Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringo says 'No More'

Options
  • 14-10-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Seems the former Beatle has too much on his hands these days to waste time responding to fans who put him where he is..

What's keeping him so busy, that's what I want to know!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gJg8fenoEWYzLVVJtNIxeta7IIAgD93QBK2O0

Ringo Starr: Don't send me any more fan mail
    By GREGORY KATZ – 6 hours ago

LONDON (AP) — Ringo Starr doesn't want to hear from you. If you do write, your letter will end up in the trash. After 45 years of stardom, he doesn't want to spend any more time answering mail or sending signed photos back to fans.

The fan fatigue led the former Beatles drummer to post a sometimes angry sounding short video clip on his Web site telling fans that any mail sent to him after Oct. 20 will not be read or answered. British television stations broadcast the video on Tuesday.

"It's going to be tossed," he says on the video. "I'm warning you with peace and love, I have too much to do. So no more fan mail. Thank you, thank you. And no objects to be signed. Nothing. Anyway, peace and love, peace and love."

The drummer and singer did not elaborate on the reason behind his decision to cut off a major point of contact with his many fans.

Starr, 68, has maintained a very active touring and recording schedule in recent years, drawing large crowds for performances with his All-Starr band.

The band plays a mix of old Beatles hits, Starr's many solo offerings, and other classics from the 1960s and 1970s. Starr usually serves as front man, though he sometimes plays the drums.

But he has angered longtime fans in Liverpool by telling interviewers that he does not miss his native city. Vandals there beheaded a topiary sculpture of Starr earlier this year — he was the only one of the four Beatles whose likeness was desecrated.

The good-natured drummer, who also enjoyed a brief acting career after star turns in Beatles' films "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help!," guest starred on a 1991 episode of "The Simpsons" in which he is shown scrupulously answering every piece of fan mail that comes his way.

"They took the time to write to me, and I don't care if it takes 20 years, I'm going to answer every one of them," Starr says on the show.

In his mail, he finds a package from Marge Simpson that contains a portrait she painted of him back in the Beatles heyday. He puts it on his wall and writes back to tell her — a few decades late — how much he likes her painting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any other rock star would have had a underling replying to the letters from about 1968 onwards. Give the guy credit.

I <3 Ringo me. My favourite Beatle ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

He's probably just stroppy because he's not socially relevant anymore.

Ringo is Ringo; as such, he exists on a plane far above transient considerations such as social relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Marge Simpson must be upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The irony of all this is that i once got Ringos authograph in of all places Amsterdam,way back in 1980.The fact that there were few people around at the time probably made him more at ease and he chatted to me for a few minutes .

However my feelings towards him have since changed .He arrived in Liverpool to help promote the citys capital of culture status and was give a welcoming reception equal to that of a head of state, with local and national media covering his every move.He gave a concert performance in front of thousends of people on top of st georges hall and performed the next evening at the recently opened concert arena.He also ( coincidently) released a song and video to coincide with his uk vist which had the words '' liverpool.... i gave you the best years of my life '' (my ass he did ) The next day he appeared on the J Ross show and said '' he missed nothing about Liverpool or his neighbourhood '' .

Well considering he grew up and was rasied in the ****hole part of the city known as Toxteth and left there at the height of beatlemania why would he ? He was the least educated of the fab 4 and unlike Harrison and McCartney, has gave nothing back to the city of his birth .Even John Lennon before he died said he hoped to be able to return to Liverpool some day but fear of not getting back into the states prevented him doing so . Liverpool has changed dramatically and for the better since Ringo upped and left .I would imagine he felt so strange visiting there and he was the stranger even though he was welcomed like the long lost son .His old home is up for demolition but he recently said '' it should be preserved for historical purposes '' like Lennon and McCartney homes have .Has the man has no sense of irony ? lol

.McCartney has not only pumped his money into his home city with such things as the school for performing arts which allows unknown young talented musical people to perfrom and advance their stuff to a wider audience .Their is a statue of john Lennon at liverpool airport unvieled by Yoko ono who also visits the city quite often and the airport is now known as ' John Lennon international airport ' . George harrison returned when he could to the city with a low profile and dignity .

Ringo was the drummer doing what a hundred other drummers could do , keep a decent back beat and was only in the group on luck .He has for to long lived off the back of his beatle fame and is a bitter little man full of resentment ,god knows why? perhaps he hasnt had a boulavard or an airport named after him (hence the dig at Liverpool ) or perhaps he is just as he comes across ,a miserable ol sod ?

As somebody in liverpool recently said about Ringo .

'' he has a sprout for a brain '' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

latchyco wrote: »

The next day he appeared on the J Ross show and said '' he missed nothing about Liverpool or his neighbourhood '' .

