Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dl speeds

• 14-10-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Even though it doesn't tell you exactly what speeds your getting but they're at least one quarter of what i get on the PC, takes 30 mins to download 2 gig on the pc but 1 hour for 900 mb.
    Any ports or something i can open to increase it?
    Or is just because the wireless receiver is poor quality...
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm the opposite, I get far higher DL speeds with Live than my PC or Laptop, but what have have found is that speeds do vary on Live depending on demand on their servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Yeah i have a 6mb line with NTL, but if i dl during off peak times i can get 11mb...
    I say i'm getting 1-2 on the xbox though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Sorry to hijack the thread but i'm wondering, on average, how much live would eat into your DL limits.My DL limit is only 10gb but i dont actually have a gold subscription at the mo.How much would say, an hour on live use up?? 100mb??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but i'm wondering, on average, how much live would eat into your DL limits.My DL limit is only 10gb but i dont actually have a gold subscription at the mo.How much would say, an hour on live use up?? 100mb??

Ye'd be grand with that. Don't know hom much it uses but not too much. I had 10GB for ages and played cod 4 non stop and didnt get anywhere near the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Even though it doesn't tell you exactly what speeds your getting but they're at least one quarter of what i get on the PC, takes 30 mins to download 2 gig on the pc but 1 hour for 900 mb.
    Any ports or something i can open to increase it?
    Or is just because the wireless receiver is poor quality...
    Cheers.

900MB - sounds like you downloaded COD5 beta, everyone else was so it was slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Yeah guessed that, but even for other stuff it's slow, so it's server side then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Keith186 wrote: »
    900MB - sounds like you downloaded COD5 beta, everyone else was so it was slow.

Downloaded the beta last night. It downloaded 8% on the first hour but then really sped up and was finish within 3.5 hours. Probably because everyone had finished downloading it by that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I find the speed on the xbox alot quicker than my pc aswell. I downloaded the beta for tom clancys end war(1.2GB) in about 25 - 30 mins and the cod5 beta in about 15mins.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Keith186 wrote: »
    Ye'd be grand with that. Don't know hom much it uses but not too much. I had 10GB for ages and played cod 4 non stop and didnt get anywhere near the limit.

Thanks. Thats definately reassured me!!! I'll invest in a gold subscription when GoW2 comes out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Zonda999 wrote: »
    My DL limit is only 10gb but i dont actually have a gold subscription at the mo.How much would say, an hour on live use up?? 100mb??

It doesn't take up much at all. Around 150mb (max) for a full (and i do mean FULL) days gaming. If you're not downloading stuff or watching youtube videos and just using it for Xbox Live, you won't come anywhere near your limit.

I'd say I get fairly equal speeds with the Xbox and the PC. Maybe the PC has a slight advantage. I've 10mb Magnet so everything is pretty quick in fairness.

• Advertisement

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    It doesn't take up much at all. Around 150mb (max) for a full (and i do mean FULL) days gaming. If you're not downloading stuff or watching youtube videos and just using it for Xbox Live, you won't come anywhere near your limit.

I'd say I get fairly equal speeds with the Xbox and the PC. Maybe the PC has a slight advantage. I've 10mb Magnet so everything is pretty quick in fairness.

Thanks.Looks like dont need to upgrade to 3mb for a while yet.I only have a 1mb BT connection but, unlike many other BT users, i always seem to be getting round or about 950kb/s which is perfectly adequate for the moment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I was going to open a thread about this. I was away on hols for 3 weeks and before that everything was nice and fast, could download a 1 gb demo in a few mins. But since I've been back it's painfully slow, it now take 10 mins just to download a 50MB trailer. Nothing has changed, my ports are all open, no other machines on the network and my internet connection is fine, PC downloads are fast. Hope this is just temporary!

Advertisement