Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Mena wrote: »
    But you need to collect weekly. So you're going to book all 12 months in advance in order to make 130 a week? What's that? Around 3.5k up front?

I never said it doesn't happen, but I would say it's pretty rare, especially now that you cannot have the money paid into your account.

No you don't need to collect weekly, you can get paid into your bank account. So it pays to spend 200 a month to get 830...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Don't the urbanites get angry too?

Touche...:P
    That was a tad unnecessary bashing of culchies, my unreserved apologies... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Touche...:P
    That was a tad unnecessary bashing of culchies, my unreserved apologies... :o

This hick culchie accepts your apology. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jan_kowalski

I think it's another urban legend, I never heard about any Poles who would flight here from Poland to sign the dole and take the money.
    Even if this was the truth ( I hardly can imagine it, costs of plane, transport, food, time, etc.), it wouldn't be even 1% of all Polish job-seekers I think, this would have to be some marginal procedure.
    You'll always have some scumbags in any society won't you.

But when you look at it from the other end, it's not that bad either.
    If they stayed in Ireland, they will be still taking same money, won't they?
    So what's the difference for you then?
    Money, same money, will be taken from the state anyways...

In case they fly over here to get their money, that means at least there will be less Poles here, so less competition for you and finally less foreigners to take your jobs! :)
    Am I right?
    So you should be happy with that then, not complaining.

What's your point after all then, can you enlight me ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

where does this 'damn furriners eatin our swans' thing come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'm wagering it came from the Indo. Or possibly the Sindo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jan_kowalski

Think that was in early 2008 in England in Bedfordshire.
    There was some camp packed with Polish and Lithuanian scumbags, don't even how did they manage into UK, most likely in some HGV like Mexicans do across into USA.
    Low brained bunch of manual labourers with no spoken word in english exploited by whoever dragged them over there with under minimum wage payments like 3 pounds an hour.
    Think they caught some swans for food and then all the media blew it to the all 1st newspaper pages and TV coverage.
    This comes around quite often now as referred joke among Polish community, however, every single Pole with any brains condemns what happened over there.

Swans are protected animals in Poland too and nobody eats them lol :)
    That had to be some complete scumbags to do so, providing this was all truth.

On the other hand, to all Irish who might be picking on all Poles with that bit too seriously, why don't you consider your own country mates who fed swan with fireworks pushed into pieces of bread in St. Stevens Greens, couple months ago?

Was that any better to cause horrific injuries to the poor bird's beak and throat and left it in agonal condition overnight than eat it?
    Was it any better, more righteous?

Think scumbags are everywhere, no nationatlity matters...
    Get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Victor_M wrote: »
    It's not a huge amount to us, but as i said it goes a long way in other countries, particularly if you add it to a state handout in another jurisdiction.

Yes it does, but the math still does not work out.
    Can you imagine how many people are getting the ferry over from the UK or the train from the North and doing the same.

Let's stick to the thread here, "Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole".
    Plus they only stopped the automatically bank lodgements and once a month singing on recently enough,I wonder how rampant the abuse was before that?

I have no idea how bad it was, I haven't seen any figures.
    No you don't need to collect weekly, you can get paid into your bank account. So it pays to spend 200 a month to get 830...

Getting tired of this. Check your facts before you post as I really cannot be bothered dealing with ignorance. You cannot have Jobseekers Benefit paid into a bank account. Your only option is to collect in weekly from the post office. After 6 months of collecting, you are allowed to have it directed to your bank account.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2008/Pages/pr210708.aspx
    People signing on the Live Register from now on will have to collect their weekly benefit payment at a post office instead of it being paid automatically to their bank account. This, the Minister for Social and Family Affairs Mary Hanafin T.D., said is in an effort to reduce the likelihood of people claiming benefits while not being resident in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I met a guy who used to live beside me today in the post office. Hes from Poland and moved home about 6 months ago. He told me he was here with his wife for the day.