Yeah, saw that show and was equally disappointed with that comment. Well, what can we say? That is his problem. It will always be Beatletown. The place will always be magic for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Obnoxious little twerp. If it hadn't been for fans he would have nothing :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Why mention it at all?
    He could just not reply and say Goodnight Vienna to all the mail and bin the lot, lookin for attention I guess, back off boogaloo Ringo's not into the sentimental journey stuff anymore so no more Photographs

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

He shouldn't have been replying to 25 year old letters in that Simpsons episode if he didn't want loads of fan mail. That would have just encouraged people.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

HE is a talentless gob****e.Look at his "career" since The Beatles broke up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Replying to letters for decades must get really tiresome. He didn't need to be snarky about it though. Saw him on J. Ross and was none to impressed by his attitude. I don't see why Liverpudlians should have such a big problem with him disliking the city. Thats his business and he's free to say what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Sad thing is, he'll probably be the last one alive of the four. It's usually the least significant member of the band who lasts the longest.

Replying to letters for decades must get really tiresome. He didn't need to be snarky about it though. Saw him on J. Ross and was none to impressed by his attitude. I don't see why Liverpudlians should have such a big problem with him disliking the city. Thats his business and he's free to say what he wants.
    "Replying to letters gets tiresome". He could hire staff to do it.i know he's a famous tightwad so maybe he doesn't want to spend the millions he made for hanging around with The Beatles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I bet Pete Best would only be delighted to be replying to that much mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think everyones being way too harsh about the guy. After forty five years he doesn't want to answer any more fan mail personally? I would have given up sometime in the mid-eighties. And why should the guy like his hometown? I don't like mine and if I was asked about it I wouldn't speak too kindly of it either. Some of the replies from people here have been really nasty. He's entitled to say what he likes. He's not goose stepping up and down the street in high leather boots denouncing the jew ffs. Leave the old man alone, begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Yup I'd agree with the last poster - relax and leave him alone!

'' liverpool.... i gave you the best years of my life '' (my ass he did ) The next day he appeared on the J Ross show and said '' he missed nothing about Liverpool or his neighbourhood '' .

it's from a jonathan ross interview (by nature tongue-in-cheek) and should be taken as such. I doubt ringo has any serious malevolence towards Liverpool.

Sandor wrote: »
    I think everyones being way too harsh about the guy. After forty five years he doesn't want to answer any more fan mail personally? I would have given up sometime in the mid-eighties. And why should the guy like his hometown? I don't like mine and if I was asked about it I wouldn't speak too kindly of it either. Some of the replies from people here have been really nasty. He's entitled to say what he likes. He's not goose stepping up and down the street in high leather boots denouncing the jew ffs. Leave the old man alone, begrudgers.
    You are missing the point .You can understand if he has being overwhelmed by authograph hunters and had enough of it .But if he didnt miss his home town so much then why did he except the invitation to attend the capital of culture concerts , be wined and dined at no expense to himself ,release an inncorrect record /video which lyrics implied he had personally done wonders for the city (when he had done jack **** ) and then go on tv and be insulting of the city in which he hadnt lived in for over 40 years ? If Bono or Geldof did that wouldent the people of dublin be pissed off ? Yeah , Ringo came to Liverpool,ate the food,drank the drink ,took the cheque then pissed off to his liltte world of blue meanies .Their are many many good liverpudlians who have done much more for their city .He is not fit to tie their shoelaces .

His image as one of the lovable mop tops is secured forever .

But he is really Thomas the plank engine

funktastic wrote: »
    Yup I'd agree with the last poster - relax and leave him alone!

'' liverpool.... i gave you the best years of my life '' (my ass he did ) The next day he appeared on the J Ross show and said '' he missed nothing about Liverpool or his neighbourhood '' .

it's from a jonathan ross interview (by nature tongue-in-cheek) and should be taken as such. I doubt ringo has any serious malevolence towards Liverpool.
    But he could have at least have shown some gratitude towards the city that welcomed him back with open arms and and said something like '' i would like to thank ..blah blah ...'' which would have being a warm gesture but no ,that was beneath him .He just came across on J ross show as on another ringo starr ego trip .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

dunno why are people slagging the guy , or even getting mad cos hes stopped doing it - do they really care that much ??? how sad !

hes been famous for most of his life , thats going to twist anyone , hes a BEATLE for fcuks sake ! super super famous !
    one was shot , the other knifed - etc , lets see any of us behave like "normal " people in that environment.

im not a beatles fan , but
    hes also a great drummer and the band may not have been the same without his particular playing style- a success yes, but not the same .

hes an old man - who gives a **** if some fan now cant get an autograph, hes probably signed half the planet anyway - you have the music - you paid your money - it doesnt entitle you to anymore - if your lucky you may meet him and get one - but thats the thrill of it .
    fair play to him for signing what he did - most other stars wouldnt give it a second thought to even care.

and he slagged off liverpool, big fcuking deal - if they where dumb enough to put on this big show for him, they are the idiots , not him - the mayor whoever was probably a big fan and wanted to splash out - I admire him for doing it and not giving a fcuk.

good man ringo , tell em all to fcuk off , and enjoy the time you have left !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

DaDumTish wrote: »
    good man ringo , tell em all to fcuk off , and enjoy the time you have left !

