Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic Car

Options
  • 14-10-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    Just a quick question... Im buying a new car this week - ive picked out a lovely BMW but its automatic (Automatic, tiptronic & Sports gearbox)...

apart from the adjustment to driving without a clutch are there any big differences or problems associated with an automatic?
    Is it harder on petrol?
    Is it more likely to break down?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks a mill
    Emma
    :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

emma6606 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    Just a quick question... Im buying a new car this week - ive picked out a lovely BMW but its automatic (Automatic, tiptronic & Sports gearbox)...

apart from the adjustment to driving without a clutch are there any big differences or problems associated with an automatic?
    Is it harder on petrol?

Thanks a mill
    Emma

I will be a bit harder on petrol, but if you do alot of city or M50 rushhour driving, then id rather have an auto.

also, its better for the car, to put it in neutral when your stopped at lights etc (with foot on brake or handbrake on)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i had an auto for a year and my next car will be auto too.
    with traffic the way it is, auto is king.

i like the BMW auto box too.

what version of car did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

emma6606 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Is it harder on petrol?

Thanks a mill
    Emma

Congrats on your new car (new, new ?) !

Auto: a small bit more juice, but not much. And no, no more likely to break down.

Aside from that you'll find them infinately more stress-free to drive, esp in traffic, and you'll find yourself less likely to speed, too = less chance to get points !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

Auto all the way.....
    At the end of your first journey in busy traffic, you'll wonder why you never got one before now.......
    A little heavier on juice..... a lot less stressful to drive....
    Best of luck......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You won't know yourself, I changed to an auto BMW a few months and would find it very hard to go back to a manual. The ease of use in traffic makes up for any extra MPG it might use up.

Tiptronic isn't really worth using though as the gear changes are too slow. Sport mode + kickdown will do the trick though!

I genuinely don't understand the reluctance on this side of the ocean to using automatics.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Well in fairness the newish Co2 laws here are doing autos no favours..
    520d msport cheaper than 520d se auto, which of the two is the more stand out car?:(

alpina wrote: »
    Well in fairness the newish Co2 laws here are doing autos no favours..:(

It goes back much further than the VRT changes, it's all to do with this idea that autos can't be fun to drive I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

true having to pay approx. 5k for the auto option, no fun:):);)

Congratulations on making a very good decision, why oh why doesn't everyone own an automatic??

One thing, be nice to your oul accelerator, I put my foot down alot (although not now with 8cent on every feckin litre) but if you drive it too hard too often, your clutch can suffer, and if that goes, your talking alot of pennies and heartache to get it replaced. But you'd want to really be driving the sh*t out of it all day every day for that to happen!

You'll never want to drive a manual again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

One thing, be nice to your oul accelerator, I put my foot down alot (although not now with 8cent on every feckin litre) but if you drive it too hard too often, your clutch can suffer.

How would a clutch go in an automatic?
    Does the new BMW autos use a clutch? :confused:

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    How would a clutch go in an automatic?
    Does the new BMW autos use a clutch? :confused:

well the clutch is what makes the car change gears soooooo, I guess so?

The term automatic refers to the automatic clutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

wow. 10 posts and not one "expert" telling the op that autos are crap and you cant sell them on. are people in this country finally seeing the light.,

Most automatic use a torque converter not a clutch mechanism with different gears. However it could use a system with a clutch like Volkswagens DSG.
    I don't know so if you could fill me in that would be super.

ROFLMAO x 100

nah just getting lazier :p

nah just getting lazier :p

So why give advice on an automatic transmition when you have no idea what it is?

Most automatic use a torque converter not a clutch mechanism with different gears. However it could use a system with a clutch like Volkswagens DSG.
    I don't know so if you could fill me in that would be super.

I cannee fill you in cos I don't know!

I always thought the torque converter was the clutch :rolleyes:, i'm just a girl tho so what would I know!!!

helpful article maybe?
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/automatic-transmission-problems.html

So why give advice on an automatic transmition when you have no idea what it is?

ya big fat meany, did your mom never tell you to be nice to girls.

I drive an automatic, so em, I have had a good lot of experience with them - you don't have to be an expert to give some advice - or do you?? maybe I missed that in the rules?

I cannee fill you in cos I don't know!

I always thought the torque converter was the clutch :rolleyes:, i'm just a girl tho so what would I know!!!

helpful article maybe?
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/automatic-transmission-problems.html

A basic understanding of what you are talking about is advised when giving advice.
    Your mom sounds sexist, mine wasn't.
    No a clutch is used to engage and disengae the transmition, this is needed in a manual gear box system. When a torque converter is used there is no need for a clutch.
    As for the link, of course autos can give trouble but so can manuals.
    I am unsure of which is the most reliable system as I know very little about cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭AirsoftEire.com

Automatic all the way, i got my BMW 728 in May and have never looked back. Driving is a doddle, reversing is a doddle, idling in traffic is a doddle.