Now the best bit. They were signing on collecting their money. I was shocked and it showed and he explained it to me.

They have 3 children and are saying they are living with his brother who still lives here. They went home to Poland and he has a job there. This was his last time signing on but his wife is going to sign on saying she was left in Ireland with the kids. She'll just come over here for the day whenever she needs to sign on on the cheap flights. Even if this is once a week (and im sure its less often than that) it will pay her to do it. And childrens allowance etc too.

Still seeing my shocked face he said that he knows lots of people doing the very same thing, that it was normal.

Unbelievable.

All that is needed is a couple of guys at the airport, sitting on a laptop connected to the DSW computer punching in names and dates of Birth targeting pax leaving and arriving on eastern european flights to see if they are on the live dole register. Another couple of guys matching pax manifesto names for the past year with the live dole register and I gtee that a few quid would be saved by the DSW

Getting tired of this. Check your facts before you post as I really cannot be bothered dealing with ignorance. You cannot have Jobseekers Benefit paid into a bank account. Your only option is to collect in weekly from the post office. After 6 months of collecting, you are allowed to have it directed to your bank account.[/URL]

Oh realy, so explain why my bank account gets credited every week for the sum of 204.30 with the description of DSW-FUND? Is this an optical illusion? No. Oh and this was always the way. So I think you check your facts before you post, as I cannot be bothered dealing with ignorance.

Today's payday, wooohooo, drugs beer and cheap hookers for me...

• Advertisement

Oh realy, so explain why my bank account gets credited every week for the sum of 204.30 with the description of DSW-FUND? Is this an optical illusion? No. Oh and this was always the way. So I think you check your facts before you post, as I cannot be bothered dealing with ignorance.

Today's payday, wooohooo, drugs beer and cheap hookers for me...

Perhaps if you learned to absorb what you read it would help the discussion going forward. I link the press release again: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/Press.../pr210708.aspx

Here, I quote, for clarification and to assist the link impaired
    People signing on the Live Register from now on will have to collect their weekly benefit payment at a post office instead of it being paid automatically to their bank account. This, the Minister for Social and Family Affairs Mary Hanafin T.D., said is in an effort to reduce the likelihood of people claiming benefits while not being resident in Ireland.

I bolded the important bit. I Underlined the very important bit.

Let me know if you need additional clarification, specifically with the "from now on" bit, which has been known to confuse some people before.

Sarcasm aside, we seem to be talking passed each other. I am referring to the current state of affairs while you are presumably referring to how things were.

Didn't even bother reading the link... :) theethee...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

One possible solution could be to have people who sign on surrender their passports; If your on the dole then you cant spare money for a holiday. Should you need to travel you request your passport back and where your going and how long for is logged along with the circumstances of your travel and also who is funding the travel. Should you be seen to travel a lot while on the dole then you should be investigated if your scamming the dole from another country you will be caught if your not then you've nothing to worry about.

The above is just an idea, It may seem harsh to some but it is a solution.it would eliminate foreign dole scammers and should someone on the dole emigrate for work social welfare would know about it so should they try to claim dole here as well as work abroad they will be found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I know there are alot of the PC brigade here,but honestly with did the influx of Polish people do for Ireland?,please tell me?,we had a race of people that flocked over here in their droves,and their mission was to earn as much as they can and spend as little as they can here,how does that help us and our economy,it doesnt,the poles came here,they got jobs mainly in the building trade,and agreed to work for far less then the average Irish worker would work,not knowing their rights or not bothering with unions,the employers rubbing their hands with glee,therefore putting Irish tradesmen out of a job,and dumbing down the standards expected on building site around the country,and not just building sites,but in most areas of employmen................................................................................,in terms of their lifestyle(and Im not generalising saying all are like this,but Id imagine the majority are),living in the cheapest accomadation possible,even living on the sites were they work,spending as little as possible living on tins of peas and beans in lidl,and a personal observation I made,you never see them smile or have a good time,they are the most miserable mean people I have ever encoutered.................................................................................Like I know that they want to earn and save as much as they can to bring home to Poland,but come on,are they really that mean and miserly..............................................And now what do we have,thousands of people who came here to exploit a wealthy period in Irish history who are now getting out as quick as they can because the good times are over,with all the cash they took from our now flimsy ecomony with all the extra few bob they saved in Lild and Aldi,well at least theh helped build tons of ugly made by number apartment blocks in once spacious green areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Hagar wrote: »
    Aliens, obviously. Pffft some people are just not with it.