That's not the problem though. The problem wasn't what he did, but how he did it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 graciegrace

probably wants to visit his octopuss garden in his yellow submarine:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Why exactly should Ringo have to love Liverpool? It's a kip and he grew up in a horrible area of the place. Now he's rich what the hell would he miss. He's just being honest. If you had enough money to buy a house anywhere one of the last places on your list would be Liverpool.

Also, he deserves credit for writing the Beatles best ever song. Octopus' Garden FTW

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Why exactly should Ringo have to love Liverpool? It's a kip and he grew up in a horrible area of the place. Now he's rich what the hell would he miss. He's just being honest. If you had enough money to buy a house anywhere one of the last places on your list would be Liverpool.

Also, he deserves credit for writing the Beatles best ever song. Octopus' Garden FTW
    Correction - What he doesnt miss is the city as he remembered it 40 years ago ,as in 40 years since he lived in it ? .There are parts of every city which are ****ty ,London Manchester Dublin ,Cork .....Comprendi ? .Ringo unlike the other 3 beatles just happened to be born in the slum part and has a big hang up about it .Have you ever seen him give an inteligent interview ? the guy was always coked outta his head .You never get Macca dissing his city cos he has no need to .

And beatles best song was octopus Garden ?? jesus .......hmmm that about sums up your post and i think you know less about beatle music and probably even less about Liverpool capital of culture 08

http://www.liverpool-one.com/website/

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/liverpool-one/2008/05/30/liverpool-one-draws-200-000-on-first-day-64375-20995770/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

What are you, the mayor?

Anyone know his address? I might write a letter just to annoy the old git.;)

Sandor wrote: »
    What are you, the mayor?
    No i'm the warlrus ,polythene pam, or mr kite never quite sure

todolist wrote: »
    Anyone know his address? I might write a letter just to annoy the old git.;)
    Well our cilla (cilla black) is only quoted in todays daily express as saying she LOL'd at Ringo's outburst saying '' he will do that on totally off days because he is not really like that as a person and as for his comment on the J Ross show , that's his sense of humor ,he say s things on a whim '' .Ah , so he really does have a heart and was misquoted .

I blame the press ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 graciegrace

WELL IT AINT GOING TO MATTER MUCH ONE WAY OR ANOTHER TOMORROW.
    PS LOVE ALL THE BEATLES. I SUPPOSE RINGO HAS HIS REASONS.
    LET IT BE.

Correction....

Liverpool is a sh*t-hole, and houses some of the most self-referential whiners on the planet. Ringo can live where he wants. As for paying the fans back, bullsh*t. I don't expect my favourite musicians to be beholden to me because I buy their music. They make the music. I buy it. Fair transaction on both sides. I don't particularly care if they are cnuts or are still Keeping It Real.

stovelid wrote: »
    Liverpool is a sh*t-hole, and houses some of the most self-referential whiners on the planet. Ringo can live where he wants. As for paying the fans back, bullsh*t. I don't expect my favourite musicians to be beholden to me because I buy their music. They make the music. I buy it. Fair transaction on both sides. I don't particularly care if they are cnuts or are still Keeping It Real.
    Sterotypes ? Doesent occur to you that Liverpudlians can have a view and sterotype of any other people in any city to .? By your logic then every irish person in Dubln Cork or any other irish city are nothing but drunken sycopaths who sit around and do nothing but listen to didllieye music .You and the other poster sound like one of those sun tabloid readers who believe every sterotypes of every person in any city anywere .Your probably a manchester united fan to .

But this topic was started about ringos refusing to sign authographs ,not slander the people of a city .He hasnt lived there for 40 years and it's not like anybody there missed him and of course any fool with a millions would want to live in a mansion in the sun regardless of weather he /she is from liverpool ,manchester ,Dublin anywere ( thought that was obious ) .Nobody in liverpool asked ringo to come back to live there and they really couldent give a monkeys were he lives .He was in mho always only the weakest link in a quartet of 4 ,the other 3 being the ones with the real talent .

• Advertisement

You and the other poster sound like one of those sun tabloid readers who believe every sterotypes of every person in any city anywere .Your probably a manchester united fan to .

I was born in Manchester, and have family in Liverpool, so spent a lot of time there growing up. The point is that I don't particularly like Liverpool and neither does Ringo, obviously. Consequently, neither of us live there.

Ringo played drums for the Beatles. Millions of people bought Beatles albums. Ringo can do what he likes and where he likes. He doesn't owe anybody anything just because they bought records he played on.

Advertisement