Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Breeze - keeps disconnecting - why?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All

I have the Irish Broadband Breeze Internet - the ' wireless' one that has the aerial put on the roof of the house and the wire that needs to be plugged into the computer. I don't have a wireless router to enable me to use the laptop unless it is connected to this wire.

My question is that recently, my broadband keeps disconnecting and when I go into the Network Connections, the IP addresses etc have all disappeared. Why is this. I also notice that my computer is sometimes connected to another internet connection (belkin...) - presumably somebody elses in the area.

Basically, I want to know why the IP addresses keep disappearing and why my laptop is trying to connect to a different connection in the area even though it is connected to my IBB connection?

Does this mean that someone else is using my Broadband Connection and if so how would I stop this?
    Any ideas

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Sorry, i'm a bit lost here. Do you or do you not have a wireless router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Disable the wireless network card on your laptop to prevent you from connecting to the Belkin wireless router. It may be confusing your laptop as it doesnt know whether to route ip traffic from the wireless card or the nic card in the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Mine's been disconnecting at times too. Since the recent stormy weather. Must give them a ring; this sometimes happens after storms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

The broadband is 'wireless' in the sense it does not use a phone line but I do not have a wireless router to enable me to walk around the house with my laptop for example.

How do I disable the wireless network card in the laptop? Sorry I'm a bit clueless when it comes to these things............

Is there anyway to ensure that no one else in the area is connecting to my broadband? Or does the fact that it needs to be plugged into the wire off the aerial/radio on the roof mean that no-one can connect to it anyway?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

musicfan wrote: »
    The broadband is 'wireless' in the sense it does not use a phone line but I do not have a wireless router to enable me to walk around the house with my laptop for example.

How do I disable the wireless network card in the laptop? Sorry I'm a bit clueless when it comes to these things............

Is there anyway to ensure that no one else in the area is connecting to my broadband? Or does the fact that it needs to be plugged into the wire off the aerial/radio on the roof mean that no-one can connect to it anyway?

Thanks

You got it in one, no wireless router means unless someone can get physical access and run a cable from your IBB box then no one can steal your BB but no one can steal a properly encrypted WiFi connection either without knowing the network key.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

How do a disable the wireless connection card in my laptop?

Why is my laptop picking up a different connection when it is plugged into my IBB

and

Why does my IP address keep disappearing

Advertisement