Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Fixed that for you there. I presume that's the tone you were going for.

foreign national feckers should piss off back home

does that sound better

JP Liz wrote: »
    foreign national feckers should piss off back home

does that sound better

You're on the wrong message board, you will be more than welcome <SNIP>

a taxi driver on radio said he picked up 3 lithuanians from airport who collected their dole payments and he took them back to the airport again for their flight back

Can you claim payments in different countries :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

a taxi driver on radio said he picked up 3 lithuanians from airport who collected their dole payments and he took them back to the airport again for their flight back

Can you claim payments in different countries :confused:

That's cool, Taxi drivers need their fares in these tough times and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I met a guy who used to live beside me today in the post office. Hes from Poland and moved home about 6 months ago. He told me he was here with his wife for the day.

Now the best bit. They were signing on collecting their money. I was shocked and it showed and he explained it to me.

They have 3 children and are saying they are living with his brother who still lives here. They went home to Poland and he has a job there. This was his last time signing on but his wife is going to sign on saying she was left in Ireland with the kids. She'll just come over here for the day whenever she needs to sign on on the cheap flights. Even if this is once a week (and im sure its less often than that) it will pay her to do it. And childrens allowance etc too.

Still seeing my shocked face he said that he knows lots of people doing the very same thing, that it was normal.

Unbelievable.

It's just great to know that most of us are getting up every morning to face hrs of traffic and stress, all to pay for this crap!

I am not the least bit surprised and appalud the foreigners for
    having the balls to get away with it. We're the ****ing eejits paying
    for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

If this true, I'm extremely pissed off, not just cause of the money we're losing, but it gives the anti-immigration folks more vitriol to throw at honest immigrants coming here to work.

It's a fcuking joke, it really is.

Acacia wrote: »
    If this true, I'm extremely pissed off, not just cause of the money we're losing, but it gives the anti-immigration folks more vitriol to throw at honest immigrants coming here to work.

It's a fcuking joke, it really is.

It is true and it's only scratching at the surface!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Rabble rabble rabble!

If you heard it from a taxi driver it must be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If anyone wants some magic beans PM me.

MarkR wrote: »
    Rabble rabble rabble!

If you heard it from a taxi driver it must be true!

So, the alternative is that it's not happening?:rolleyes:

It is happening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Report them, if it's reported it might encourage an investigation into this kinda of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MrsJohnMurphy

All forms of benefit fraud should be cracked down upon, be it irish people living in Spainish apartments flying home to sign on, or non-Irish flying in here to sign on or people coming over on the ferry to sign on here while signing on in the uk, or non-Irish having kids here and then sending back overseas to be raised by the grand parents while they continue working here and collect the childrens allowance.

Simple methods like people having to sign on at different random days every week or more advanced stuff like biometrics or airport logging should be employed to stop anyone fiddling the system.

mjm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

walshb wrote: »
    So, the alternative is that it's not happening?:rolleyes:

It is happening!
    Lol, if you were going to fly to Dublin to sign on, why would you waste 50% of your free dole money on the taxi fare to and from the airport?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking

"Critical thinking is purposeful and reflective judgment about what to believe or do in response to observations, experience, verbal or written expressions, or arguments."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Like most sensible posters, I think that the OP should report this welfare abuse now.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    So she's flying over and back from Poland every week to collect her dole in the post office? Fair play to her - our airlines need all the help they can get these days.
    The purpose of our social welfare system is not to subsidise Ryanair.
    walshb wrote: »
    It's just great to know that most of us are getting up every morning to face hrs of traffic and stress, all to pay for this crap!

I am not the least bit surprised and appalud the foreigners for
    having the balls to get away with it. We're the ****ing eejits paying
    for it!

I'm sick of this 'bank robber' attitude that anyone who makes money is to be applauded, no matter how they do it. This just wrong, and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

23 pages of abusing the polish. I love it!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Sorry folks to reck your party But you have to sign on every week at the post office and the people who are ripping off theis country are wearing suits doing it! The F"ucking B(W)ankers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So shocked you reported him?

I say fair ****s to them, if i could get free money i'd take it
    KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I met a guy who used to live beside me today in the post office. Hes from Poland and moved home about 6 months ago. He told me he was here with his wife for the day.

Now the best bit. They were signing on collecting their money. I was shocked and it showed and he explained it to me.

They have 3 children and are saying they are living with his brother who still lives here. They went home to Poland and he has a job there. This was his last time signing on but his wife is going to sign on saying she was left in Ireland with the kids. She'll just come over here for the day whenever she needs to sign on on the cheap flights. Even if this is once a week (and im sure its less often than that) it will pay her to do it. And childrens allowance etc too.

Still seeing my shocked face he said that he knows lots of people doing the very same thing, that it was normal.

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

The fraud rate for Irish collecting dole payments is 7% and the fraud rate for non-nationals collecting dole payments is 14%. So yes, non-nationals do commit more fraud than native Irish citizens. I cannot stand this PC brigade nonsense that suggest that anybody who even mentions the world Polish or Romanians is a racist. People are allowed discuss topics.

