Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

Nodin wrote: »
    Ja!

Nicht ja.......Jawohl! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

mo dia - ye are giving me a migraine with the to anf fro - respect the opinions - all i have to say is both irish and foreign nationals take advantage of the system - though i will say foreign nationals generally do get more that irish for some reason - and before anyone gets the knickers in a twist i pay out social welfare payments so i know the amounts and i know the kind of payments being made - it is totally wrong - if people are entitled to welfare payments everyone for the same type of payments should be for the same amount but they are not - my father is on social welgare purely because he had a very bad work accident he worked for 49 years before this accident he gets the basic supplementary invalidity payments not intitled to the christmas bonus yet every single foreign national i paid received their payment in some cases it was for 10 times the weekly payment not the usual 2 times the payment - that is not fair no matter how you look at it -

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

watna wrote: »
    I send money home every month - but only to pay off a loan with an Irish bank so I'm not sure that counts.

What do you mean exactly by sending money home though - sending it to your family to help them out? If you were doing that it wouldn't get them very far. The NZD is worth so little when you convert to euros that they're wouldn't be any point sending to people.

I've a friend living in Australia at the moment.
    Like yourself, the only money he is sending home is loan repayments.

He's pulling in ~€7,000 (depending on the exchange rate) a month and I can tell you now that aside from the loan, that money stays in his pocket.

My cousin's son is over there too. He's just working and drinking like the majority of Irish there.

I'd imagine that some people are sending money home, but they would be few and far between. We may be going through a recession, but we're not poor by any means and certainly not in need of overseas support. The majority of us anyway.

Unless you have a huge mortgage, the dole is enough to survive on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Any one of you walk into your local community welfare officer tomorrow, tell them your being harrassed and intimidated on the bus, and you need the money for a car. You'll be laughed at. Get a foreigen national from an African state to do it and he'll come out with a cheque. It's disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Trinny. wrote: »
    Unless you have a huge mortgage, the dole is enough to survive on.

It is, but that is all you will do, survive. I couldn't see anyone hold a mortgage while on the dole...
    Any one of you walk into your local community welfare officer tomorrow, tell them your being harrassed and intimidated on the bus, and you need the money for a car. You'll be laughed at. Get a foreigen national from an African state to do it and he'll come out with a cheque. It's disgusting.

Think you are making an assumption there...

• Advertisement

Think you are making an assumption there...

I've worked in the HSE and my uncle is quiet high up in there. It's a fact. 2 years ago my family on the other side couldn't get a poxy €45 clothing allowance for my grandfathers new shoes, he was blind. The uncle couldn't do anything 'cos his he couldn't get involved but my Aunt that was looking after him chased it all the way and got nowhere. It's not an assumption trust me.

On a completely seperate point of view, I haven't seen a non national homeless guy yet and i'm baffled as to why they're all so bleedin cranky. I didn't drag you here in chains, stop going on like I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I've worked in the HSE and my uncle is quiet high up in there. It's a fact. 2 years ago my family on the other side couldn't get a poxy €45 clothing allowance for my grandfathers new shoes, he was blind. The uncle couldn't do anything 'cos his he couldn't get involved but my Aunt that was looking after him chased it all the way and got nowhere. It's not an assumption trust me.

On a completely seperate point of view, I haven't seen a non national homeless guy yet and i'm baffled as to why they're all so bleedin cranky. I didn't drag you here in chains, stop going on like I did.

Your grandad didn't get it, for a reason maybe, it's very harsh really. Not condoning the decision or anything.

Do you know of any foreign nationals getting extra benifits based on their nationality?

I have seen a lot of homeless foreigners. It is not an isolated problem. Foreign nationals are not immune to this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Are you planning on doing anything about it?

And yes, she will have to come once a week as you have to collect it in the post office yourself now.

