Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

problem with 318is

Options
  • 14-10-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

hey
    a friend in work has a 97` 318is,and its decided to start giving trouble (again!) was fine until last friday,then saturday morning it wouldnt start,it just keeps clicking when he`s trying to start it,today it took about 5 turns of the key before it started,he thinks its the starter motor but surely it wouldnt be starting at all if that was gone??,he said the battery is fine but im not sure what he is basing this on! car has just over 130k miles
    cheers!
    (the word START has lost all meaning!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

sounds like the solenoid sticking on the starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭drver1

Starter is stuck, if you give it a bang with something it normally works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

problem is still happening,(the only mechanic he trusts is on hols!)
    but now the central locking is gettin slow, it takes a few seconds for the car to open up when it should be almost instant,could this be the battery? and if the starter motor is sticking will this just get worse??
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sounds like the battery to me. Who is the mechanic, Stephen Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

not sure of his name tbh,just know its a small garage on the northside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Sounds like the battery to me, twould be the first thing i'd get looked at if I was in his shoes.. What about headlights and wipers and the like? Are they all working as they should without the engine running?

Advertisement