Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic Car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sitting at traffic lights with a 2 tonne car in drive with your foot on the brake is an awful idea. Puts wear on the pads and strain on the brake hydrolics, calipers and rotors. Moving the shifter one notch from Drive to Neutral is a much better option.
    Eh, how can the pads wear when the car's not moving? And guess what, all other brake components are designed to take many times more strain than that required to stop the car from creeping. Automatic means just that, leave it in D unless the wait will be a long one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

E92 wrote: »
    DSG has far more in common with a proper gearbox than a gearbox for those too lazy to use their left foot:)!

Buy a car with a proper gearbox, buy a manual!

Ah, let's think about for a while........

Er, NO. !!

A manual gearbox exists purely because they invented first. Climb on/under an 1899 Benz, or Model T, and you'll see why - it was simply beyond their capabilities.

I have an old automatic, and a manual version of, the same car. 99% of the time, I take the auto over the manual. It's smoother, easier, nicer, more comfortable. More civilised. Sure, it uses more juice, but in performance terms it's with in 3 or 4 mph at Vmax (155mph...) and acceleration to 60 mph is a fraction of a second slower, so I'm not buying any of that 'real gearbox' rubbish. Being a tiptronic, it does work as a manual, and very well, too. Being a 15yr old 4-speed, it's amazing, and modern ones, of any type, are infinately better.

And that means better than manuals too - which are still carrying around that Model T technology.....:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

OP I have a BMW manual & a BMW auto, the auto is my preferred choice. It's a nice smooth gear change. I was not a huge fan of autos until I got my current car. It's a pleasure to drive, a bit heavier on juice but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emma6606

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for all your advice :)
    Its a BMW 318i (1.9L) 2000 and has really low mileage...
    I got the loan from the bank and am going up to sign for it tomorrow but im a bit concerned about the increase in petrol prices :D
    Its a beauty though!

Emma

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

It really depends on the type of automatic, I had a look at the BMW site and there are two types of automatics available, OP you mentioned the sport version which looks like the second type of automatic which is 6 speed and has shifter paddles. Unfortunately BMW's site does not describe what type of automatics they use.

I have driven automatics from 80's Ford Granada's to modern Merc S-Class, the modern automatics are so much better and the "DSG" type used by the VAG group are excellent I believe Mercedes and BMW also use this type of automatic, which is really a dual clutch system with gearbox rather then the torque converter type.

Automatics are a pleasure to drive, unfortunately I don't' have one myself at the moment but my next car will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Congrats on the new car OP.What kind of bmw is it?

Sorry for going off topic, but what would be a good auto car for around €1000, diesel prefered.

I have been driving manual for the last 5 years and would like to try out an auto.A friend of my fathers has a Rover 75 auto diesel with bmw engine and I am going to try it out on the weekend.He says they are the car to go for cheap, solid build, hell of a car for 7 or 8k if you get from the uk.At 23 I am a bit too young for a rover though, I want something a little sportier.

What would yee recommend?

2005 FORD MONDEO 2.0TDCi 130 LX 5dr Auto Diesel Hatchback £3195

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=&min_pr=2000&source=0&model=&max_pr=5000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=55&ukcarsearch_full.y=14&start=7&distance=140&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200842320901621

2006 BMW 5 SERIES 525d 4dr Auto Diesel Saloon £4600

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=&min_pr=2000&source=0&model=&max_pr=5000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=55&ukcarsearch_full.y=14&start=2&distance=199&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200842320939212

2005 05 Reg Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 136 SE £5000

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=PEUGEOT&min_pr=4000&source=0&model=ANY&max_pr=6000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=32&ukcarsearch_full.y=14&start=5&distance=160&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200841320795927

2005 05 Reg SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD Vector £5995

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=SAAB&min_pr=4000&source=0&model=ANY&max_pr=6000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=62&ukcarsearch_full.y=11&start=7&distance=10&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200841320686716

2005 54 Reg AUDI A4 1.9 TDi 130 Tip £5995

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=AUDI&min_pr=4000&source=0&model=ANY&max_pr=6000&miles=1500&agerange=5&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=2&colour=&transmissionid=2&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=63&ukcarsearch_full.y=4&start=2&distance=158&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200842321033487

Im coming up from a 98 Corrola 1.4 petrol.

Tony the BMW in that link is a scam.

Good choice op, will probably move to an auto next myself, drove one for a few years about 10 years ago and they are handy to have in city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Sitting at traffic lights with a 2 tonne car in drive with your foot on the brake is an awful idea. Puts wear on the pads and strain on the brake hydrolics, calipers and rotors. Moving the shifter one notch from Drive to Neutral is a much better option.

In most auto cars, repeatedly putting it in neutral is not recommended - it wears the gear box. Torque converters have liquid coupling, auto gear boxes uses planetary gears that stop rather than move and are designed to be engaged while vehicle is stationary. Read the section in the owners manual to confirm.

The tiny amount of strain on the brake is negligible, and brake pads are much cheaper to replace that the gear box/torque converter.
    If you are stopped a lights for an extended period, you should leave it in drive and put the parking (hand) brake on but NOT release the pedal brake. This will stop you jumping forward if your foot slips off the pedal brake (e.g. if you get rear-ended), but will not strain the parking brake.

OP, I have never met anyone moving from manual to automatic who had a problem - most prefer it. Drive the car, see if you like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Unlike most people here it seems, I'm not a lazy old sod who thinks using their left foot to press in a pedal is "slave labour":rolleyes::rolleyes:!

