Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alaskan Malamute??

Options
  • 14-10-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a malamute pup? Had one before and would love another.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 cairns

Contact the breed club you will get their details on the Irish kennel Club web site. There is also a rescue for Malamutes if you were interested in rescueing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

There are plenty for sale on Done Deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

looserock wrote: »
    There are plenty for sale on Done Deal.

Done Deal is absolutely the last place any genuine person should be looking for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Done Deal is absolutely the last place any genuine person should be looking for a dog.

+1

Why would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Why would that be?

Because the vast majority of the people who sell dogs on it are Backyard Breeders or Puppy Millers.

Very, very few reputable breeders advertise their litters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

Please don't buy animals from sites such as Done Deal.

It's a no brainer, anyone who treats animals as a commodity, to be sold to the highest bidder with no thought or care as to where the animal ends up, is to be avoided at all costs.

Because the vast majority of the people who sell dogs on it are Backyard Breeders or Puppy Millers.

I can't disagree with you there.

Perhaps some advise on sorting the good from the bad would be more helpful than condemning the whole site.

It would be very few breeders who don't advertise pups at some stage, somewhere if not donedeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

If they don't advertise then how do they sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

Most reputable breeders sell by word of mouth. Many have waiting lists.

I use the term sell, loosely, as most will not allow you to buy their animals unless you fit their criteria.

If this is not the case, the are not the type of breeders you should want to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Most good breeders dont need to advertise as they are recommended through the breed clubs to people loking for the particular breed so they get enough enquiries that way.

That site is shocking for the amount of terrible ads on it. A lot are reported and removed. Just have a look at the amount of people are advertising more than one breed of puppies for sale,its disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Ok, ya I've had a look a few times. I find it shocking that so many puppies are put up evey few minutes.

I asked that question as I'm not familiar with breeders and have never dealt with one all my dogs have been rescued and I've never had a purebred.

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a malamute pup? Had one before and would love another.

Where did you get you're first malamute from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Hiya,

I run Irish Sled Dog Welfare, rehoming siberian huskies and alaskan malamutes. If you'd like to give me a call, we could have a chat about whether I could help you or not. We have one male malamute in at the moment, aged between 1-2, lovely boy, grey and white. He has a booking on him, pending a homecheck. We're also getting another male in fairly soon, 18 months old, brought up in a home envirornment, used to children as well.

The breed club is a very good place if you have your heart set on a young puppy, they will be able to tell you of any litters due.

Good luck.

Karen 096 49171/085 1054009.
    irishsleddogs@btinternet.com

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Not all people who advertise on done deals are puppy farmers a lot of well known breeders advertise on there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Got him from a breeder in Norther Ireland, But have lost all his details since. Thanks everyone for the replys
    Where did you get you're first malamute from?

If you have his registration papers the breeders name should be on them or you could trace him/her through the kennel club.
    While not all may be puppy mills the vast majority are so for someone trying to figure out where to start looking it is a minefield.

Reg flags to look out for
    add that says not registered avoid like the plague chances are mum has been extensively bred or is too old.
    8 week old puppies that claim they are fully vacinated not possible they are too young to be fully vaccinated.
    Microchipped the breeder should have a reader to be able to show you the chip number coming up if not get a contract which states if the pup is not chipped you can return it and get a full refund and please do return the puppy as if more people did these breeders would have to microchip.
    Also look for a contract allowing you to get your puppy health checked by a vet and if the pup is not healthy a full refund will be given.
    If they do not want you to come to there house do not even consider buying the puppy.
    Also make sure the person selling the pup is in actually fact the breeder there are a lot of dog dealers out there. Make sure you see the mother and the other dogs on the premised. If there are sheds/ kennel buildings that you are not allowed into then walk away.
    If you are not been given a diet sheet leave the puppy.
    Look careful at the adds and the way the pups are being handled also some of the photos you can tell they are staged sitting on a couch as the pup is frozen solid.

The breeder should want to know more about you than you do about the pup they should quiz you they should also be able to discuss what health concerns are in the breed and be able to prove there dogs have been tested. A good breeder will have a non breeding contract on their puppies they will give you diet sheets and some will do a complete puppy pack with information on the breed grooming etc.