However, the above statistic means that the vast majority of people, non-nationals and us hairy natives, are decent, hardworking people who don't commit fraud. The battle is between fraudsters and non-fraudsters, not between Irish and people who happen not to be born here. Everybody I know who is committing dole/welfare fraud is Irish so anecdotally, to me, the Irish are law breaking scroungers. But of course that isn't true.

Where there is a weakness in a system, people will exploit it. Where it easier for non-nationals to exploit it than Irish citizens, the percentage will be higher. Where the opposite is true, Irish people will be the worst offenders. It's human nature, not bleedin' foridner nature.

How many of you know somebody in Australia working for cash? Or defrauding the working holiday system to get a 2nd year there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The fraud rate for Irish collecting dole payments is 7% and the fraud rate for non-nationals collecting dole payments is 14%.
    Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Right so, I just checked Ryanair. Since dole is generally dished out on a Wednesday and you have to collect it from a post office, I booked an inward flight from Prague to Dublin on the 18th. Only thing is inward lands at 12pm and outward leaves at 10am. So, seeing as my flux capacitor is currently running low on juice, I had to book an outbound flight the following day, Thursday. Oops, that's full, so Friday it is.

Luckily these flights only cost me 187.40. Now I need someplace to sleep for two days, and food to eat. But lets assume I can sleep in St Stephens Green and cook a swan that will last 2 nights. Sorted.

Hmm, what about a taxi fare? I suppose I could walk from the airport into the designated post office... I hope I specified one close to the airport when I signed on or I'll be walking all day. No matter, I have 2 days to kill until my outbound flight anyway, so walking all day and only making the post office the following morning is hardly an issue.

So, how smart am I! I've ripped off the Irish government to the tune of 205 Euro this week, and made a tidy profit of 17.60 Euro. Bully for me. That's 915.00 Euro per year I'll be earning, pity I have to waste 3 days a week traveling to get it.

Ah well.

gcgirl wrote: »
    Sorry folks to reck your party But you have to sign on every week at the post office and the people who are ripping off theis country are wearing suits doing it! The F"ucking B(W)ankers!

you sign once a month in the dole office

you can collect your dole payment weekly, fortnightly or monthly or have it paid directly into your bank account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Aliens, obviously. Pffft some people are just not with it.

you sign once a month in the dole office

You sign on once a month at the dole office if you live <10Km's from it. Less frequently if you live >10Km's from it.
    you can collect your dole payment weekly, fortnightly or monthly or have it paid directly into your bank account

You can collect it weekly, only from a designated post office. You cannot collect fortnightly (well, you can once, as you are allowed 2 weeks holiday during a single year) and they stopped allowing it to be put into your bank account ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Report the scum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Mena wrote: »
    Right so, I just checked Ryanair. Since dole is generally dished out on a Wednesday and you have to collect it from a post office, I booked an inward flight from Prague to Dublin on the 18th. Only thing is inward lands at 12pm and outward leaves at 10am. So, seeing as my flux capacitor is currently running low on juice, I had to book an outbound flight the following day, Thursday. Oops, that's full, so Friday it is.

Luckily these flights only cost me 187.40. Now I need someplace to sleep for two days, and food to eat. But lets assume I can sleep in St Stephens Green and cook a swan that will last 2 nights. Sorted.

Hmm, what about a taxi fare? I suppose I could walk from the airport into the designated post office... I hope I specified one close to the airport when I signed on or I'll be walking all day. No matter, I have 2 days to kill until my outbound flight anyway, so walking all day and only making the post office the following morning is hardly an issue.

So, how smart am I! I've ripped off the Irish government to the tune of 205 Euro this week, and made a tidy profit of 17.60 Euro. Bully for me. That's 915.00 Euro per year I'll be earning, pity I have to waste 3 days a week traveling to get it.

Ah well.

I did a quick Ryanair search from Krakow to Dublin and return a couple of months in advance and it's only €70 all in return, get the aircoach or your mates to pick you up and it's a very cheap round trip. That €130 or so (plus any extras that they may be 'entitled' to) goes a long way in Poland.

you would be very naive to think it's not going on at all!

Victor_M wrote: »
    I did a quick Ryanair search from Krakow to Dublin and return a couple of months in advance and it's only €70 all in return, get the aircoach or your mates to pick you up and it's a very cheap round trip. That €130 or so (plus any extras that they may be 'entitled' to) goes a long way in Poland.

you would be very naive to think it's not going on at all!

But you need to collect weekly. So you're going to book all 12 months in advance in order to make 130 a week? What's that? Around 3.5k up front?

I never said it doesn't happen, but I would say it's pretty rare, especially now that you cannot have the money paid into your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Mena wrote: »
    But you need to collect weekly. So you're going to book all 12 months in advance in order to make 130 a week? What's that? Around 3.5k up front?

I never said it doesn't happen, but I would say it's pretty rare, especially now that you cannot have the money paid into your account.

It's not a huge amount to us, but as i said it goes a long way in other countries, particularly if you add it to a state handout in another jurisdiction.

Can you imagine how many people are getting the ferry over from the UK or the train from the North and doing the same.

Plus they only stopped the automatically bank lodgements and once a month singing on recently enough,I wonder how rampant the abuse was before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

They be taking our jobs...

*cue big angry mob full of hick culchies*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

They be taking our jobs...

*cue big angry mob full of hick culchies*

Don't the urbanites get angry too?

Advertisement