Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with car - help diagnose pls.

Options
  • 14-10-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My mechanic seems to be running out of ideas.

Here is the story :

I come back from 3 weeks holidays. The car won't start. battery seems ok.

I got the car towed to a local mechanic. 2 days later, the mechanic rings up and tells me the car is fixed.

I collect the car, pay 135e and 5 mn after (literally) the car is acting the maggot: engine cuts out while I'm driving.

I bring the car back to the mechanic straight away. Now he has it for 2 weeks. And doesn't seem to know the answer.

He says there is an issue with the "computer", and that it "lost" the code.
    He rang the Manufacturer who gave him a new code but the code won't be accepted.

Now, the car was still working when I took it there last (I could drive to the garage) but now it won't even start according to the mechanic.

Do I bring the car elsewhere or do I start looking for a new car?
    What can really be the prb and how much can it cost me?

Cheers.

car is renault megane classic 1998, 100k miles
    sensors and coil pack have been changed already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

Could be the key. They had problems with the [FONT=&quot]Immobilisers. Dont spend much more on it because it isnt worth more than 350/500 euro.
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Could be the key. They had problems with the [FONT=&quot]Immobilisers. Dont spend much more on it because it isnt worth more than 350/500 euro.
    [/FONT]

thx. and my mechanic is after deassembling the dashboard .. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Have you got the 4 digit code for the immobiliser? This is a code for manual entry by the way...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Have you got the 4 digit code for the immobiliser? This is a code for manual entry by the way...

I don't have the code unfortunately.

Presumably, the mechanic rang the manufacturer and gave him a chassis number. In return he got a generic code that was supposed to override any existing code.

I'll try contact the previous owner of the car to see if he still has the code.

thx

Hi,

The car is still at the garage (nearly a month now).

They are saying that the key and the ECU are not at fault. And it could be a broken wire (wire that go into the ECU) but due to the amount of wires going to the ECU it is difficult to fix.

What do you think of this? Is this diagnosis realistic, should it take that long, and how long does it take to pinpoint a broken wire?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

Seems like a lot of work for an Megane, it might be time to say goodbye.

If I knew what the problem was then I could assess if it is time to say goodbye but I feel like it could be something simple such as a loose wire somewhere etc ..
    I am very annoyed because I just passed my NCT before all this happened. And I have a hunch the mechanic could be the cause of all this :

My car was working like a charm until I go to the NCT, which I failed because of Carbon emissions. I went to the garage, they changed my coil pack I think. Then I went on holidays, I come back and the car isn't working anymore. Not starting.
    The rest is described in the post : the mechanic called me that the car was fixed and literally 5mn later the engines cuts out while I'm driving.

I do not trust mechanics, I have had many bad experiences which have nothing to do with car's model :

one time I go to Fast Fit to get a new exhaust, and 15mn later, the exhaust falls off on the road on the Quays at rush hour...
    Another time, I was servicing my car and the guy showed me that the wrong plug was fitted in my car probably put there by the previous mechanic...

Now I am becoming paranoid.

Next car could be a new car since I want to postpon my visit to the mechanic to the maximum. Another solution is to take the bus as I resent giving my money to these individuals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

say goodbye to your mechanic

get someone that knows what they are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Decent Automotive electrician or a mechanic with experience of electronic systems would be the way to go....

Umm what's their basis for saying its a broken wire? If they have done the diagnostic work and have an idea which wire is broken they would have it fixed in a few minutes...

TBH it sounds like they don't want anything more to do with it.

What part of the country are you in? I'm sure some boardsies would be able to recommend someone with the required skills to look at this.

Decent Automotive electrician or a mechanic with experience of electronic systems would be the way to go....

Umm what's their basis for saying its a broken wire? If they have done the diagnostic work and have an idea which wire is broken they would have it fixed in a few minutes...

TBH it sounds like they don't want anything more to do with it.

What part of the country are you in? I'm sure some boardsies would be able to recommend someone with the required skills to look at this.

Thanks DD.

The situation is embarrassing now.

They just assume it is a wire because they don't have any other explanation. They ruled out the key and the ECU.

I am in Celbridge, Co Kildare.

How can I take the car away now they have it? I mean what do I say to them :(

• Advertisement

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    Thanks DD.

The situation is embarrassing now.

They just assume it is a wire because they don't have any other explanation. They ruled out the key and the ECU.

I am in Celbridge, Co Kildare.

How can I take the car away now they have it? I mean what do I say to them :(

It sounds like they have no interest in fixing it or can't fix it.

You would be best off finding someone who can fix it. Then getting your car towed to them. There's not much they can say....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

To be honest i'd advise you postpone any further work on the car. You really have to weigh up your options as the car isn't worth much, and could end up costing you alot. The car could essentially be written off, ie. the cost of repair being higher than the value of the car, althought at the same time it is your car, and if you want to keep it then get it fixed.

Alot of the time, mechanics can charge heifty bills, for hit and miss solutions. If you bring it near a Renault garage, you'll be charged out of your wits. While your ahead, i'd say take the car as is, and buy something newer. If that's the case, just ring the garage and tell them that you've decided that it will no longer be feasible to work on the car, as it's cost of repair will exceed the value.

Again, it's entirely up to yourself, but the car market is on it's knee's waiting for cash buyers. Now may be the time to get a good deal.

Just been doing some thinking on this one...

If the engine ECU and the immobiliser are ok, it should be easier to figure out why the engine is not kicking in.

Its much more difficult to diagnose / fix subtle electrical problems, like a misfire that only happens every so often...

A non runner will typically be a bit easier to figure out... The mechanics mantra "fuel, Air, spark"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sounds remarkably like the problems my missus had with her '97 Megane a couple of years ago, as it turned out the car was just an absolute steaming pile of crap.

Not what you want to hear OP, but c'est la vie for Renaults and we'll never buy another so long as we live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Sound like your mechanic isn't up to resolving this issue for you... Your attack on mechanics sounds baseless to me, first of all, lads that work in exhaust quick fit outlets are usually not mechanics.

If the car was running fine and then had a coil pack replaced and then there is a problem with running/starting, that was not previously there, then logic would suggest that the problem is either:

(1) A defective replacement coil pack.

(2) The harness or connector that plugs into the coil pack is now damaged and is not connecting properly to the coil pack.

(3) The coil pack is not properly earthed. Make sure the coil pack is bolted in properly to the top of the engine.

Advertisement