No, anybody can pick it up, as all you need is a card with no picture on it to pick up the money, so she would have to come once a month to sign on. Even that you can fake easily. She doesn't actually have to come here at all if she knows a woman here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Well said mate !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Untrue and without foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I kid you not. I was walking past the po and he's coming out. Couldn't believe it when he told me. Tbh I am giving serious thought to reporting them. But I know nothing will come of it if I do. What really gets me is he said that there are loads of people doing it. They even fly on the same fligths sometimes.

It wouldn't me hard to stop if there was a will. A bit of cooperation with border control and social welfare is all it would take.
    A one man job. Tally up passport numbers on flights with days in the country and payments. Job done.

well if they're all on the same flight there's a real easy solution ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

well if they're all on the same flight there's a real easy solution ;)

Loose their luggage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

tv3 and dimejinky are now mates!!!!

lol :p

I just came in to offer tv3 some free grammar lessons. :D

(I know, I know - I think I am feeling generous and full of the milk of
    human kindness on account of the sunshine; take the offer while the sunshine
    lasts....)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Very good and in my experience 100% correct.

On a slightly different topic I have had manly eastern European individuals come into my office while in both employment/unemployment asking me to sign forms some of spouses who have PPS numbers and never visited the country, looking for some short of benefits when I enquired what the form is for before its signed their English takes a nose dive and they can't communicate what the form is for. So I give them my number so SS can call me and explain what the form is for that they are entitled to receive the benefits and I will sign it not one person from SS got back to me. Moral of the story they were bull****ing me

For some reason Eastern European seem to treat Ireland as some imperial power that once ruled their country. Can you imagine Iceland going through a boom Irish people go to work there and while we are there we go around with a chip on our shoulder, a face like a slapped arse never smile or be polite and then decide to screw everything we can from a country that opened its borders when the rest of Europe bar England and Sweden said **** Off.

I could post so many stories about Eastern Europeans we would be here all day, more Indians or Pakistanis lads is what we need good workers, polite to customers and no hassle.

So I will only say this once Ireland owes you nothing, so cheer the **** up you miserable lot Stop trying to scam us as we have enough fraudsters already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

wildsaffy wrote: »
    tv3 and dimejinky are now mates!!!!

lol :p

I just came in to offer tv3 some free grammar lessons. :D

(I know, I know - I think I am feeling generous and full of the milk of
    human kindness on account of the sunshine; take the offer while the sunshine
    lasts....)

And what exactly is your point..??:rolleyes:

Maybe stick to the op"s post and stop thread spoiling !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

wildsaffy wrote: »
    I just came in to offer tv3 some free grammar lessons.

Grammar Nazism is pointless and annoying and off topic.
    tv3 wrote: »
    Maybe stick to the op"s post and stop thread spoiling !

No back seat moderating please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'm a foreign national. From an African state. Suggest somewhere to meet and I'll pop into the SWO with you so you can see for yourself you're talking BS.
    tv3 wrote: »
    Well said mate !

You can come along too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Communicator

I've been reading this thread with interest.

Firstly, I'm assuming that if the wife is going to say that the husband has left her and she's going to continue to 'sign on the dole', she will be claiming Lone Parents Allowance. LPA can be paid directly into your bank account - no signing on there for anyone so no flights back and forward for her. Lucky girl. (That's sarcasm).

Secondly, that notion of the foreign nationals getting a car because of discrimination on a bus is just that, a notion, a fable. An urban myth. It never happened. It will never happen. And I defy anyone to tell me the name or address of ANYONE that they personally know who got this infamous cheque from SW for the supposed car?? There' a similar urban myth about the foreign taxi drivers who only have to pass the PSV test by 30% (or similar) whilst the poor Irish person has to pass it by 70% - don't quote me on those percentages because I'm not sure that they're exact. Another urban myth. Doesn't happen.

Just my twohapence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Lets buy up all their property and artificially inflate their property prices and rent.

That'll show them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

if he says he's living with the brother, shouldn't the brother's income be checked? Since he's a direct relative?