And the OP is looking at a 1.9 litre 3 series, a car that's horrendously underpowered with a proper gearbox, and is no doubt even slower with a "I find using my left foot and hand too much of a pain" lazymatic box, but that apparently is a "good choice" in a car that's supposed to be an "ultimate driving machine".

I drove an E39 520i with an Auto(apparently BMW autos are one of the best around) recently because I'm itching to change my car(already:D) and an E34 520i with an auto and I was horrified by how much slower they are than the manual counterparts, and as anyone who has driven a 520i will tell you, the manuals are not fast at all and need to be worked very hard to deliver decent performance(though that's part of the appeal - getting to hear that silky smooth delightful sounding straight 6 more often:p). They use more fuel and they rob the driver of driving pleasure, which is the whole point of a Beemer.

OTOH the VAG DSG box is terriffic with those freaksihly quick gearchanges, but then again as it is largely based on a proper manual gearbox it is harldy surprising. It is good to the point I don't know whether I'd want it over a proper box or not, I can't make up my mind:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Furp wrote: »
    It really depends on the type of automatic, I had a look at the BMW site and there are two types of automatics available, OP you mentioned the sport version which looks like the second type of automatic which is 6 speed and has shifter paddles. Unfortunately BMW's site does not describe what type of automatics they use.

I think that might be the SMG gearbox, rather than the standard 5 speed auto 'box with sport mode.
    Unlike most people here it seems, I'm not a lazy old sod who thinks using their left foot to press in a pedal is "slave labour"

Rolleyes indeed. We all know you're an enthusiast and all that (thank Christ it's not a diesel we're talking about), but driving an automatic is much more relaxing. That's enough for most people, and I will take the convenience of it any day over the perceived enjoyment of a manual.

I might be losing a second off 0-60 or whatever because of it, but the pleasure it is to drive far outweighs that.

I do agree that the 318 is underpowered, but some people just want a nice looking car that's comfortable to drive. No offence, but sometimes I think you should remove your enthusiast's hat, and think about what your every day person might want.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

with a proper gearbox than a gearbox for those too lazy to use their left foot:)!

Don't get stuck in the past, old man. Next thing you'd tell us is that synchromesh was the invention of the devil? :p;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

@ OP - congrats on your new car.

as many have said already, auto is the way forward. I have previously owned a Honda Accord auto, also with tiptronic. I have always thought tiptronic mostly to be an unneccessary gadget. You might play with it for 5minutes, then just leave it in D and away you go.
    I currently drive an old Merc, again an auto box.

Having scanned through the posts on this thread, and i hope i'm not being presumptious when i say this but i didn't see anyone post it, but learn to forget about your left leg when driving an auto. It is a normal reaction coming from a manual to an auto, to use your left leg for braking.

Happy motoring

tc20 wrote: »
    Having scanned through the posts on this thread, and i hope i'm not being presumptious when i say this but i didn't see anyone post it, but learn to forget about your left leg when driving an auto. It is a normal reaction coming from a manual to an auto, to use your left leg for braking.

I actually found it very easy to switch over - maybe a day or two of consciously planting my left foot to the far left of the foot well. On the other hand, it did take me a few moments to figure out why I kept stalling my wife's manual car a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote: »
    Don't get stuck in the past, old man. Next thing you'd tell us is that synchromesh was the invention of the devil? :p;)

Give me just a little bit of credit - I like DSG type boxes to the point I can't make up my mind whether I'd want one over a manual box or not:).

DSG is the future of gearboxes in non hybrid cars anyway, with elements that please both people who like proper boxes and those who like automatic gearboxes.

@eoin_s: suffice to say I don't agree about them being more pleasurable. They're slower and they use more fuel. That reduces pleasure to me, I don't really see how it can do otherwise. Yes it's more relaxing but so is sitting in the passenger's seat. If I'm in the driver's seat then I want to do the driving, not the car doing the driving for me. And basically driving slush boxes feel like that.

I have no problem with people wanting automatic gearboxes. But i really don't think advising someone to go for a 118 bhp petrol with a slush box is a good idea, after all as auto box fans will tell you, you need a big and/or diesel engine for them to be really good, not an underpowered 1.9 petrol.

Don't get me wrong, the E46 is a great car, but getting a 4 cylinder model AND a manual gearbox is removing the E46's entire raison d'etre IMO.

@eoin_s: suffice to say I don't agree about them being more pleasurable. They're slower and they use more fuel. That reduces pleasure to me, I don't really see how it can do otherwise. Yes it's more relaxing but so is sitting in the passenger's seat. If I'm in the driver's seat then I want to do the driving, not the car doing the driving for me. And basically driving slush boxes feel like that.

It reduces pleasure for people who want to "really drive" the car. Having a relaxing drive from A to B is what counts for other people - how can people not get that?

As I said, having a relaxing drive in traffic and sport mode when I want it, more than makes up for any perceived lack of involvement in the driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

....And the OP is looking at a 1.9 litre 3 series, a car that's horrendously underpowered with a proper gearbox, and is no doubt even slower with a "I find using my left foot and hand too much of a pain" lazymatic box....

I normally agree with most of what you say on here, however its not always about power for most people. I don't think this engine gearbox combo would be less gutless than a 1.4L Ford Focus or similar. In order for BMW to survive & be in position to manufacture the cars that enthusiasts wan to drive it must support that by building cars like the 1.9L auto 3 series. Maybe not the ultimate driving machine but I'd still argue that it is a bit better than your Focus/Corolla/etc.

Advertisement