Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

shezzie wrote: »
    yeah thankfully they brought in that id as manditory will make the job much easier now thankfully - though must say if i had any suspicion of anyone i would always look for it anyway - i think they should put the photo on the card though aswell like a national id type of card - you cannot be strict enough on this - there is too much welfare fraud causing the country and its tax paying people way too much - tomorrow should be interesting though
    How has it worked heretofore? Did claimants not show any ID at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

IIMII wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they HAD a right to ask for ID... I always brought my passport just in case but never got asked... had to show my social welfare card though. I think this is just one of those laws that they've never enforced so maybe now they're making the law again... prehaps to bring the national ID to debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

IIMII wrote: »

if you had any suspicions on the signature or you didnt think they looked the age then you could ask but it wasnt official as such to ask now it is - personally today i gave everyone a week notice but next its a total no if no photographic id is presented - it will make things more awkward and harder cause people cant give the cards to their mates of families to collect unless they are marked as an agent on the card - if there is not an agent and there someone who doesnt the card its confiscated and sent back to social welfare with a full report. the person giving the card across who is not owner could also have the gardai beside asking a few questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Unbelievable.

I haven't read the whole thread and I would probably file this one under free prams and 4 course swan meals.

But the main point is if they told you this why didn't you report them to social welfare? If they were reported then they would be called in for surprise interview and grilled about it.

It is your job to stop people abusing our system regardless if they are Irish or another nationality. Not to sit here whining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Any one of you walk into your local community welfare officer tomorrow, tell them your being harrassed and intimidated on the bus, and you need the money for a car. You'll be laughed at. Get a foreigen national from an African state to do it and he'll come out with a cheque. It's disgusting.
    tv3 wrote: »
    Well said mate !
    Mena wrote: »
    I'm a foreign national. From an African state. Suggest somewhere to meet and I'll pop into the SWO with you so you can see for yourself you're talking BS.

I've given ye both a week and no reply. I guess even you have to admit you're talking nothing but crap. Get yer heads out of the tabloids and think for yourselves once in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Mena how dare you threaten any Irish member of boards.IE
    you would not have that computer if it were not for the Irish tax
    payer handing you benefits

and all I ever see in my community is trouble for yew attack old women
    bullying local Girls its about time something was done about it

D.R cowboy wrote: »

You think benefits paid for this computer, or the three laptops I have? I suppose they paid for my 4 bed detached as well, probably paid for the two BMW's in my driveway too huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No threats were made.

He's not on "benefits" afaik.

Are they Yew or Triffids...I think you'll find its Triffids.

Nodin wrote: »
    He's not on "benefits" afaik.

Cheers, I work for my money. Must be nice to see a "non-national" taking home over 90k a year :cool:.

It's time the nutjobs on this forum realise that not all of us are scrounging around on minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Brilliantly shocking stuff. It really scares me that people like this poster exist in our modern society.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Cheers, I work for my money. Must be nice to see a "non-national" taking home over 90k a year :cool:.

It's time the nutjobs on this forum realise that not all of us are scrounging around on minimum wage.

Quit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Onlly Nigerian I ever knew left school here with a crap leaving cert, worked a 7 day week on a site to get a PC...moved onto a few jobs, left for for London, joined PriceWaterhouse and worked his way through to become an accountant while living in a hostel. Last I head of him he had a gaff in the Chelsea area, working as a financial controller for a multi-national. True story.

Thats far more than I've done with meself, and a damn sight more than the likes of the whingers throwing out crap about "free cars". Fuck the lot of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Bannings for personal insults from here on in chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wow, just Wow.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

K-9 wrote: »

Originally Posted by D.R cowboy
    "Mena how dare you threaten any Irish member of boards.IE

bullying local Girls its about time something was done about it"

Im assuming this is banter - i havn't read the whole thread..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

K-9 wrote: »

Originally Posted by D.R cowboy
    "Mena how dare you threaten any Irish member of boards.IE

bullying local Girls its about time something was done about it"

Im assuming this is banter - i havn't read the whole thread..........

The clue is in the total lack of punctuation - usually indicative of an incoherent rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Go easy on Cowboy - he lives in a "community". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

`Just found this thread and thought I'd add my 2c, I work in the haulage/garage industry and know of several(20+) eastern european truck drivers who lived here but moved home and now drive for companies in their home countries who deliver goods to Ireland and the drivers sign on and collect their money when theyre over here every week, on the other hand I know of plenty of Irish drivers pulling the same scam in the UK

I don't mind the rants so much, even the racist / xenephobic ones. My issue here is the total inability of certain people to see anything other than a welfare scam artist the minute "non-national" or even more so, "non-eu national" is mentioned.

