Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Nationals flying in for the day to sign on the dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

tv3 wrote: »
    Ive know problem with the irish doing it as im sure they have being ripped off paying tax at some stage in there work history.
    But when it comes to the immigrant polish etc etc claming it:mad:they shouldnt be allowed in the country to do it in the first place.They are the reason the irish people are struggling!

Possibly the most rediculous post I've ever seen on boards....... ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

How are the Irish not suffering with less money in the Budget this year? Would we have lost the over 70s automatic right to a medical card if we stopped illegal immigrants at the point of entry, and deported those who refuse to work?

How much money is this costing us in real terms? I can imagine its into the double digit number of millions. That could have prevented the loss of the medical card rights.

Don't give me that blindfolded PC crap.

Joker wrote: »
    How are the Irish not suffering with less money in the Budget this year? Would we have lost the over 70s automatic right to a medical card if we stopped illegal immigrants at the point of entry, and deported those who refuse to work?

How much money is this costing us in real terms? I can imagine its into the double digit number of millions. That could have prevented the loss of the medical card rights.

Don't give me that blindfolded PC crap.

Sorry were you directing that at me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sorry were you directing that at me?

Not particularly, I was thinking of it, but it didn't apply to you. The guy before you was being silly. Irish people have no right to scam the social welfare system, we should come down heavily on them.

Praise Fianna Fail for their wonderful public service. :rolleyes:

Well DanishViking said it well when he stated:
    This of course doesn't mean you should not do all in your power to stop people (Irish and non irish nationals) from scamming the wellfare system and thereby the taxpayer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

I know of a german girl in cork doing the exact same thing. Flight in once a month, signs on, stays for a few days & back to germany. Easy money... she may not be working in germany though if thats some consolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Well again SimpleSam06, it's not so black and white.
    Yes, it really is.
    1) You did not "Absorb" so many immigrants, you asked them to come and work( when I came over here, Ireland need 5000 immigrants a month to come over to keep the economy going)
    Hahah. Where was the shortage in workers? Why does our economy magically not need them anymore? And as a matter of fact we as you pointed out yourself, are in the EU, where free movement of labour is guaranteed. We were one of the first countries to move on that, but we were bound to do it. I don't recall sending an email to Poland asking for a hand.
    and you would not have the wealth you have today if you had not let in immigrants to do the work you need done. So they have been a welcome group.
    Utter tripe. Economies get wealthy THEN the poor immigrants arrive, not the other way around. Causation is not correlation. In fact in Keynesian terms, economic migrants are pure poison for an economy, representing serious leakage and driving down wages for everyone else.
    2) You have mostly immigrants from eastern europe(think it is around 90%) which means they are white and catholic, so that makes intergration very much easier.
    There were almost 18,000 African-originated children granted citizenship under the born in Ireland clause in our constitution, now stricken from the constitution. Add their families in there and get back to me. As well as that, Polish culture is very far from Irish culture, not just in language. Not sure why you're denigrating our ability to absorb other cultures though. Not Irish yourself? :D
    3) you can't ecpect people to come and work for around 15 years(thats how long the celtic tiger has been happening, right?)
    The majority of the immigration only began in 2001 and 2002, when the word about the wealth of Ireland started to get around.
    and then just go away when you want. Again look to the rest of Europe(france, Uk, Germany) and see what happened with their "guest worker" population.
    Is there some problem with their gaining citizenship that I might have missed here? Or do they want the benefits of being a citizen without the responsibility?
    So I think there are lots of reasons that there hasn't been riots in the streets(besides the aforementioned miracel)
    Nah, you sound sour that we managed to make it work here where so many of our "cultural betters" have failed before us, us tick padies.
    his ofcause doesn't mean you should not do all in you power to stop people (Irish and non irish nationals) from scamming the wellfare system and thereby the taxpayer
    So eh, why are you arguing with me. I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hahah. Where was the shortage in workers? Why does our economy magically not need them anymore? And as a matter of fact we as you pointed out yourself, are in the EU, where free movement of labour is guaranteed. We were one of the first countries to move on that, but we were bound to do it. I don't recall sending an email to Poland asking for a hand.

So there was no shortage of workers? That would explain how unemployment was so high when the Polish took our jobs in Spar etc. Oh wait it wasn't.

There were a lot of jobs to be filled especially in the construction and services industry. If there wasn't a shortage of workers, then how come a big rise in unemployment didn't accompany the arrival of so many immigrants?

I agree with a lot of the rest of what you posted but I have to disagree on the shortage of workers issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Hi guys
    I went thru this thread and i must say i cant blame you people to have such a bad opinion about us.
    All i can say is no mercy for SCAMERS from 1st post. Shame shame shame...

PS. im polish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I blame all this on the church,yes thats my postion and i'm sticking with it........No wait....I've changed my mind I think it's mc dowell you should shoulder most of the blame coupled with your sister.

Blah fu*king blah, fraud will always take place if the system allows it, and our system allows it in buckets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

annie.t wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I went thru this thread and i must say i cant blame you people to have such a bad opinion about us.
    All i can say is no mercy for SCAMERS from 1st post. Shame shame shame...