Another thing when you ring say you are ringing about the add if they ask which puppies you are ringing about you will know there are more than one type of puppy being bred on the premised.

cairns wrote: »
    If you have his registration papers the breeders name should be on them or you could trace him/her through the kennel club.
    While not all may be puppy mills the vast majority are so for someone trying to figure out where to start looking it is a minefield.

add that says not registered avoid like the plague chances are mum has been extensively bred or is too old.
    8 week old puppies that claim they are fully vacinated not possible they are too young to be fully vaccinated.
    Microchipped the breeder should have a reader to be able to show you the chip number coming up if not get a contract which states if the pup is not chipped you can return it and get a full refund and please do return the puppy as if more people did these breeders would have to microchip.
    Also look for a contract allowing you to get your puppy health checked by a vet and if the pup is not healthy a full refund will be given.
    If they do not want you to come to there house do not even consider buying the puppy.
    Also make sure the person selling the pup is in actually fact the breeder there are a lot of dog dealers out there. Make sure you see the mother and the other dogs on the premised. If there are sheds/ kennel buildings that you are not allowed into then walk away.
    Look careful at the adds and the way the pups are being handled also some of the photos you can tell they are staged sitting on a couch as the pup is frozen solid.

The breeder should want to know more about you than you do about the pup they should quiz you they should also be able to discuss what health concerns are in the breed and be able to prove there dogs have been tested. A good breeder will have a non breeding contract on their puppies they will give you diet sheets and some will do a complete puppy pack with information on the breed grooming etc.

Another thing when you ring say you are ringing about the add if they ask which puppies you are ringing about you will know there are more than one type of puppy being bred on the premised.

Some very good advice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ismishacats

Yes,

It's ridiculous to brand everyone who advertises in one place as bad OR good. Kennel Club and breed listings can include as many bad breeders as good, in the dog world and the cat world. And word of mouth? That's all good and well for common breeds and old established breeders. Even then just because someone's being breeding for decades doesn't meant they are a good breeder. I think Donedeal is an excellent platform for promoting less known breeds. If used responsibly. But thats the key...RESPONISBILITY...on both sides. I use it, and not necessarily for selling kittens (as I generally have a long waitiong list), but rather for letting the public know where to get information. I get many enquiries about how to show and how the cat fancy works. Ok I also get dozens of emails fron nubmnuts who I wouldn't entrust with a garden gnome, but if I've helped one person in ten it's worthwhile.

The key is to be a responsible buyer. Know what are the characteristics of a good breeder and what regulations they should be working by.

Everyone should do their homework and know what to expect from a good breeder, and be prepared to be questioned and be able to satisfy them that you will provide a suitable lifelong home. As I say it's a two way street, so wherever you get the contact details from, you should assess each breeder against a high standard and expect to be assessed by them equally.

Stephen

Stephen you are so right it is the sensible buyer that does there homework in advance and is willing to wait on the right puppy. Also if a breeder tells you the breed is not for you listen to what they are saying so many people see a puppy and think wow that is cute will get one of them. Another thing a reputable breeder will do is tell you the breeds misgivings like selective hearing to the word come needs a secure garden not leaving a door open keen gardners etc. Do your homework in advance and ask the questions you know the answers too like does the coat need a lot of grooming if you are told no and you know otherwise end the call.
    Sadly I do not think Done deals is being used responsibly there are way too many adds for dogs on there and numerous of them have multiple adds or the adds appear regularly so they are churning out pups.

The adds that really get up my nose is order your puppy for christmas sorry but that really annoys me they are not a turkey that is going to be eaten on Christmas day and the rescues pick up the pieces the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ismishacats

Yes, there are definitely some serious problems with the free ads sites, and although a sensible person can filter the good ads from the bad the only resolution for a buyer is to educate themselves. I must say I get very angry at some of their advertisments boasting "the next must have accessory" GGGGRRRRRR!!!! False representation is also commonplace, for example selling semi-longhaired moggie kittens as PERSIANS unvaccinated and just six weeks old!!! Or people marketing their breed superficially with all the good points but not emphasising their unique points which may make them unsuitable for some people. Only recently I made complaints to the webmasters and got nothing back but a bitchy reply. Sadly the site owners do not exercise quality control so it's down to the buyer to do so.