If you're sitting on a flat at the lights, stick it in neutral and you don't even need to brake, even though you probably should is someone slammed into you from behind. If you're on a hill, do the same but stick the parking brake on.

Only use Park when you're going to stop the car and turn off the engine. Transmission fluid only needs changing (well on mine) on 100,000 miles +.

Autos change gears better than you ever could so don't worry about wear. Good choice!

• Advertisement

A basic understanding of what you are talking about is advised when giving advice.
    Your mom sounds sexist, mine wasn't.
    No a clutch is used to engage and disengae the transmition, this is needed in a manual gear box system. When a torque converter is used there is no need for a clutch.
    As for the link, of course autos can give trouble but so can manuals.
    I am unsure of which is the most reliable system as I know very little about cars.

The OP asked for some advice on potential problems, hence the article would be very helpful me thinks! I'm sure I could find an article about problems with manuals but she's not looking for that is she?

and thank you tuxy for clearing up my auto issue, actually it is my mechanic who had me on the wrong track as he is the one always telling me to stop driving my car so hard as i'll end up needing a new clutch, so, sorry for making a mistake, i hope I didn't upset you too much :p

I think you should probably get some sleep - you sound a bit cranky!

If you're sitting on a flat at the lights, stick it in neutral and you don't even need to brake, even though you probably should is someone slammed into you from behind. If you're on a hill, do the same but stick the parking brake on.

Or just leave it in D and keep your foot on the brake.

I think you should probably get some sleep - you sound a bit cranky!

Nice edit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Just on people saying Autos are better etc, IMO top end auto's are fantastic but the likes of corolla, yaris, almera etc autos are awful. I drove an almera auto on a short spin and the gearchange was terrible and made for a very uncomfortable drive.

Driving an E-Class or a VW DSG is an absolute pleasure though

Onkle wrote: »
    I drove an almera auto on a short spin and the gearchange was terrible and made for a very comfortable drive.
    Almers may have the ultimate in comfortable driveing but I would still rather something better than an Opel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Congrats on the new car OP.What kind of bmw is it?

Sorry for going off topic, but what would be a good auto car for around €1000, diesel prefered.

I have been driving manual for the last 5 years and would like to try out an auto.A friend of my fathers has a Rover 75 auto diesel with bmw engine and I am going to try it out on the weekend.He says they are the car to go for cheap, solid build, hell of a car for 7 or 8k if you get from the uk.At 23 I am a bit too young for a rover though, I want something a little sportier.

What would yee recommend?

2005 FORD MONDEO 2.0TDCi 130 LX 5dr Auto Diesel Hatchback £3195

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=&min_pr=2000&source=0&model=&max_pr=5000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=55&ukcarsearch_full.y=14&start=7&distance=140&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200842320901621

2006 BMW 5 SERIES 525d 4dr Auto Diesel Saloon £4600

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=&min_pr=2000&source=0&model=&max_pr=5000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=55&ukcarsearch_full.y=14&start=2&distance=199&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200842320939212

2005 05 Reg Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 136 SE £5000

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=PEUGEOT&min_pr=4000&source=0&model=ANY&max_pr=6000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=32&ukcarsearch_full.y=14&start=5&distance=160&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200841320795927

2005 05 Reg SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector £5995

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=SAAB&min_pr=4000&source=0&model=ANY&max_pr=6000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=62&ukcarsearch_full.y=11&start=7&distance=10&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200841320686716

2005 54 Reg AUDI A4 1.9 TDi 130 Tip £5995

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=AUDI&min_pr=4000&source=0&model=ANY&max_pr=6000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=63&ukcarsearch_full.y=4&start=2&distance=158&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200842321033487

Im coming up from a 98 Corrola 1.4 petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There is no need to stick the car in to neutral while driving an auto, it kind of defeats the purpose. They are designed to be left in Drive for the duration of a journey, unless other special gear selections are needed of course. Changing from drive to neutral puts unecessary wear on the gear box

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭AirsoftEire.com

Sitting at traffic lights with a 2 tonne car in drive with your foot on the brake is an awful idea. Puts wear on the pads and strain on the brake hydrolics, calipers and rotors. Moving the shifter one notch from Drive to Neutral is a much better option.

tony, you are never too young for a class motor like a 75.
    as for sportiness, the autos have a switchable sport mode. much better than that tiptronic rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Onkle wrote: »
    Driving an E-Class or a VW DSG is an absolute pleasure though

DSG has far more in common with a proper gearbox than a gearbox for those too lazy to use their left foot:)!

Buy a car with a proper gearbox, buy a manual!

Advertisement