Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's steepest hill

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Zyzz wrote: »

Had a go at this today.

It’s a bit more twisty up to the mast than I was expecting from the photo (not sure it actually matches up) but it’s a great climb. I came from Gortin direction, nice scenery up through the valley and forest park. It evens out in a few places on the way up for a chance to recover. Getting near the top I was thinking this is not so bad but it kicks like a mule for the last 500m or so. Looked down at one stage and the Garmin was reading 27%, stopped looking down after that and just tried to take it one pedal stroke at a time. I averaged about 6km/hour in the last section and that’s not the slowest on record!

I did Mullaghmore to Truskmore in Sligo a couple of weeks ago which is probably tougher, more elevation gain over a shorter distance but just as likely to do with the surface which as far as I could tell was 50% tarmac and 50% sheep manure … not the best for rear wheel traction.

Must get out of this mast climb habit, they’re generally off the beaten track for a good reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Not great quality from my phone camera but here's a couple of photos.

6xfz4Sw.jpg

vnTtY2K.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

They are all paved although surface differs from smooth to rough/grass in centre/loose gravel types.

Mount Leinster is fine on a road bike.

That is scary. Seriously just watching the video makes me nervous, never mind actually sitting in that saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Minaun in Achill has to get a mention drove up it recently when I was down there must bring the bike to try it...
    Any locals give it a go??
    ill try throw snaps of it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Minaun in Achill has to get a mention...
    It's been mentioned a few times on different threads.

Here's someone's descent:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Minaun in Achill has to get a mention drove up it recently when I was down there must bring the bike to try it...
    Any locals give it a go??
    ill try throw snaps of it later.

Tried it last year and had to stop to take a breather, more than once!! Had cycled 50km into wind and rain and only had a 39/30

Went back this year with new wheels, 34/28, a stone lighter and in better weather and knocked 11 minutes off my time from last year!!

It's a fab climb and as you obviously know yourself, the views at the top are simply stunning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

A few snaps of it but the pictures don't do it enough justice.

Advertisement