Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

do all insurers require NCT?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

hope yer all well.

today i VRT'd my car.
    I currently dont have NCT, as you would expect.

I rang my insurance company, and they said i need to NCT before they will insure me! this was AXA.

is there any insurance companies that dont require NCT, just for a short while!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

FBD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

So you drove the car to the VRT uninsured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

Thats not what he asked, and possibly has open insurance on another policy. Or may even have had the car towed there, in any case it's none of your jaysis business.

@OP most insurance companies never make any mention of NCT but I'm sure they would if any claim was being made

Onkle wrote: »
    @OP most insurance companies never make any mention of NCT but I'm sure they would if any claim was being made

in the event of a claim , it'll be one of the fundamental things they will seek. I know this from experience.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

You don't need to bring the car to the VRT offices to get it registered on Irish plates.

FBD will insure you no questions asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

+1 for FBD, they are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

ive never been asked for one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

miceal wrote: »
    You don't need to bring the car to the VRT offices to get it registered on Irish plates.

FBD will insure you no questions asked.

Yes, you do. They want to physically inspect the VIN no. They also want to check for 'extras', e.g.leather, alloys, etc..........they don't necessarily take your word for it.

OP - you need to go back to AXA - the NCT isn't worth the paper it's written on, from an insurance perspective, so I don't think they comprehend your situation - talk to them again.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes, you do. They want to physically inspect the VIN no. They also want to check for 'extras', e.g.leather, alloys, etc..........they don't necessarily take your word for it.

OP - you need to go back to AXA - the NCT isn't worth the paper it's written on, from an insurance perspective, so I don't think they comprehend your situation - talk to them again.

No, you don't need to present the car at the VRT office to have it registered here. They may ask to see it to check VIN numbers, extras etc, but in the 4 times I've done it they have NEVER asked to see the car. If you don't have the car with you when you go to the office and they ask to see it you just come back, similarly if you do a postal application (difficult to put the car in the envelope) they can ask you to present the car. It all depends on the type of car, but it is quite possible to register a car without it ever going near a VRT office.

Some insurance companies require a copy of NCT cert to satisfy themselves that the car is roadworthy, so it very much is worth the paper its written on I'm afraid, aside from being a legal requirement. I've been asked for a copy of mine for an older car I have but not in advance of providing insurance, just within a reasonable time.

Can I suggest people check their facts before posting statements that they THINK are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

It all depends on the car your importing, generally an old car (5 years for example) probably doesn't need to be present at the VRT office, Granted they may ask to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

quenching wrote: »
    No, you don't need to present the car at the VRT office to have it registered here.

Sorry, but you are incorrect.

As it states here, on the Revenue site.....
    How and where do I Register?
    A completed declaration form together with the vehicle should be presented at any of the 23 Vehicle Registration Offices

However. It is entirely probable, as you say, that staff aren't doing what they are supposed.

Hold the Press - Civil Servants not Following the Rules - wow, there's a turn-up for the books........:rolleyes:

Now re your comment I've been asked for a copy of mine for an older car I have but not in advance of providing insurance, just within a reasonable time - that is certainly more like the case for the OP, I believe. Otherwise no car would ever get as far as the NCT centre.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Sorry, but you are incorrect.

As it states here, on the Revenue site.....
    How and where do I Register?
    A completed declaration form together with the vehicle should be presented at any of the 23 Vehicle Registration Offices

Your link is to a "leaflets and guides" page, which also states

"You should be aware that inspection of vehicles being registered is a possibility and you should be prepared to make your vehicle available for any such inspection."

, together with info on postal applications.

You initially stated that it was a necessity of registration to present your vehicle and you couldn't register it without doing so. Clearly you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I know a guy who imported a car nearly two years ago, and still has no NCT. If the insurance company or Gardai put pressure on him to get it, he said he will.

So you don't strictly have to have it!

Dagon wrote: »
    I know a guy who imported a car nearly two years ago, and still has no NCT. If the insurance company or Gardai put pressure on him to get it, he said he will.

So you don't strictly have to have it!

NO, NO ,NO - this is the wrong information and you must be corrected here Dagon. You must have an NCT if it applies to the age of your vehicle. Its the law.:eek:

Advertisement