Er...10...ten ten ten ten...9 nine nine nine nine....

I was quoting the fraud rate, rate of fraudelent claims per hundred claims, expressed using a "percentage".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

CiaranC wrote: »
    Source?

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:qNSFcKLkqjQJ:www.cahill-printers.ie/Debates/Xml/30/DAL20080402.PDF

This is in relation to child benefit payments that says fraud by non-citizens is way above fraud by citizens. I can't find the statistic for dole payments at the minute.

Of course, ignore the substance of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    I know there are alot of the PC brigade here,but honestly with did the influx of Polish people do for Ireland?,please tell me?,we had a race of people that flocked over here in their droves,and their mission was to earn as much as they can and spend as little

'Poles numbered 1 to 150,000 - We have a mission for you....'
    as they can here,how does that help us and our economy,it doesnt,the poles came here,they got jobs mainly in the building trade,and agreed to work for far less then the average Irish worker would work,not knowing their rights or not bothering with unions,

The cheek of them, coming over here and getting exploited by the Irish like that.
    in terms of their lifestyle(and Im not generalising saying all are like this,but Id imagine the majority are),living in the cheapest accomadation possible,even living on the sites were they work,spending as little as possible living on tins of peas and beans in lidl,and a personal observation I made,you never see them smile or have a good time,they are the most miserable mean people I have ever encoutered.,

Dear o dear o dear.......With your clearly demonstrated ability to dig a hole for yourself there, I don't think anyone would employ a Pole ahead of you.

Nodin wrote: »
    'Poles numbered 1 to 150,000 - We have a mission for you....'

The cheek of them, coming over here and getting exploited by the Irish like that.

Dear o dear o dear.......With your clearly demonstrated ability to dig a hole for yourself there, I don't think anyone would employ a Pole ahead of you.

Oh what do we have here,an internet warrior whose only way to rebuttal is to be a smartarse,Ive had plenty of employers who had no problem employing me,Im sure your little cheeky comments have given you godlike stature on the web,but in reality Im sure your just a geek

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Are you planning on doing anything about it?

And yes, she will have to come once a week as you have to collect it in the post office yourself now.

What the f**k can he/she do about it. The lazy useless government know about it and dont do anything so what the f**k.

Makes me mad when i think about those scrounging bas***ds fleecing the countyr. ****ing w**kers

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Húrin wrote: »
    Like most sensible posters, I think that the OP should report this welfare abuse now.

The purpose of our social welfare system is not to subsidise Ryanair.

I'm sick of this 'bank robber' attitude that anyone who makes money is to be applauded, no matter how they do it. This just wrong, and you know it.

Mate, tongue in cheek I said this. I think it stinks; but we are the problem, not those exploiting it. We allow it. I am not comparing it to bank robbery. They are only
    doing it because we tolerate it and allow it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When did this thread come back from the dead?

Ah the memories I have of slagging off xenophobes on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    When did this thread come back from the dead?

Ah the memories I have of slagging off xenophobes on this one!

Middle of last October was when it started - Hardly back from the dead!