It's particularly frustrating with pedigree cats as reputable breeders in accordance with governing council rules adhere to strict protocols, never selling kittens under the age of 13 weeks, blood testing parents for FeLV and FIV, having kittens fully vaccinated, registering non-active, etc. only to see unvaccinated, unregistered, and very young kittens for sale at prices where it is obvious that their breeders couldn't have raised the litters to this standard. My feeling on this is rather than ignore such websites, I use them so I can hopefully let the public see what they should expect in contrast to adds that are just trying the hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

OP,
    If it's any help, there is someone at the Pet Expo this weekend who appeared to be a Malamute breeder, she might be able to help you get in touch with other genuine breeders? (she has two malamutes with her)

The others covered some great advice, ask a lot of questions, go to see their kennels/premises, and run a mile if they say they'll deliver a puppy to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Padjo1981 wrote: »

I think they have two young malamute dogs at the DSPCA. They are advertised on the website. Maybe rescueing one if possible would be better than spending loads of money on a puppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tallullah

Hi there, I am trying to find 2 Alaskan Malamutes to do a winter wonderland photo on Tuesday, November 11th in Dublin at 11am. Anyone got any doggies with stars in their eyes and we will give you the pictures afterwards??? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Only recently I made complaints to the [DoneDeal] webmasters and got nothing back but a bitchy reply. Sadly the site owners do not exercise quality control so it's down to the buyer to do so.

I have done the same- one ad I reported stated "all breeds of dogs wanted, will buy entire litters". Another person had 4 different breeds of puppies for sale and from the pictures they looked to be living in filth. Then there's the "Book now for Xmas" ads.

All I get from DoneDeal is "contact the ISPCA". They will not disclose their policy for these ads.

Yet according to their puppy farm policy:

We do not tolerate puppy farms on our web site.

We love dogs in all shapes and sizes and would hate to think that puppy farmers use our web site in their despicable dealings.

Please help us keep our site free from puppy farmers, your help is much appreciated.

Complete load of bull.

Another interesting point is their Restricted breed policy- they do not allow the advertising of Staffies. So responsible breeders of Staffies cannot advertise but the webmasters think it is OK for their site to be riddled with ads from puppy farmers. One recent one was "3 litters of Akita pups for sale. Special deals on breeding pairs".

Oh that add got right up my nose was it the one where you paid extra to collect on Christmas eve and the poor puppy was going to be washed as well and the other one for mini dobes. Reporing the adds does not seem to work as I know somone who reported an add for false advertisement to both the advertiser and the web master and it is still there. Yes the standard response is contact the ISPCA the next time I get that I am going to reply you ask people to report adds and then tell them to contact the ISPCA but it is not the ISPCA website it is your website.

I wish the government would ban sites that advertise puppies on mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Oh that add got right up my nose was it the one where you paid extra to collect on Christmas eve and the poor puppy was going to be washed as well and the other one for mini dobes. Reporing the adds does not seem to work as I know somone who reported an add for false advertisement to both the advertiser and the web master and it is still there. Yes the standard response is contact the ISPCA the next time I get that I am going to reply you ask people to report adds and then tell them to contact the ISPCA but it is not the ISPCA website it is your website.

I wish the government would ban sites that advertise puppies on mass.

There is currently someone with 3 different breeds for sale and their conditions don't look too good. I have reported this person previously but obviously it was ignored.
    If anyone is interested in looking at the ads, all 3 breeds are small and fluffy, 2 of them are breeds that are always white.
    I don't want to post a link.

Someone else has three different breeds of dogs advertised at stud and guess what one of those dogs is advertised elsewhere for sale.

Now surely red flags should go off when they see three different breeds in one add it is not rocket science to figure out that is not someone with a genuine interest in a breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Murraydeb

Hiya. I have 2 mals in Dublin if you are still looking. Do you have any more info? I'm suppossed to be working from 12, but I could push it back by a few hours.
    Debs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Tallullah

Hi Debs,
    That would be fantastic -11am until about 11.45 is the time. How can I get in touch with you?
    Thanks a mill!

Advertisement