Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How will the budget affect you?

Options
  • 14-10-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Just watching the budget results on the news a while ago got me thinking how will it affect the average motorist? At least they left diesel alone but the increase in road tax yet again and petrol is a huge disapointment to most i'm sure. I'm not sure if I got it right or not as regards the parking levy of 200euros for parking your car at work, does this mean that people who work in Dail Eireann will have to pay 200 euros for parking their cars at work too? ............I think not.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It was classic FF tactics to keep the Civil Servants onside, the €200 parking levy is payable by the employer, ie the government in their case so they suffer nothing for having their lovely free parking spaces, all 4000 of them in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

the 1 percent increase is not very pleasing or either is the price of unleaded petrol going up 8c. 10% cut off the td's salare means noting really to them.

Omg the thought of losing 25000 and still coming in with 225000 a year! not bad for .........

making this country a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It's a f**king joke for sure, thieving b**tards.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

junkyard wrote: »
    At least they left diesel alone

Well the reason they done this is only because they'd have every lorry baricading Leinster House if they put this up.

There's no balls to this budget, they cut a bit here and there that will leave more people in hardship instead of trying to miminise it. Focusing on certain aspects would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

An extra €4 a fill and €40pa road tax. Hardly the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Gormley's carbon budget is tomorrow, might change VRT too.

Ask me the same question then...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Anan1 wrote: »

+1
    I can't understand the mass hysteria myself, I was expecting much much worse. Granted I do relatively low miles, so €4 on a fill-up is not going to put me on bread and water. I would have thought the general state of the used car market is a much bigger (and more costly) concern for most people on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm pissed. Annoyed. Or Worse. :mad: :mad:

And offering Eur1000 for bicycles - For ****'s Sake - that is disgusting.

I can't believe they didn't hammer the new car tax regime and bring it back in line with the old system - I mean, upping 2.5+ cars by 5% - that'll bring half of **** all.

Don't get me started on the civil service - as Edde Hobbs just said on Prime Time, all civil servants should pay BIK on their secure, gauranteed-pension employment - it is us who's paying it FFS !

As to how it'll affect me - my cost of motoring to work goes up, irrespective of what I drive to get there. My tax bill goes up from work. If I get sick and need to go to A & E.......that goes up. I'm one of those 'middle ground' people that's getting it from both sides!

I tell ya, if I had half a brain I'd leave this place........:mad:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

The Government isn't giving a free offer of a grand to everyone who cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As it stands it makes little difference but this Carbon Budget malarky is a concern.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The increase in tax on petrol, even though it is a far cleaner fuel, and the Government was already taking in an extra 6 cent per litre on it over means we'll all be less healthy and putting additional pressure on our already overloaded health service. Furthermore it'll make people buy higher CO2 diesels instead of cleaner petrols, because obviously petrols are going to be even dearer to run.

More to the point it will make a lot of hitherto unsellable cars even more unsellable, which means worse trade in allowances, dealers holding onto cars for even longer and that ultimately means that there will be even more job redundancies in the already beleaguered car industry.

The motor tax I can get over, 4% isn't a lot, I don't think an extra €6 is going to kill somebody who buys a new Audi TT TDI somehow.

I'm very relieved that the Government didn't give into the SIMI on a scrappage scheme, and sensibly has left VRT unaltered for the time being at present.

Also it should be noted that the 0.5% increase in VAT will increase the cost of new cars and imports with less than 6,000 km on the clock/under 6 months old too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Anan1 wrote: »

I wouldn't say that, I haven't done my sums but I'll be out over 1000 at least in comparison to last year, when you add fuel,road tax,tax, etc:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I tell ya, if I had half a brain I'd leave this place........:mad:
    Be careful - there might be a tax on leaving the country as well.
    mike65 wrote: »
    As it stands it makes little difference but this Carbon Budget malarky is a concern.

Mike

Yep, we get to have two budgets this year. Just as we're regaining our vision from the first kick in the balls, guess what? - *BAM*, thud.

:mad:

AudiChris wrote: »
    Gormley's carbon budget is tomorrow, might change VRT too.

Ask me the same question then...

eh? I missed that - what's all that about, then ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SteveC wrote: »

There is - tenner a flight...

E92 wrote: »
    .....Furthermore it'll make people buy higher CO2 diesels instead of cleaner petrols, because obviously petrols are going to be even dearer to run.