Our friend here, D.R. cowboy, sees me confirm that a ) I am a foreign national and b ) I am from Africa, and instantly the computer I am using was provided by the Irish tax payer. Not even for one tiny second did he think it was possible that for the past nine years I have been working in Ireland in a senior management position, paying a hell of a lot of these taxes he thinks funds me.

I'll have people like him know that I am good friends with a number of African "non-nationals", not one of them has ever been on the dole or even considered it, and all of them are earning at least double the current average industrial wage.

Kinda pokes holes in these stereotypes.
    `Just found this thread and thought I'd add my 2c, I work in the haulage/garage industry and know of several(20+) eastern european truck drivers who lived here but moved home and now drive for companies in their home countries who deliver goods to Ireland and the drivers sign on and collect their money when theyre over here every week, on the other hand I know of plenty of Irish drivers pulling the same scam in the UK

Now this I find a lot more believable than the flying in from Poland crap. Bottom line is we've had these problems with the Welfare system for years now, it's only now that we're in a so-called recession that most people give a damn. Before that, most people seemed not to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Think that sums it up well actually.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Here Mena for a guy in such a senior management position you Know a serious
    amount about the hole welfare system

Are you sure your not working as a manger in the post office handing the welfare out to your buddies !!

I think the bottom line is this with the Irish economy struggling its time that Some
    of the foreigners hit the road , a small economy cannot cope with extra people who are no longer need as there is nothing to be built

I would like someone to post a link about the number of foreigners who have left since October , I herd they are building a stadium in Poland for the European championships
    ETC so there is no need for them to be hanging around when there is things to be built

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Are you sure your not working as a manger in the post office handing the welfare out to your buddies !!

Stop trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

l the more reason for bringing it in. computerization and centralization of all state departments would save the government a fortune

did the government not have a big push for decentraliztion recently??

I think the bottom line is this with the Irish economy struggling its time that Some
    of the foreigners hit the road , a small economy cannot cope with extra people who are no longer need as there is nothing to be built

I would like someone to post a link about the number of foreigners who have left since October , I herd they are building a stadium in Poland for the European championships
    ETC so there is no need for them to be hanging around when there is things to be built

Just amending the text so we can all understand:

"Here, Mena - for a guy in such a senior management position you know a serious amount about the whole welfare system!

Are you sure you're not working as a manager in the post office handing the welfare out to your buddies?

I think the bottom line is this - with the Irish economy struggling, it is time that some of the foreigners hit the road. A small economy cannot cope with extra people who are no longer needed as there is nothing to be built.

I would like someone to post a link about the number of foreigners who have left since October - I heard that there is a new stadium being built in Poland for the European Championships etc. So there is no need for them to be hanging around when there are things to be built."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 routine

someone i know is on the dole for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bobbly

routine wrote: »
    someone i know is on the dole for a year.
    really? how do ya know this person?

When I was offered the opportunity to move to a foreign country, over 10 years ago, I made it my business to know full well what I was getting into, from local customs to politics to welfare to immigration issues. It was the least I could do, and besides, it takes all of 5 minutes to fully familiarise oneself with these aspects direct from the source online.

That would make you feel less threatened wouldn't it?
    I would like someone to post a link about the number of foreigners who have left since October

Do your own research, it may even allow you to contribute to these discussions in future.
    , I herd they are building a stadium in Poland for the European championships

The Polish are part of the EU and have as much right to be here in Ireland as you do. If you feel that Ireland should remove itself from the EU then that's another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Mena, I wouldn't bother yourself by feeling the need to respond to all that drivel. D.R. Cowboy's posts are so hideously donktastic they are almost funny. In fact they are so cringingly bad, if anything they would turn off your more run of the mill Irish person from even entertaining such xenophobic tripe. ;)

luckylucky wrote: »
    Mena, I wouldn't bother yourself by feeling the need to respond to all that drivel. D.R. Cowboy's posts are so hideously donktastic they are almost funny. In fact they are so cringingly bad, if anything they would turn off your more run of the mill Irish person from even entertaining such xenophobic tripe. ;)

In all fairness, I'm rather enjoying it, and besides, it helps me procrastinate cutting the grass... :cool:

• Advertisement

Ah, come on now Mena - you can be more resourceful than that. Do as I do - an hour painting the hallway - then leg it back here to see if there are any amusing updates!!!

Cuts into the pain of domestic chores.... :D

Advertisement