Funny enough, when I moved to England people suggested I do the same (fly back to sign on) and they couldn't understand why I wasn't having any of it:eek: . I even had people offer to pick up the money on my behalf and they thought I was crazy for not doing so :rolleyes: and yet, here I am in England, having followed all the rules to the book, jumped through all their hoops, and my benefit's been suspended and they're investigating whether I'm actually going out with my housemate or not :rolleyes: and it's entirely up to them to decide whether I am or not:eek: . That's what I get for being honest and truthful to the letter.

Anyway, over here, when you sign on initially, they do change the days and times around quite a bit and you have to sign on every two weeks and, after 6 months, they put you on something similar to a FAS course. As if you're gonna bother flying to England every two weeks to collect your £60 a week :rolleyes: . I thoroughly understand and expect to be treated differently here cos I'm not English... just like at home, I was surprised and relieved how nice they all were to me. I mean, the weekend I got laid off, I was doing some 'wandering around shopping' and after a few shops I'd walked into, I noticed that almost everyone was foreign. I've no problems with anybody working cos many of us have lived in foreign countries... I don't blame the worker, but it's those COMPANIES who have put Irish people out of work... so I vowed then not to shop in any shop if there were NO Irish employees.

• Advertisement

Hey Helen!

SW/HSE don't pay into bank accounts on new claims anymore as of a few months ago though, wasn't there a big fuss about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

Hey Helen!

SW/HSE don't pay into bank accounts on new claims anymore as of a few months ago though, wasn't there a big fuss about this?

Hello there :) yep, as of the day I signed on, I was inelligible for the straight into the bank account payment. People still thought it would be worth my while flying home every week or getting someone to pretend to be me :o . I didn't even consider it but people outright told me I was stupid :D and using the argument that 'why should it be just the foreigners?' Well just cos the foreigners may or may not do something that's wrong, doesn't mean I'm gonna do the same thing. Luckily I went the honest route and it turned out I was simply able to TRANSFER the dole (only for a certain number of weeks though) so it was unnecessary anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

SWL wrote: »

On a slightly different topic I have had manly eastern European individuals come into my office while in both employment/unemployment asking me to sign forms some of spouses who have PPS numbers and never visited the country, looking for some short of benefits when I enquired what the form is for before its signed their English takes a nose dive and they can't communicate what the form is for. So I give them my number so SS can call me and explain what the form is for that they are entitled to receive the benefits and I will sign it not one person from SS got back to me. Moral of the story they were bull****ing me

For some reason Eastern European seem to treat Ireland as some imperial power that once ruled their country. Can you imagine Iceland going through a boom Irish people go to work there and while we are there we go around with a chip on our shoulder, a face like a slapped arse never smile or be polite and then decide to screw everything we can from a country that opened its borders when the rest of Europe bar England and Sweden said **** Off.

I could post so many stories about Eastern Europeans we would be here all day, more Indians or Pakistanis lads is what we need good workers, polite to customers and no hassle.

So I will only say this once Ireland owes you nothing, so cheer the **** up you miserable lot Stop trying to scam us as we have enough fraudsters already.
    Less of the generalisations please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

U.S. have plans to close the borders for irish and send most of them back to Ireland. They said irish is the reason for this global crisis. They are destroying U.S. economy as they are very very lazy and well known scam artists.
    Australia closed their borders for irish from last wednesday for the same reasons as U.S. At the moment nobody can get into OZ because of the irish
    invasion. Australians are going mad.
    Bundestag in Germany yesterday announced that because of irish scam in US their economy has start to shake. They want to restore passport check on all airports to sort irish from others and then send them back.
    In Poland you can see signs "No irish".

THIS IS NOT TRUE!!! IT IS THE SAME TYPE OF BU!!SH1T AS THE POST ABOVE!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I have had manly eastern European individuals come into my office
    Drooooooool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

polish are not bad great or anything there just people with interests in everything were interested in...they just want to get by and enjoy life if u were never friends with polish well thats becoz maby ur no fun or just in a different social place to them. many polish came here becaz they seen opportunity....but remember there just people like u and me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

polish are not bad great or anything there just people with interests in everything were interested in...they just want to get by and enjoy life if u were never friends with polish well thats becoz maby ur no fun or just in a different social place to them. many polish came here becaz they seen opportunity....but remember there just people like u and me

Please refrain from using txt spk.