More to the point it will make a lot of hitherto unsellable cars even more unsellable, which means worse trade in allowances, dealers holding onto cars for even longer and that ultimately means that there will be even more job redundancies in the already beleaguered car industry.

well, let me do my bit for the 'environment', then :rolleyes:, find me a nice 2.0 petrol trade for my 1.9 TiD Saab......:D :D

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

There is a tax on leaving the country, the new "Air Travel Tax" is €10.

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2009/budgetsummary09.html#_Toc211585085

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

MYOB wrote: »

Got there before me ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

MYOB wrote: »
    DonJose wrote: »
    There is a tax on leaving the country, the new "Air Travel Tax" is €10.

Yeah, I know, I should've added one of these: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57574194#post57574194

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

At least they left diesel alone
    Keith186 wrote: »
    Well the reason they done this is only because they'd have every lorry baricading Leinster House if they put this up.

My theory on this is that, as well as keeping the diesel-using industry happy for now, this will further incentivise people to buy diesel cars , then when the reviews Lenihan ominously referred to at one point are complete later this year, next year we all get hit with emissions/carbon taxes in next year's budget.

Expect a "preview" of this tomorrow when Gormley announces his carbon budget.

The Minister for Finance decides VRT, NOT the Minister for the Environment.

The Minister for the Environment is in charge of motor tax though

So there won't be an increase in VRT, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of "carbon levy" on new cars(which would basically be more VRT just under a different name).

Apparently the Minister announced a VRT review in march of next year, but unfortunately I can't find it in his speech, so I take it VRT will be left alone for the time being, which it quite rightly should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's the same deal as with bus and rail passes, allowing you to deduct the cost from your gross salary. I'm sure this being Ireland, there'll be too many T&Cs to make it worthwhile for anyone to avail of it anyway.

E92 wrote: »
    The Minister for Finance decides VRT, NOT the Minister for the Environment.
    I thought VRT was an environmental tax now (since the change) and thus under Gormless's control?

I thought VRT was an environmental tax now (since the change) and thus under Gormless's control?

I always thought VRT was done by the Department of Finance, but if I'm wrong then I'm wrong:)! I just don't remember hearing anything about it being changed though, but again I'm open to correction on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

300 out of pocket - or a weeks wages as a poor miserly student ! Won't affect Lenihan with his massive paycheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Blunder

I drive from donegal to cork for work each week. I park outside my office on the site i'm working on. Do I have to pay 200 euro for the privilage of parking my car?

Also My other half commutes 30 miles to and from work each day to work in a building within an ida park. The route she goes to work is not on a route of public transport. Does she have to pay 200 euro too?

Gormless has already f**ked the motor trade this year without this carbon tax cr*p. Every garage I know down my way are on their knees with most of their staff left go. Every economists articles I've read lately have all advised against increasing taxes and what do these muppets do, increase taxes. It's hard to accept that we taxpayers have to bail out the banks considering the service they've provided over the years. And now that the government has aggreed to cover the non Irish owned banks it's pushed the figure from 400 billion to 600 billion, considering the whole of America is covering their banks for 700 billion and Ireland is covering their banks for 600 billion, it really doesn't add up, frankly I'm amazed at the stupidity going on here and the scarey thing is we're going to have to pay. I'm glad I decided to move out of here last August.:(

Gormless has already f**ked the motor trade this year without this carbon tax cr*p. Every garage I know down my way are on their knees with most of their staff left go. Every economists articles I've read lately have all advised against increasing taxes and what do these muppets do, increase taxes. It's hard to accept that we taxpayers have to bail out the banks considering the service they've provided over the years. And now that the government has aggreed to cover the non Irish owned banks it's pushed the figure from 400 billion to 600 billion, considering the whole of America is covering their banks for 700 billion and Ireland is covering their banks for 600 billion, it really doesn't add up, frankly I'm amazed at the stupidity going on here and the scarey thing is we're going to have to pay. I'm glad I decided to move out of here last August.:(

Hey - tell us how your really feel !! :D:D

Seriously, though - you're moving ? Where to ? We had a not-dissimilar discussion here, today.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Hey - tell us how your really feel !! :D:D

Seriously, though - you're moving ? Where to ? We had a not-dissimilar discussion here, today.

Well tbh I feel relieved I'm not staying here, moving to south of France just outside Monaco.

Advertisement