When you smugly say slagging off xenophobes, I presume you mean anyone that has an issue with people flying into the country for the day to claim social welfare, or is it only people who make blatant xenophobic comments?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I know there are alot of the PC brigade here,but honestly with did the influx of Polish people do for Ireland?,please tell me?,we had a race of people that flocked over here in their droves,and their mission was to earn as much as they can and spend as little as they can here,how does that help us and our economy,it doesnt,the poles came here,they got jobs mainly in the building trade,and agreed to work for far less then the average Irish worker would work,not knowing their rights or not bothering with unions,the employers rubbing their hands with glee,therefore putting Irish tradesmen out of a job,and dumbing down the standards expected on building site around the country,and not just building sites,but in most areas of employmen................................................................................,
    Prior to Polish labourers arriving, were Irish building sites the scene of lunchtime symposia on the works of Beckett? Bobcat ballet? The 1812 Overture as performed on pneumatic drills?

Robbo wrote: »
    Prior to Polish labourers arriving, were Irish building sites the scene of lunchtime symposia on the works of Beckett? Bobcat ballet? The 1812 Overture as performed on pneumatic drills?

No I believe they were manned by Irishmen who were paid a decent wage for their trouble,who did what they had to do and took no sh*t from employers trying to screw them over due to strong unionisation

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You sign on once a month at the dole office if you live <10Km's from it. Less frequently if you live >10Km's from it.

My geography isnt great but I think Poland is just outside the 10km range.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

No I believe they were manned by Irishmen who were paid a decent wage for their trouble,who did what they had to do and took no sh*t from employers trying to screw them over due to strong unionisation
    Perhaps some kind of "Irishness test" is needed on our remaining building sites? You must know at least 3 Wolfe Tones songs to enter (bonus points awarded for interjections of "Up the Ra") and have at least one relative who took part in the 1916 rising (guarding the hostage Custard Creams in Boland's biscuit factory or similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I know there are alot of the PC brigade here,but honestly with did the influx of Polish people do for Ireland?,please tell me?,we had a race of people that flocked over here in their droves,and their mission was to earn as much as they can and spend as little as they can here.....

Can you prove or back that statement up in any way? Are you saying every pole was like this? I know many folk in the polish community, as do many other boardsies who go out just as often as anyone else, who have taken out mortages etc. I work in retail and a very healthy portion of my customers are eastern european.
    they got jobs mainly in the building trade,and agreed to work for far less then the average Irish worker would work,not knowing their rights or not bothering with unions.....

Do you have figures for this? To say that the majority work in conctruction is just hilarious.
    Id imagine the majority are),living in the cheapest accomadation possible,even living on the sites were they work,spending as little as possible living on tins of peas and beans in lidl,and a personal observation I made,you never see them smile or have a good time,they are the most miserable mean people I have ever encoutered

I'm sure some are living cheaply but I have met many who live in nicer apartments than myself. Any I have socialised with live a high quality of life. I'm sure for insurance purposes living on a building site is a no-no.

And now what do we have,thousands of people who came here to exploit a wealthy period in Irish history who are now getting out as quick as they can because the good times are over,with all the cash they took from our now flimsy ecomony with all the extra few bob they saved in Lild and Aldi,well at least theh helped build tons of ugly made by number apartment blocks in once spacious green areas

Of the many I have met here only one couple I know are going back to Poland. Wasn't someone mentioning in a thread a while ago that there is still fairly high levels of immigration into the country rather than out of it?

Stekelly wrote: »
    My geography isnt great but I think Poland is just outside the 10km range.:)

Sign on = present yourself at the social welfare office and show them you're here and looking for a job. It has nothing to do with collecting the monies, which takes place weekly at a post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Chauncey_freak

I'm on the dole, and i don't understand why it's only once a month we have to present ourselves at the office. I want to be able to prove i'm not scamming the system i paid into for years, and that i'm genuinely looking for work.

Why not some kind of system of receipts? Rent, bills, even groceries - they should be kept and presented. Though there's probably ways to fake them too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When you smugly say slagging off xenophobes, I presume you mean anyone that has an issue with people flying into the country for the day to claim social welfare, or is it only people who make blatant xenophobic comments?

When you smugly presume I mean anyone that has an issue with people flying into the country for the day then you are smugly presuming in the wrong.

I smugly would like to point this out.

Advertisement