Dear Java,

You ARE a sweet little moderator!

Have a cookie.

Oh, and tv3, if I HAVE to explain the point, maybe there are other things that are also way over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

pcardin wrote: »
    U.S. have plans to close the borders for irish and send most of them back to Ireland. They said irish is the reason for this global crisis. They are destroying U.S. economy as they are very very lazy and well known scam artists.
    Australia closed their borders for irish from last wednesday for the same reasons as U.S. At the moment nobody can get into OZ because of the irish
    invasion. Australians are going mad.
    Bundestag in Germany yesterday announced that because of irish scam in US their economy has start to shake. They want to restore passport check on all airports to sort irish from others and then send them back.
    In Poland you can see signs "No irish".

THIS IS NOT TRUE!!! IT IS THE SAME TYPE OF BU!!SH1T AS THE POST ABOVE!!! :D

Go back and re read the post again, you clearly don’t understand what has been written.

Where in my post does it say I want non national removed from this country
    Here in my post does it say expressly or implied that non nationals are lazy
    Where in my post does it ay that non nationals are the source of an economic crash.

You are obviously` trying to push some PC mantra that non nationals don’t commit fraud and crime its only the racist Irish who would lower the that level, say it often enough and hey presto they will begin to believe it themselves.

Welcome to Ireland it great to have a law abiding citizen who condones such behaviour by defending the indefensible. Why can’t non nationals accept that crime is also perpetrated by other non nationals, and if they were really interested in integration and respect for the country they would condone such behaviour, (including Irish scammers) instead they jump to the defence and play the race card

My post is not BS but based I’m sorry to say on first hand experience, the poles Latvian and Lithuania wouldn’t work together, be in the same vehicle, etc etc, thief, damage to company vehicles, bullying and threaten behaviour towards staff members simply because they are African, you might find that behaviour acceptable but I don’t.

I also find don’t accept non nationals who have been given a opportunity to further themselves in another country which accommodates them as much as possible, lets them live hassle free and provides a safe environment for them or their family to abuse the generosity of the host nation by trying to scam the system. It’s good to know they have your support and the elderly and middle income earners who will be crucified next week in the second budget, will pick up the tap and provide monies that are in scarce supply to individuals who are NOT entitled to it.

And for clarity if the US, Australia, Germany and anywhere else decided to “send the Irish home” I don’t have a problem with that, it’s their country and they are entitled to govern it as they see fit.

But any time a slight question on a non national is raised and In my view on this topic a valid reason, the race card is played immediately and the mantra of the Irish are in other countries etc. no non national has yet to condone criminal and morally wrong behaviour that has been raised in the post it does happen so lets cut through the BS. And you wonder why the welcoming seems to be disappearing. But that’s the Irish persons fault, them and there sense of fairness to a crippled society – the racists

• Advertisement

A criminal is a criminal in what ever country they live in.

I have lived in Ireland for 14 years; when I do good, I am rewarded, when I mess up (everyone does from time to time), I receive approbation.

Fair enough. Ireland is a great country on the whole for encouraging people to do better and succeed.

I do however feel that if you move to another country that you take the time to appreciate that country, its people, its culture etc etc. There must have been something that attracted you to that particular country. And in turn contribute to that country.

On the other hand though I hate the innately ignorant people that are more than happy to jump on any bandwagon ....."A chinese person robbed a man in Dublin?? bleedin' scum, send them all back" etc etc ... You won't find these same people googling up how much taxes the chinese people living here pay into the tax system.

(Merely using chinese people as an example.)

And the people that whinge the loudest forget that many families survived on the money that was sent "back home" from the Irish that were working in Liverpool, London, Boston etc etc. And the Irish have done their fair share of scamming in those countries as well, as its well known.

Advertisement