PS. im polish

Are you a cutie!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's quite obvious to me that a lot of people posting on this thread lack a basic understanding of economics.

Do you honestly believe that immigrants scamming the dole are to blame for our economic downturn? Really? Honestly?

Good lord - some people need to read the paper a bit more often.

For the record - I'm not in favour of anyone scamming the dole but I know that the amount of dole fraud in the country is not the reason we're in a recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Toe-Rag UTD

Travelers are famous for doing this along with Irish people traveling to London and vise versa. Its been happening for years more than you think.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's quite obvious to me that a lot of people piosting on this thread lack a basic understanding of economics.

Do you honestly believe that immigrants scamming the dole are to blame for our economic downturn? Really? Honestly?
    True, if there is to be any finger pointing, aim at the greedy fcukers who made millions on selling land to each other several times over racking up the "value" to rediculous levels then building overpriced houses on it and selling to mugs who spent all their disposable income to "get on the ladder".

With nearly all their income going in mortgage repayments less was going to the general economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

It's quite obvious to me that a lot of people posting on this thread lack a basic understanding of economics.

Good lord - some people need to read the paper a bit more often.

For the record - I'm not in favour of anyone scamming the dole but I know that the amount of dole fraud in the country is not the reason we're in a recession.

+1

It’s really funny it doesn’t take much for xenophobia to rear its ugly head when times get hard, not to long ago most of the Irish wouldn’t have been seen dead working in McDonalds or Spar and now all the foreigners are taking our jobs and scamming the system.

Some of you posters should just go out and buy your KKK uniforms (No doubt you’ll be served by an Eastern European – Just hold your breath) and start to burn your crosses.
    When the UK went into recession in the late eighties they didn’t start blaming all the hundred of thousands of Irish that emigrated there as migrant workers!:rolleyes:

Read a news paper and inform yourselves! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

DubArk wrote: »
    When the UK went into recession in the late eighties they didn’t start blaming all the hundred of thousands of Irish that emigrated there as migrant workers!:rolleyes:

I think that's because they were too busy calling us stupid paddies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Possibly the most rediculous post I've ever seen on boards....... ever.
    I had an idea you would say that.Hopefully the government make it very hard for the immigrants and let them know that they are not wanted and are the cause of 90% of scamming in IRELAND !

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think that's because they were too busy calling us stupid paddies...

Maybe they had a point! :D

I had an idea you would say that.Hopefully the government make it very hard for the immigrants and let them know that they are not wanted and are the cause of 90% of scamming in IRELAND !

I heard 93%. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

DubArk wrote: »
    +1
    Some of you posters should just go out and buy your KKK uniforms

I have one of those:eek:

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    So there was no shortage of workers? That would explain how unemployment was so high when the Polish took our jobs in Spar etc. Oh wait it wasn't.
    You need to look at what actually happens on the ground though. As one poster pointed out, the dole over the summer was filled with Irish students who couldn't get work. Go into your spar shop and tell me how many times you see the same faces there. Not too often? Thats because they overhire like crazy, give everyone twelve hours a week, and deny them any benefits. While gross unemployment may not have gone up, the effect on low skilled and unskilled workers was severe.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I have one of those:eek:

Hallowe'en costumes don't count. :D
    You need to look at what actually happens on the ground though. As one poster pointed out, the dole over the summer was filled with Irish students who couldn't get work. Go into your spar shop and tell me how many times you see the same faces there. Not too often?

Actually they usually are the same staff. Does that mean I can ignore the rest of your post? :)

Go into your spar shop and tell me how many times you see the same faces there. Not too often?

Actually the Spar shop beside me has had the same core staff of 6 guys since I moved into my area (about 15 months ago). Everyone else is part-time staff.

Oh and in case you're wondering not one of them are Irish.

I'm holding my breath here waiting for your source for this (clearly not manufactured) figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

I'm holding my breath here waiting for your source for this (clearly not manufactured) figure.
    Sorry my mistake..its 93% !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You have reported this yes?

Just cause the baddies in this tale are Polish doesn't mean you have to post in Polish speak - You are Irish person yes? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If a foreign person comes to Ireland and commits a crime, is that worse than an Irish person living in Ireland who commits a crime?

Or are they equally as bad?

What if the foreign person is from the EU and has a right to live here?
    What if the foreign person is not from the EU and does not have a right to live here?

I think a lot of people feel it's "less bad" if it is an Irish person. Can an amateur philosopher give her opinions on this? :)

Raiser wrote: »
    Just cause the baddies in this tale are Polish doesn't mean you have to post in Polish speak - You are Irish person yes? :P

Is Polish speak like reverse polish as used by the early electronic calculators? Are you sure it's not just crap english. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Is Polish speak like reverse polish as used by the early electronic calculators?
    I wish it was so simple ;)

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote:
    Actually they usually are the same staff. Does that mean I can ignore the rest of your post?
    Actually the Spar shop beside me has had the same core staff of 6 guys since I moved into my area (about 15 months ago). Everyone else is part-time staff.
    I've rarely seen the same faces in every one of the three Spars I go into, and I know several people working in the likes of Euro2 that will confirm what I'm saying. So my anecdotes>your anecdotes. Unless... the plural of anecdote is not data? :D

Advertisement