing up after tenants leave but these had been left in some shocking state. Also very taken aback at the amount of rubbish on the streets outside the buildings, the place was filthy. For the crazy prices they are asking considering the state of the apartments and surroundings I'll be heading elsewhere.

• Advertisement

I blame social houses for the rubbish outside. The closer you're getting to them the more rubbish there is. The last block is also a social one.

I survived 3 years there, recently moved out. The worst thing for me was noise from late night parties.

Refuse to pay these ridiculous prices, that's the only way to stop the increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Looking at renting at the minute and came across a spot here, just wondering what's the story these days, is it decent or are there still the same issues?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Househunter35

How has your experience.being.I am thinking of renting there

• Registered Users Posts: 12 heidi7

Anyone still renting in Island Key? a group of 2 and 3 beds are gone up for rent and I'm really interested. Wondering if theres still trouble with noise? did the new management company help at all?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jazzy times

Hi All,

I was wondering how it is to live there now in 2017? It sounds like Island Key had a lot of growing pains in the past but that it has settled down somewhat? I was thinking of renting there so can anyone give me any feedback on how it is now with noise, loud music, safety etc Would appreciate it.Thanks

Hi, This thread seems to be dormant. Nobody seems to be posting/replying anymore.I was hoping to get some feedback on what it is like to live at Island Key these days? Any takers;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'll respond briefly- drawing your attention to a certain criminal element who see this as part of their turf.

For example: Barber's shop in Island key - East wall, firebombed, because local criminals have an interest in a barber's shop elsewhere in the city

Man stabbed 4 times found in carpark in Island Key, East Wall

Two women assaulted in separate incidents within 24 hours of each other in vicinity of same apartment complex

A number of units are for sale on myhome.ie - several of which state 'cash only' purchasers (implying-if you're not a cash only purchaser, you may not be able to finance the purchase

Example here

However- the vast majority of people are quite happy there..........

You need to do your own research- the vast majority of people there are very happy. Yes, there is an antisocial element- however, its minor in comparison with a lot of other places.

Do your own research.

Hi Conductor, Thanks for your feedback.I had heard about the incident in the Barber shop.The link relating to the two women who were assaulted appears to be in the vicinity of Rathfahrham? There is no mention of Island Key.Are you sure it was Island Key? Posting here on Boards.ie is a part of my research.I was hoping to hear from someone who lives there now.It's always good to hear from people who are living in the complex to get a good idea of how it is.I read a lot of the thread and there were so many negative comments in relation to noise, late night parties and kids running wild around the place but it was back quite a few years ago so I was wondering if it is any better now;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly- I'd suggest going there on a summer's evening and hanging around for a few hours- just to get a feel for what the place is like. I'm not really sure why no-one saw fit to get back to you- however, you can't really beat going there a few times at different times of day- and getting a feel for the dynamic of the place yourself.

• Advertisement

Yes I guess your right. I will do that.It's the only way to get a feel for the place and I might bump in to a few locals and ask them how it is;) Weather is not the best at the moment so most the kids will probably be indoors at the moment.Thanks again.

Advertisement