Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booker

Options
  • 14-10-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

What a disappointment that Sebastian Barry's novel A Secret Scripture didn't win - an extraordinary and wonderful book.

Has anyone read the winner, The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga? Is it good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

No. It thought it was dire, and I was furious that it won. I read the six books and I would have accepted any of the other five shortlisted books - admittedly to different degrees - as winners. I know one other person who read all six nominees, and they hated The White Tiger too.

It ranks alongside The Line of Beauty beating Cloud Atlas in 2004 as one of the worst Booker decisions in recent memory.

And I do agree with you that the Barry book was excellent.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No. It thought it was dire, and I was furious that it won. I read the six books and I would have accepted any of the other five shortlisted books - admittedly to different degrees - as winners. I know one other person who read all six nominees, and they hated The White Tiger too.

It ranks alongside The Line of Beauty beating Cloud Atlas in 2004 as one of the worst Booker decisions in recent memory.

And I do agree with you that the Barry book was excellent.

I read The White Tiger and quite liked it to bo honest. Haven't read the other shortlisted ones but intend on reading Sebastian Barry's one.
    Did you not like it in general as a stand alone book, or was it comparing it to the other shortlisted novels that made you dislike it?

Advertisement